Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
1974 20' Argosy 20
Fishers , Indiana
Door and Suspension - Argosy 20' MH

Hi everyone,

I just acquired an Argosy 20' from California and brought it back to the midwest (Indiana).

The motorhome is in good shape for its age, but there is a lot I want to do to it.

First two items on my list are to fix the door and upgrade the suspension.

The door rattles like crazy when I'm driving. The screen interior door is not installed anymore (although I have it). Also, the exterior door has huge gaps around it and the only thing that holds the door closed is the lock (which is a whole different story).

The motorhome tracks real well, and there is a nice airbag in spring suspension up front. However, when going down the highway with any bumps at all, it runs rough. I just replaced all the tires with Firestones and they run well up to about 60 mph. Anything over 60 mph means a lot of shaking. I really don't think it is the tires/balance issue.

Now on to my question, I am in Indiana and would like to take the Argosy to a place in the midwest that could look at these issues and others that I have. Does anyone have any recommendations. I would be willing to go within a few hundred miles of Indianapolis if I felt there was a real great service to access.

Grahamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ive been using Midwest Diesel in champaign il. the top dog there is jason and they have done some good work for me. Theyre not afraid of the whole AS thing and realize its just a p30 chassis. I always buy my parts and bring with. Im about to make an appt for master cylinder replacement. They are right off of I74 on prospect so they are only about 90 miles from you.

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Let me know if you make it over to champaign, if you would like we could get together and have a look at our rigs, i have an 83, 310TD. Im only about a mile from Midwest Diesel.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Steve, glad you made it home ok.

When you get a chance post some pictures of the entry door. There is a conversion that can be made using a Bargman L300 lock to replace the original lock. Takes a little sheet metal work but is functional.

The L300 locks are getting pricey but as far as I know it's the only "tested" conversion.

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs

Welcome to the forums! It is great to have another Argosy 20 owner on-board!

mayco is right. Your Argosy 20 is on a Chevy P-30 chassis which many truck shops are very familiar with. Mentioning "Argosy" or "Airstream" usually just scares them!
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
Fred's Airstream Archives @
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote