Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Dog House 1978, 28’ Argosy Motorhome

Hello! Wondering if anyone has any advice on a dog house design and what to insulate it with to protect from the heat of the engine and from the cold when camping in the snowy winter months.

Currently has a HUGE box that doesn’t seal, therefore, let’s cold air, exhaust fumes, engine noise, you name it rush right in.

Looking for something low profile, insulating, and would like to be able to clamp it down for an extra tight seal.

Recommended materials, type of wood, kind of insulation to use would be awesome.

Also, if anyone happens to have the size specifications available I would love to get my hands on those, as it stands I am starting from scratch.

As always, many thanks to all for the advice and guidance.
blogworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I cant offer much, but any insulation I used in the engine compartment would be mostly fiberglass or maybe mineral wool because it wont burn.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogworthy View Post
Hello! Wondering if anyone has any advice on a dog house design and what to insulate it with to protect from the heat of the engine and from the cold when camping in the snowy winter months.

Currently has a HUGE box that doesn’t seal, therefore, let’s cold air, exhaust fumes, engine noise, you name it rush right in.

Looking for something low profile, insulating, and would like to be able to clamp it down for an extra tight seal.

Recommended materials, type of wood, kind of insulation to use would be awesome.

Also, if anyone happens to have the size specifications available I would love to get my hands on those, as it stands I am starting from scratch.

As always, many thanks to all for the advice and guidance.
Lots of information on Brad's thread, the Peanut thread and also the thread on Bella's rebuild

You should have a seal around the edge of the dog house and there are a range of Dynamat type products (search sound deadening mat on Amazon) designed for under hood insulation that work well.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I used the DEI underhood insulation. It is about 1/2" thick, foilfaced with a self adhesive back. Easy to install and works great!
I have read lots of comments about other Classic MH owners who complain about engine noise while driving. I set the cruise control at 62 mph (3100 rpm) and I can barely tell the engine is running.

As far as gaskets for the dog house go, I put a piece of carpet pad in the channel as a temporary fix until I could source a proper gasket but, it's so quiet that I have no intention of doing anything else.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Gregsch,
DEI makes several products, which did you use? We're trying to cut down on the noise in our 1978 24' Argosy and since you like the results of what you used, we'd like to give it a try. Thanks
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote