Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas
Drum Brake Cylinder replacement -Autozone parts have issues

FYI: I had some major issues when replacing the brake cylinders with Autozone parts. This applies to both sides/parts.

The Part Number: 33655 (driver side)
Part Number: 33656 (pass side)

If you try and use a regular brake line nut it will bottom out. I had this issue on the drivers side but didn't keep the old cylinders to find out what the deal was. I thought the nuts were special. No, Autozone parts are not correct. 1/16ish off makes a difference. I used a special spacer I bought from a place that makes hoses/lines. I cut the spacer down to just the big part. (picture doesn't show that..)

Also, the 3 bolts that hold the cylinder on are 5/8.. Good luck finding those!! I used Grade 8 3/4 with washers to get the correct length.. FUN!!

Maybe Napa would be better, but it seems all the auto parts stores carry the same part in relation to a 76 P30. Donno..

FYI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	253578   Click image for larger version

Name:	spacer.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	253579  

MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
MrJ,

I bought all of my rear brake parts for my 74 Argosy from Rockauto and fortunately had no issues like you experienced.

Sadly it's getting harder and harder to find good quality replacement parts.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
AZ... well, a lot of parts are 'recycled'... and not by true 'professionals'... sometimes to 'minimum acceptable level'... by experience, not opinion...

I go to a local 'old time' part supplier and buy 'new'.. especially on important items like 'brakes'...

AZ also bumps up price for items like windshield wipers, etc.. that are made by others only as 'new'.. in the 'bubble packaging'..

One example.. I bought a "grade 8" bolt from AZ for my HD... as I was torquing, the bolt head sheared off.. on inspection there was a "void" between the shank and head.. It was doomed to fail... had it failed when I was 'running' the HD, it would have been very, very ugly..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote