Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Front air bags

My right front air bag has a hole in it so I just ordered two new bags from company called Air Lift. For those interested in price....the two bags and hoses cost 79 dollars with tax included. My question is.... the way my system is set up now is two seperate systems....I would like to combine the two by having one air servicing point. I'm thinking this would assure equal pressure in both bags. Another thought I had is to continue with the two systems but to install 2 small air gauges in line so I can put same amount of air in each. Has anyone done either of these two choices? Also....I see where the directions for installing these bags call for putting anywhere from 50 to 90 psi in the bags. What is the effect of more or less pressure....what pressure seems to be best.
Thanks for the input
Charles
Old 05-27-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I would keep the air bags separate. If both air bags are on the same line, as you said, the pressure would be the same, but when you make a turn and the vehicle leans the the air would be pushed to the opposite side makeing it lean even more. As for the air pressure: under the minimum pressure will destroy the air bags. And the more pressure you use the higher and or harder the ride becomes. Separate air gauges is a great idea.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
TN2 keep them on two seperate lines. I put remote valves on my Champion but have not done this yet to the AS. I brought the old units valves out into the headlight molding. Very accessable but out of the way.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
air bags

Thanks for the input..... I can see (now) how that the air would be forced into the other bag on turns. I should know better....guess you'd have to put check valves in line and I think that would be over kill. I like the head light idea too. Someone had mounted the servicing valves on a panel right in front of the radiator. That panel had to be blocking 25% of the air flow thru the radiator.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Front Air Bag

I got both of the front air bags changed....Not really that hard of a task. The harest part was getting the lower ball joint to break loose. After much WD 40 they finally came loose. The instructions that came with the new bags said to use a method where you do not remove the lower ball joint but I feel that it would be next to impossible to do it their way. Their way you have to collasp the old air bag and pull it through a 2 inch hole in the lower A frame. Then you have to roll the new bag up and try and push it through that hole. It might be possible but I feel taking lower ball joint down would be much quicker and not near as hard on old fingers.
As for the ride....I aired the bags to 70 pounds and found the ride to be much improved. I think it cut the sway of the MH in about half. I still think I will put new shocks on but the RV is much better just like it is.
I think the complete job probably took about 5 hours....my jack was not the best....probably could do the job in about 4 hours with a good floorjack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	38319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	38320  

Old 05-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2
My right front air bag has a hole in it so I just ordered two new bags from company called Air Lift. For those interested in price....the two bags and hoses cost 79 dollars with tax included. My question is.... the way my system is set up now is two seperate systems....I would like to combine the two by having one air servicing point. I'm thinking this would assure equal pressure in both bags. Another thought I had is to continue with the two systems but to install 2 small air gauges in line so I can put same amount of air in each. Has anyone done either of these two choices? Also....I see where the directions for installing these bags call for putting anywhere from 50 to 90 psi in the bags. What is the effect of more or less pressure....what pressure seems to be best.
Thanks for the input
Charles
Charles.

The front air bags "must" be inflated to 55 psi, no more, and no less.

That is the spec that GM set forth with Airstream for proper steering and handling.

It is not wise to change it from original, let alone hook them into the rear bag air lines.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
air bag pressure

Thanks Andy for the correct pressure for my front air bags. I've lowered the pressure to 55 and the ride is great.

Charles
Old 06-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #8
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Shocks

I installed two new front shocks yesterday. Took the RV out on a 50 mile ride and was so very pleased with the ride. I can actually steer with one hand now....before it was both hands on the wheel and constant steering corrections. My wife even said it made her nervous just seeing me do all that steering wheel movement. When I think back to driving the RV all the way home from AZ I really don't know how I made it. I kid you not....the steering was so loose I was afraid to take my eyes off the road even to take a quick glance at the instrument panel to check the speed. WOW what a difference. It's something how all you got to do is throw a little money (sometimes lots of money) and these problems just go away. Anyway....any of you out there with loose steering...put those new airbags and shocks on....you'll be amazed.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Did you also do the stabilizer? Made a huge difference on my rig.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Air Bags

I didn't do the stabilizer... I wanted to do one item at a time to actually see what made the biggest difference. I started with the air bags because one bag had a hole in it so I knew that would help a lot. The new bags did improve the steering but still not what I wanted....so I then replaced the shocks. I am so pleased with the steering now that I don't think I will do the stabilizer right away....to be honest I don't see how the steering could get much better than it is right now.....real happy to be able to say that....compared with how bad it was before I did any changes.

Don't you just love these Classic Argosy motorhomes... I get alot of joy just looking out my house window just to see Dixie Dove in the drive way.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
On my 345 I also have the AirLift bags. My coach came with the AirLift extention lines which extened the two lines at the radiator support. Each terminates with a schrader valve at this point. From here they T into another line which runs up inside the coach to an air pressure gauge on the dash (next to the read air pressure gauge). From the gauge it terminates at a single schrader air valve mounted in the dash next to the gauge. I keep a small air compressor (12V cigarette lighter type) next to me seat so I can fill the bags from inside the coach. The entire system has been very reliable and very easy to maintain..

I also second the 55psi. Ran mine too high for years. Harsh ride and cupped both steer tires (which were also over inflated). It's important to run yoru tires and air system based on the coach, not the tire rating or bag rating....lesson learned.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
sarasota , Florida
simplifing front air bag replacment

Replaced the front air bags on my 1978 28' argosy yesterday. followed the instructions at first ( hate it when I do that ) Air lift sugests tieing ma string around the deflated, rolled up air bag to ease installation. string or no string it's a bear. In reallity the string got in the way. With the bag half in and hung up on the string, a moment for thought prevailed ( and a cold refreshing beverage ) dug out three hose clamps approx 4" variety, slamed two on the partialy installed bag, moving the bagin became easy, sliding the clamp down as needed. took about an hour for the second bag. two to three for the first bag. ( and multiple cold refreshing beverages, BEER ! ) walla your done.
Forgive the typo's reverse key is inop on my key board.
Gettin there Roy
roy sedgwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 26' Argosy 26
London , Ohio
Thumbs up AirLift!!

I have a new set and read the instructions sounds easy, Just like putting 5 Lbs. of $h1t in a 2 pound bag. The bags seem pretty stiff ,but I thought I would see if I could use My A/C vacuum pump to compress it. Worth a try.

GOOD THINGS TAKE TIME!
PS: Do you think they would work if you just put them in the glove box
slow-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
slow_canoe,

The 4" clamp method does work, and works well, actually. I replaced mine last year, and the only thing I did differently was to use my floor jack to push the bags past rib in the middle and in the rest of the way.

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
Front air bags

Looks like I will need to do the same to mine. I have one (PS) that loses air. What amount of PSI should be in the tires? Is it different steer to rear?
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darel View Post
Looks like I will need to do the same to mine. I have one (PS) that loses air. What amount of PSI should be in the tires? Is it different steer to rear?
Darel,

On our 310 I run 75 psi in front and 65 psi in the rear. You will likely need to experiment with pressures until you find what handles and feels the best. The more modern tires can tolerate a lot higher pressures. However just because the tire says max inflation of 95 psi or 105 psi doesn't mean that's where they ride best.

The Chevy P30 manual lists a wide range of tire pressures and the weight they can support at that pressure. That's how I determined what pressures to use for our 310.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote