Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
fresh water fill

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for the fresh water filler? When the previous owner took out the tank they busted it pretty good

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_120407.png
Views:	316
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	177064
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement for the fresh water filler? When the previous owner took out the tank they busted it pretty good

Attachment 177064
There is a similar replacement, but not exactly the same.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Andy,
Can you point us to the replacement and would it work for my 07 Classic with some rework. I would like to lose my plastic door (it's the last plastic piece of hardware on my unit). I can't find a suitable stainless or aluminum door with the connections I need for fill and vent. Ideas?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Another source is marine items. Have a look at ebay seller "halfpricemarine" for some nice-looking filler ports.

Not sure how they would work with the air vent on your Airstream though.

Perhaps someone that has already changed out the port could comment.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There is a similar replacement, but not exactly the same.

Andy
Where can we find the similar replacement you mentioned? The one on my Argosy has been busted similar to Matt's.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Another source is marine items. Have a look at ebay seller "halfpricemarine" for some nice-looking filler ports.

Not sure how they would work with the air vent on your Airstream though.

Perhaps someone that has already changed out the port could comment.
Thanks, Aage,

I've looked a marine sites til I'm blue in the face. The opening in the skin is about 4 or 5" square. I cant find anything that looks like it belongs on the side of an AS. Most of the marine stuff is round and small.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I was thinking it over and I might just seal up the opening on my motorhome. Instead I will tap into the city water lines right where it comes through the door and put a valve in so I can fill just by opening the valve (I have to use a hose anyway, right?). There will also be a filter from inside as well so I can use water jugs to fill the tank. I have relocated my water tank to the drivers side on top of the wheel well so I can use the space on the passengers side for storage. I have a second 18 gallon tank that I can place in the storage area on the passengers side in the event of a long trip but it will have to tee it in. We don't go on many trips where a water hook up is not available so I don't see this as a big deal.

Opinions and criticisms are welcome to make sure this is a good idea.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi again!

Well, as for the size, a nice square (or even round, I suppose) patch all nicely riveted in would set it off smartly and solve your size problem.

Also, the point of the large square opening is I believe, to give you the ability to fill from any source, like a bucket dipped into a stream, as one example. To remove that opening reduces your possibilities...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt,

That's an interesting idea. I've found filling from the potable water opening to be a royal pain in the backside. I assume you would have two valves inside, one feeds the water system directly the other would fill the tank. At the moment I don't see a downside to your plan.

One thing to remember however, the water tank isn't meant to be pressurized so you'll need to be careful about that.

If you need a small patch panel to cover the opening let me know I could probably come up with something.

I might consider doing something similar although instead of water jug filling from the inside I'll just use the existing opening on the outside.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
I was thinking it over and I might just seal up the opening on my motorhome. Instead I will tap into the city water lines right where it comes through the door and put a valve in so I can fill just by opening the valve (I have to use a hose anyway, right?). There will also be a filter from inside as well so I can use water jugs to fill the tank. I have relocated my water tank to the drivers side on top of the wheel well so I can use the space on the passengers side for storage. I have a second 18 gallon tank that I can place in the storage area on the passengers side in the event of a long trip but it will have to tee it in. We don't go on many trips where a water hook up is not available so I don't see this as a big deal.

Opinions and criticisms are welcome to make sure this is a good idea.
You will still need a vent for both letting air in while using the water and for when filling. The vent line should be at least as big as the fill line in case you over fill the tank (also located where water coming out wont do damage).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I was talking it over with a friend/co-worker this morning and I think I am going to go ahead with it. We ran through a couple of flow diagrams and everything appears that it will work that way I have imagined.

I am going to keep the original filler door but it will be sealed up from the inside. This way I do not have a patch on the outside and if for some reason in the future I wanted to utilize it I could. Also, the two tanks that I have are both vented at the top, all I have to do is connect a garden hose or something similar and run it through a hole in the floor for venting.

I will post some pictures when I am all done.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt, sounds like a workable plan. I think you're smart to leave the original filler in place. Something you might consider, since the filler housing is ABS plastic you can repair it well enough to where you could fasten a hose to it. You could then use the filler as your vent to the outside.

After you started this thread I've been thinking about it and since I have to totally replumb the coach I think I'll set things up the way you are with the exception of the vent. I'll just use the existing outside filler port.

Brad