Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Chino Valley , Arizona
Exterior handle removed and lock taken to locksmith

I cut through the inside panel to access the four 7/16" nuts that attach the exterior handle to the exterior skin. When I removed the lockset it was evident that water had rusted the end of the tumbler where the square shank attaches. I took the parts to a locksmith and the owner said she had never seen a shaft of that type associated with a Schlage lockset.

The locksmith kept the parts and said they will do what they can to repair it. Unfortunately I did not take a picture before I took to locksmith so I won't be able to post any until I get it back.

The door handle must be removed in order to remove the lockset. Cutting through the inside wall to get to the 7/16" nuts is not for the faint of heart but is necessary if you intend to repair the lock. One way or another I will find a solution and keep those of you who are interested of the progress and results.
Aznomad450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Chino Valley , Arizona
The Rimset from Silver Trailer Supply looks like mine with the exception that mine has a square cross section of the rod versus a thinner rectangular one. I am thinking as a last resort I could buy it then TIG weld the square rod to the rectangular one.
Aznomad450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I have the same issue on my 1991 Classic. As per my other posts, I bought a replacement Schlage Rim Cylinder Horizontal 20-022 626 KD mw. It was a very close match - good enough in my view. The rim of the cylinder protrudes about 1mm from the deadlock handle. You wouldn’t notice it unless I pointed it out. I put a tiny bit of silicone inside to stop water ingress. Someone might be able to find a perfect match.
You have to cut a hole in the inner skin to remove the old assembly. Watch what you are doing and don’t cut too bigca Home inside because you need to retain enough of the skin to re-attach the two long bolts securely.
If we are talking about the same issue/fault. It is caused by the inner part of the original schlage assembly getting worn away by the end of the Airstream modified bolt. My original bolt could not be re-purposed. The shaft length was different. The solution is to weld the end of the original Airstream bolt to the new shaft ensuring it is correct length/fit.
I think my issue was identical to one of Brads and if you google his posts, you’ll see some pictures of the Airstream modified bolt.
Don’t drop the bits between the inner and outer skins.

Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:54 AM   #24
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
I have the same issue on my 1991 Classic. As per my other posts, I bought a replacement Schlage Rim Cylinder Horizontal 20-022 626 KD mw. It was a very close match - good enough in my view. The rim of the cylinder protrudes about 1mm from the deadlock handle. You wouldn’t notice it unless I pointed it out. I put a tiny bit of silicone inside to stop water ingress. Someone might be able to find a perfect match.
You have to cut a hole in the inner skin to remove the old assembly. Watch what you are doing and don’t cut too bigca Home inside because you need to retain enough of the skin to re-attach the two long bolts securely.
If we are talking about the same issue/fault. It is caused by the inner part of the original schlage assembly getting worn away by the end of the Airstream modified bolt. My original bolt could not be re-purposed. The shaft length was different. The solution is to weld the end of the original Airstream bolt to the new shaft ensuring it is correct length/fit.
I think my issue was identical to one of Brads and if you google his posts, you’ll see some pictures of the Airstream modified bolt.
Don’t drop the bits between the inner and outer skins.

Nick
Now you have me thinking Nick (never a good thing!). I really hadn't done anything about the deadbolt situation because I thought it was a straightforward job to remove the cylinder rim and the issue was finding the replacement. Typically a deadbolt is inserted from the outside edge and retained by 2 screws, with the cylinder rim and thumb latch secured by the two screws that sandwich the whole assembly in place. What parts are only accessible between the inner and outer skins?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical deadbolt.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	308160
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznomad450 View Post
The Rimset from Silver Trailer Supply looks like mine with the exception that mine has a square cross section of the rod versus a thinner rectangular one. I am thinking as a last resort I could buy it then TIG weld the square rod to the rectangular one.
I believe that is what Airstream did, tig welded the square section onto a standard tail section. My guess is they mixed and matched parts to fit what they were trying to build.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Now you have me thinking Nick (never a good thing!). I really hadn't done anything about the deadbolt situation because I thought it was a straightforward job to remove the cylinder rim and the issue was finding the replacement. Typically a deadbolt is inserted from the outside edge and retained by 2 screws, with the cylinder rim and thumb latch secured by the two screws that sandwich the whole assembly in place. What parts are only accessible between the inner and outer skins?

Attachment 308160
Martin, if you read through this thread Classic deadbolt & actuator access pictures that I started back in 2012 you'll see what the Classic owners are dealing with.

There is a big difference in how your deadbolt is installed compared to the Classics. Airstream certainly made it a complex setup.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Martin, if you read through this thread Classic deadbolt & actuator access pictures that I started back in 2012 you'll see what the Classic owners are dealing with.

There is a big difference in how your deadbolt is installed compared to the Classics. Airstream certainly made it a complex setup.

Brad

Martin - my coach has a dash button to open and close the deadbolt. The gubbins which makes that all work is in between the skins. You need to disconnect it to connect up the new mechanism.

N
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #28
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

Brad
Like most things Airstream do, the first question is....what on Earth was they thinking? If there was an exact opposite of the KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) principal, they continually operate it.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #29
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
I remember AS NE did the entry latch but I couldn't remember about the dead bolt.

Is there any writing or numbers on your existing dead bolt? My guess is if parts are available you won't find them in the UK. Send me what info you can and I'll see what I can find.
I finally got around to following up with this Brad.

It appears I have a fairly standard domestic Schlage deadlock, but the bolt is notched to allow a smaller width hole in the plate.

Name:	2018-05-07 17.02.50.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	310398

Name:	2018-05-07 17.03.04.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	310399

Name:	2018-05-07 17.05.07.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	310401

I can also confirm if I put my thumb on the bolt and try and engage from the inner lever I can't stop the bolt being pushed out. Yet if I do the same with the key the bolt tries to move but then it is possible to totally rotate the key without the bolt pushing my thumb out. I think this means it can't be the cam bar being worn (because that moves the bolt whether using the key or the lever). Hope it is just the cylinder rim needs replacing.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I finally got around to following up with this Brad.

It appears I have a fairly standard domestic Schlage deadlock, but the bolt is notched to allow a smaller width hole in the plate.
Attachment 310398

Attachment 310399

Attachment 310401

I can also confirm if I put my thumb on the bolt and try and engage from the inner lever I can't stop the bolt being pushed out. Yet if I do the same with the key the bolt tries to move but then it is possible to totally rotate the key without the bolt pushing my thumb out. I think this means it can't be the cam bar being worn (because that moves the bolt whether using the key or the lever). Hope it is just the cylinder rim needs replacing.
Did you want me to try and find a replacement deadbolt assembly?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #31
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Did you want me to try and find a replacement deadbolt assembly?
Can I hold fire Brad?

I want to remove the current one and have it checked by a local locksmith first
Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Can I hold fire Brad?

I want to remove the current one and have it checked by a local locksmith first
Let me know if there's something you need this side of the pond.