Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 24' Argosy 24
SW Florida , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 53
Images: 8
Door Lock Replacement?

Anyone ever replace the door lock? Ours does not seem to be original and does not lock, anyway. I can't sleep with a gun on my pillow all the time!!!
__________________

Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,736
Elisa, there are replacement options available. None of them are original fit and each would require some sort of modification to the door.

I know you can use a Bargman L300 as that is what's on one of the doors I have for my Argosy.

If you decide to go with a Bargman I could probably get you pictures of what needs to be done so you at least have a guide as to what to do.

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
Anyone ever replace the door lock? Ours does not seem to be original and does not lock, anyway. I can't sleep with a gun on my pillow all the time!!!
Could you please post pictures and any info written on the lock you presently have in your door that you state is NOT original.

Brad is the man to figure out what and where you can replace it with, but people have butchered other brand locks into Argosy's and Airstreams before so we need to know what size hole and lock brand that you have.

As for the gun under the pillow, I prefer a Kukri as it doesn't wake up the other campers if used properly.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
okgypsy's Avatar
 
1966 20' Globetrotter
lexington , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
Door lock

I'm interested also in knowing if a door lock from Home Depot, etc would work I have no door lock no deadbolt not even a door knob.
okgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
okgypsy's Avatar
 
1966 20' Globetrotter
lexington , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
Following... I've got same question.
okgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgypsy View Post
I'm interested also in knowing if a door lock from Home Depot, etc would work I have no door lock no deadbolt not even a door knob.
I doubt you'll find anyone on the motorhome side of the forums that would know much about a 66 Globetrotter!

You would probably have better luck posting your question on the trailer side of the forums.

Good luck!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 803
Images: 5
If you are referring to the deadbolt integrated into the silver door handle. I have replaced mine. I used a schlage deadbolt mechanism. Google the site and you'll find some threads. From memory, Brad did one which showed the Airstream modified pin which turns the lock. This seems to fail or cause failure over time, but is an easy fix. Don't drop the mechanism between the skins.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
1976 Argosy 20
1975 20' Argosy 20
LA , California
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 38
Hi

I just had keys made for my 24 and 20 a guy (locksmith) in Phoenix did them he charged me 80 bucks for both locks. You could you take the lock apart and send the appropriate part in the mail?

Mark Kessman 602 242-6422
zkeyman@amarkslockandkey.com
heyraylata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
1991 25' Excella
Chino Valley , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 12
Hi Brad, when I do searches on my 1991 Excella door handle lockset ~ your name seems to pop up. I hope that you may be kind enough to answer my question.

Symptom: Exterior key side, key would not engage deadbolt but thumb latch inside trailer would engage deadbolt

Action so far: Removed handle and lockset. A lot of rust on back of tumblers where a square shaft is attached. Due to rust it appears that the end of square shaft that is attached to back of tumblers has rusted away. I can literally spin it 360 degrees.

Question: Can I buy an entire replacement assembly or can I buy a new square shaft and replace mine that has rusted away.

Lastly: I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Aznomad450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznomad450 View Post
Hi Brad, when I do searches on my 1991 Excella door handle lockset ~ your name seems to pop up. I hope that you may be kind enough to answer my question.
I've had the unfortunate experience of having seen three different latch assemblies that Airstream used on the Argosies and Classics

Quote:
Symptom: Exterior key side, key would not engage deadbolt but thumb latch inside trailer would engage deadbolt

Action so far: Removed handle and lockset. A lot of rust on back of tumblers where a square shaft is attached. Due to rust it appears that the end of square shaft that is attached to back of tumblers has rusted away. I can literally spin it 360 degrees.

Question: Can I buy an entire replacement assembly or can I buy a new square shaft and replace mine that has rusted away.

Lastly: I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Can you post pictures of your latch assembly? I'm not sure when Airstream changed from the Keeler latch to something new and different. Also are you referring to the latch assembly in the door or as found on the Classics the deadbolt located in the door jam?

Pictures would really help.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I've had the unfortunate experience of having seen three different latch assemblies that Airstream used on the Argosies and Classics



Can you post pictures of your latch assembly? I'm not sure when Airstream changed from the Keeler latch to something new and different. Also are you referring to the latch assembly in the door or as found on the Classics the deadbolt located in the door jam?

Pictures would really help.

Brad
I am following along keenly! Some folks will remember back in Sept'ish 2016 I was using Bella as a mobile base whilst we completed the move back to UK. I got locked out with exactly the same symptoms and put it down to the inner latch lever being fouled by the sliding panel on the screen door. Well it was, but the fundamental problem was that the key throw from outside slides past the point where the bolt moves....the sliding panel fouling just added resistance to the bolt moving and amplified the issue. Since then I have avoided using the dead-bolt unless we are inside!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
heslinhotel's Avatar
 
1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 168
Trying to repair or replace an older AS lock is difficult at best. If overnight security is prime concern just contact Vintage Trailer Supply in VT. They carry a deadbolt lock that mounts in frame of door. Has a key on exterior. Works well during travel keeping door from swinging open. The dead bolt is cut down to be 1/2" wide not the standard 1".
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Trying to repair or replace an older AS lock is difficult at best. If overnight security is prime concern just contact Vintage Trailer Supply in VT. They carry a deadbolt lock that mounts in frame of door. Has a key on exterior. Works well during travel keeping door from swinging open.
In my case it is the deadbolt, not the regular latch lock that has failed - it looks similar to the VTS unit (below) but the bolt retracts flush back into the lock, not the reinforcing circle of the modern unit and so is not a direct replacement.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
Lichfield , Staffs
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Elisa, there are replacement options available. None of them are original fit and each would require some sort of modification to the door.

I know you can use a Bargman L300 as that is what's on one of the doors I have for my Argosy.

If you decide to go with a Bargman I could probably get you pictures of what needs to be done so you at least have a guide as to what to do.

Brad
Hey Brad looks like mines gone on my 34 limited is this what you used to replace it with??

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airstream-Parts/Doors-and-Locks/Handles-and-Hardware?product_id=1670

Also how easy is it from the inside to remove the lock and stuff? It looks like it's in a metal box behind the wall?!

Thanks

Tom
__________________

t0mmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
replacement keys for main door lock (have number) nickglase Classic Motorhomes 8 06-22-2017 04:50 AM
Entry Door Lock Replacement mortond Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 8 05-05-2014 08:53 AM
Door Lock Loose interior Lock Pin.. Bootsinister Doors & Locks 12 10-08-2012 10:19 AM
Door lock replacement for 1955 trailer "?" RichardT 1950-1955 Flying Cloud 2 10-12-2005 06:29 AM
Door Lock replacement? 3Ms75Argosy Doors & Locks 2 08-15-2002 11:12 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.