Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
North Port , Florida
Door Lock Replacement?

Anyone ever replace the door lock? Ours does not seem to be original and does not lock, anyway. I can't sleep with a gun on my pillow all the time!!!
Elisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Elisa, there are replacement options available. None of them are original fit and each would require some sort of modification to the door.

I know you can use a Bargman L300 as that is what's on one of the doors I have for my Argosy.

If you decide to go with a Bargman I could probably get you pictures of what needs to be done so you at least have a guide as to what to do.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
Anyone ever replace the door lock? Ours does not seem to be original and does not lock, anyway. I can't sleep with a gun on my pillow all the time!!!
Could you please post pictures and any info written on the lock you presently have in your door that you state is NOT original.

Brad is the man to figure out what and where you can replace it with, but people have butchered other brand locks into Argosy's and Airstreams before so we need to know what size hole and lock brand that you have.

As for the gun under the pillow, I prefer a Kukri as it doesn't wake up the other campers if used properly.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
lexington , Oklahoma
Door lock

I'm interested also in knowing if a door lock from Home Depot, etc would work I have no door lock no deadbolt not even a door knob.
okgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
lexington , Oklahoma
Following... I've got same question.
okgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgypsy View Post
I'm interested also in knowing if a door lock from Home Depot, etc would work I have no door lock no deadbolt not even a door knob.
I doubt you'll find anyone on the motorhome side of the forums that would know much about a 66 Globetrotter!

You would probably have better luck posting your question on the trailer side of the forums.

Good luck!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
If you are referring to the deadbolt integrated into the silver door handle. I have replaced mine. I used a schlage deadbolt mechanism. Google the site and you'll find some threads. From memory, Brad did one which showed the Airstream modified pin which turns the lock. This seems to fail or cause failure over time, but is an easy fix. Don't drop the mechanism between the skins.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1974 24' Argosy 24
Los Angeles , California
Hi

I just had keys made for my 24 and 20 a guy (locksmith) in Phoenix did them he charged me 80 bucks for both locks. You could you take the lock apart and send the appropriate part in the mail?

Mark Kessman 602 242-6422
zkeyman@amarkslockandkey.com
heyraylata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Chino Valley , Arizona
Hi Brad, when I do searches on my 1991 Excella door handle lockset ~ your name seems to pop up. I hope that you may be kind enough to answer my question.

Symptom: Exterior key side, key would not engage deadbolt but thumb latch inside trailer would engage deadbolt

Action so far: Removed handle and lockset. A lot of rust on back of tumblers where a square shaft is attached. Due to rust it appears that the end of square shaft that is attached to back of tumblers has rusted away. I can literally spin it 360 degrees.

Question: Can I buy an entire replacement assembly or can I buy a new square shaft and replace mine that has rusted away.

Lastly: I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Aznomad450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznomad450 View Post
Hi Brad, when I do searches on my 1991 Excella door handle lockset ~ your name seems to pop up. I hope that you may be kind enough to answer my question.
I've had the unfortunate experience of having seen three different latch assemblies that Airstream used on the Argosies and Classics

Quote:
Symptom: Exterior key side, key would not engage deadbolt but thumb latch inside trailer would engage deadbolt

Action so far: Removed handle and lockset. A lot of rust on back of tumblers where a square shaft is attached. Due to rust it appears that the end of square shaft that is attached to back of tumblers has rusted away. I can literally spin it 360 degrees.

Question: Can I buy an entire replacement assembly or can I buy a new square shaft and replace mine that has rusted away.

Lastly: I would greatly appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Can you post pictures of your latch assembly? I'm not sure when Airstream changed from the Keeler latch to something new and different. Also are you referring to the latch assembly in the door or as found on the Classics the deadbolt located in the door jam?

Pictures would really help.

Brad
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I've had the unfortunate experience of having seen three different latch assemblies that Airstream used on the Argosies and Classics

Can you post pictures of your latch assembly? I'm not sure when Airstream changed from the Keeler latch to something new and different. Also are you referring to the latch assembly in the door or as found on the Classics the deadbolt located in the door jam?

Pictures would really help.

Brad
I am following along keenly! Some folks will remember back in Sept'ish 2016 I was using Bella as a mobile base whilst we completed the move back to UK. I got locked out with exactly the same symptoms and put it down to the inner latch lever being fouled by the sliding panel on the screen door. Well it was, but the fundamental problem was that the key throw from outside slides past the point where the bolt moves....the sliding panel fouling just added resistance to the bolt moving and amplified the issue. Since then I have avoided using the dead-bolt unless we are inside!
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Trying to repair or replace an older AS lock is difficult at best. If overnight security is prime concern just contact Vintage Trailer Supply in VT. They carry a deadbolt lock that mounts in frame of door. Has a key on exterior. Works well during travel keeping door from swinging open. The dead bolt is cut down to be 1/2" wide not the standard 1".
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Trying to repair or replace an older AS lock is difficult at best. If overnight security is prime concern just contact Vintage Trailer Supply in VT. They carry a deadbolt lock that mounts in frame of door. Has a key on exterior. Works well during travel keeping door from swinging open.
In my case it is the deadbolt, not the regular latch lock that has failed - it looks similar to the VTS unit (below) but the bolt retracts flush back into the lock, not the reinforcing circle of the modern unit and so is not a direct replacement.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Lichfield , Staffs
Quote:
Elisa, there are replacement options available. None of them are original fit and each would require some sort of modification to the door.

I know you can use a Bargman L300 as that is what's on one of the doors I have for my Argosy.

If you decide to go with a Bargman I could probably get you pictures of what needs to be done so you at least have a guide as to what to do.

Brad
Hey Brad looks like mines gone on my 34 limited is this what you used to replace it with??

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airstream-Parts/Doors-and-Locks/Handles-and-Hardware?product_id=1670

Also how easy is it from the inside to remove the lock and stuff? It looks like it's in a metal box behind the wall?!

Thanks

Tom
t0mmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Lichfield , Staffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
If you are referring to the deadbolt integrated into the silver door handle. I have replaced mine. I used a schlage deadbolt mechanism. Google the site and you'll find some threads. From memory, Brad did one which showed the Airstream modified pin which turns the lock. This seems to fail or cause failure over time, but is an easy fix. Don't drop the mechanism between the skins.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Mate I think my pin has broken the key turns the lock but not all the way and the latch on the inside doesn't move so I think it's the pin that has broken.....

I've seen this is this the kit you need??

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...roduct_id=1670

Also how easy is It to access and change?

Thanks

Tom
Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
In my case it is the deadbolt, not the regular latch lock that has failed - it looks similar to the VTS unit (below) but the bolt retracts flush back into the lock, not the reinforcing circle of the modern unit and so is not a direct replacement.

Martin, did AS NE install that deadbolt or was it in the door when you bought the Argosy?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmie View Post
Mate I think my pin has broken the key turns the lock but not all the way and the latch on the inside doesn't move so I think it's the pin that has broken.....

I've seen this is this the kit you need??

http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...roduct_id=1670

Also how easy is It to access and change?

Thanks

Tom
Tom, the only deadbolts I'm familiar with are the ones used in the Airstream Classic motorhomes. The kit in the link you attached doesn't look quite like the ones I'm familiar with. That's not to say it won't work but the long pin is visually different. The ones in the Classic's are about 3/16" square, about 1-1/2" long and the square part is welded to the flat pin as shown in the picture.

If your pin is just broken there's a good chance it can be repaired. The hardest part will probably be in gaining access to the be able to remove things. On the 310 and 345 motorhomes you have to remove the inside door trim and peel back the skin. On the 310 I actually had to cut a hole in the skin due to an interior wall.

Brad
Old 04-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Lichfield , Staffs
Thanks for replying mate and luckily my door trim is off and I can gain access to the rear so I don't need to cut a hole or well I hope I don't heve too ha ha

I'll see how I get on today!
Old 04-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #19
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Martin, did AS NE install that deadbolt or was it in the door when you bought the Argosy?
AS NE installed a new latch lock/repair panel to let a new latch lock be installed, but the Schlage deadbolt was already there.

The throw when using the tumble latch from inside works great, and the key turn is positive, so I am assuming it is just the tailpiece (at least I think that is the name for the bar that engages the actual bolt!) that is worn. If that is the case I just need a new rim cylinder. The issue is finding one that matches!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
AS NE installed a new latch lock/repair panel to let a new latch lock be installed, but the Schlage deadbolt was already there.

The throw when using the tumble latch from inside works great, and the key turn is positive, so I am assuming it is just the tailpiece (at least I think that is the name for the bar that engages the actual bolt!) that is worn. If that is the case I just need a new rim cylinder. The issue is finding one that matches!
I remember AS NE did the entry latch but I couldn't remember about the dead bolt.

Is there any writing or numbers on your existing dead bolt? My guess is if parts are available you won't find them in the UK. Send me what info you can and I'll see what I can find.