Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario
Fridge inconsistent performance

1976 Argosy MH 24'. My fridge goes from performing great(frozen freezer/lovely cold in fridge) to barely working at all. I will typically plug-in and get RV ready for trip a day or two in advance, always starts up fine. Then I drive out to camp and plug-in(electrical only) and have to deal with a fridge that barely works.

This does not happen every time though. Have had it checked out by a HVACtech and he said thermo is good and old amonia units fail with time(like anything else).

I heard that taking the fridge out and tipping it down will alleviate any blockage in the amonia.

Has anybody had this problem with this vintage. How did you fix? I found a guy that sells remanufactured cooling units, but not for one that old. Ready to purchase a used unit but they are few and far between and rather pricey.
realpank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try running it on propane and if the problem persists you probably have a bad cooling unit. If that fixes the problems look for issues with the electrical system and heater circuits.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings realpank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realpank View Post
1976 Argosy MH 24'. My fridge goes from performing great(frozen freezer/lovely cold in fridge) to barely working at all. I will typically plug-in and get RV ready for trip a day or two in advance, always starts up fine. Then I drive out to camp and plug-in(electrical only) and have to deal with a fridge that barely works.

This does not happen every time though. Have had it checked out by a HVACtech and he said thermo is good and old amonia units fail with time(like anything else).

I heard that taking the fridge out and tipping it down will alleviate any blockage in the amonia.

Has anybody had this problem with this vintage. How did you fix? I found a guy that sells remanufactured cooling units, but not for one that old. Ready to purchase a used unit but they are few and far between and rather pricey.
The one thought that I had is whether the coach may be parked where the refrigerator isn't adequately leveled when the cooling issue presents itself. These Vintage Dometic RV Refrigerators want to be as close to level as possible (place level on freezer floor).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Let me second the fact that you need to be very close to level to get the early systems to work properly. My 63 has the original fridge and is very touchy.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, run it level, and on propane and report back to let us know if it works properly. In general, they work or not. Working normally then not working is a sign to me of some electrical problem on the 120 volt side, not a refrigeration issue. As Kevin says, level of course.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
If possible park with the refrigerator side of the trailer away from the sun or situate it so it is shaded by trees, etc. That can make a world of difference.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
Windsor , Ontario

Thank-you so much for all your suggestions:

I live in the flatlands of south-western Ontario and don't take trips more than 3 hours from home so our campsites are fairly level. That being said if a couple of degrees will throw my Sweedish chiller off...then guilty as parked.

A plumbers level will now become part of my kit and definately level my unit when parking. I may even let it slip down the driveway from level to slant and see if that's it.

I have never used the propane system on this unit(and had not planned on it...I pay for power and use that exclusevly) The controls on the fridge are not great and I have not tried to adjust it as when it works..it works great.

I have attached pics from the trip when it did fail and yes, I was tilting from front to back.

Fantastic input makes this forum priceless.

Cheers fellow travellers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	162826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	706.8 KB
ID:	162827  

realpank is offline   Reply With Quote