Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
Floor, Painting, and Windows It beings…

Floor, Painting, and Windows It beings…
I started by buying a 1976 Argosy motor home 28 feet. I jump on the website and notice how everyone was so helpful to everyone. I then showed my wife and ask for her advice (because I want to keep living lol). She said it would be great to take the kids traveling around the state and or country. I then found her, the one that I feel was the one. My son and I call her “Bad Wolf”. I went and drove about an hour away to see her and my wife and I said let’s do it. The kids are in lala land with the idea that we can drive to and use the bathroom while moving. Now they need just a TV and a DVD player and the Wolf will be there home. I just want to add a blu-ray player surround sound and some tech toys to the Wolf. Right now I have had the unit for about two weeks and the pictures show the wall paper removed chairs and carpet removed and also mice Poisson removed or trying.
Here is my issue the floor is weak not just because of water but from it being thin and age. Back in the 70’s they must of been light weight Rver’s. So my wife is saying that marine grade would be great but $60.00 a sheet is just so costly. Then at the Home depot, Lowes, and Menards store they tell me they would have to order it and it would take 3 to 4 weeks and that they would have to ask their wood supplier how much this special order will be? So I found plywood that is water proof on one side for $25.00 a sheet. If I buy this one do I place the water proof side up or down? The windows seem hard and look like I can’t afford it but after talking to some online friends and Inland I guess I will buy and be able to afford it. Now painting, I want to take the panels down so I can paint them but I am scared to drill out the rivet and remove the panel. I see that I have allot of rivets that pop out inside and so I notice that the plastic has formed it’s a different shape. Also the previous owners used screw when something pop. In my eyes she is fixable and able to keep my family on the road for many years to come. I have until june 23 to get her going or she stays and I drive the family van to Mt Rushmore.
I have a wife and 2 kids 8 and 4, I just don’t want them to have a bad vacation. I don’t have a barn to repair her in or allot of money but need to fix her. I am the only one working (wife stays at home with kids) I am a full time student at DeVry University and need to fix my home up also. The house I live in is from the 60’s and has allot of old stuff like tile wood cabinets and stuff. My house is the old house in the middle of a new development. They have rules I don’t they have to pay for association I don’t they can park a RV or have a kiddies’ pool in the back of the house I can. They have to cut their grass no more than 2 inches in length I can it grow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 384.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	80373   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 386.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	80374  

Name:	RV 403.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	80375   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 401.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	80376  

Name:	RV 393.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	80377  
ardeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I would just use regular grade plywood and top coat it with marine grade varnish (spar varnish) or some type of good epoxy sealer. If you do buy the $25 plywood put the sealed side up. There is an aluminum skin under the wood floor that protects it from road moisture.

I wouldn't take the interior panels out to paint them, way to much work for little or no gain. Do a search of the forums for interior painting, I think you'll find a lot of good information to get you started.

In order to get ready for your vacation I would concentrate on the mechanicals to make sure the motorhome is safe to drive. Brakes and steering are the two most important items on your motorhome. Without them being up to snuff you'll find driving the motorhome an unpleasant experience. Cosmetics and other repairs can be made when you have the time and money to do so. This is the approach we took on our 310 when we bought it and while its not necessarily pleasing to the eye its still a lot of fun and above all it SAFE.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Cosmetics and other repairs can be made when you have the time and money to do so. This is the approach we took on our 310 when we bought it and while its not necessarily pleasing to the eye its still a lot of fun and above all it SAFE.

Good luck!

Brad
I must be going blind or something. Brad and Susan's 310 is very nice. It has made me crave a classic motorhome.