Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Cover

Looking for a cover to put over my Argosy 28' (1978) - any suggestions for types, manufacturers, and retailers? What should I be looking for and what must I have?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Try this site:
RV Covers | Travel Trailer Covers | 800-616-0599 Discount Covers
I've been looking at getting a cover from my Safari. Has anyone tried a cover? Does it work or does it cause more damage than it stops? Please let us know.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
There is a forum titled "Winterizing, storage, carports, and covers" where, if you searched within it, you may find lots of info and opinions already expressed on this subject. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
We live in Sand City in the Monterey Bay area and the city lives up to it's name. We had some powerful wind and sea and sand storms this spring and sand was everywhere. I don't have very good window seals (yet) and I'm trying to minimize its impact. Also it seems that sunlight deteriorates everything so a good cover could slow the process down. Finally, whatever season it is it is always a good salty morning dew from the ocean which is just 500 yards away. Hence my question concerning a cover.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
We live in Sand City in the Monterey Bay area and the city lives up to it's name. We had some powerful wind and sea and sand storms this spring and sand was everywhere. I don't have very good window seals (yet) and I'm trying to minimize its impact. Also it seems that sunlight deteriorates everything so a good cover could slow the process down. Finally, whatever season it is it is always a good salty morning dew from the ocean which is just 500 yards away. Hence my question concerning a cover.
Covers for an Airstream or Argosy trailers or motorhomes, are not recommended.

As you said, your near high humidity.

That cover will trap the humidity, which could lead to mold.

Also the wind will move the cover, which will scratch the paint on your Argosy.

You would create more headaches than you would solve, with a cover.

Andy
Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Interesting. My Argosy actually doesn't have any paint - except maybe the end caps which is silver. How about covers over the tires to prevent or slowdown rot by UV?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Interesting. My Argosy actually doesn't have any paint - except maybe the end caps which is silver. How about covers over the tires to prevent or slowdown rot by UV?
Tires and window covers are a good thing. I have some interesting window covers on my 81 that sort of slip over the window when you open it and there are a couple of snaps to hold it on, turns the open window into a mini awning. I also put reflectix silver bubble stuff in between the windows and screens when I park the trailer for any length of time.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
As Wahoonc said, tite and window covers are great.

The only safe cover for the coach, is one that you drive under, or indoors.

Andy
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Finally, whatever season it is it is always a good salty morning dew from the ocean which is just 500 yards away. Hence my question concerning a cover.
I might be wrong but the way I understand the physics of evaporation and condensation "salty dew" can not exist...

On a more important note it is really good to hear the info about covers! I've been contemplating for years now weather or not I should cover our (painted) 1974 32' Argosy. Now I know - I shouldn't. Had I gone through with it I would have used (used) billboard material. I got a couple of these from a local sign place, they gave them to me for free but they said they normally sell them for $15 a piece! They are 14' x 40' thick rubberized canvas (80 pounds a piece!). When you cut them there is some sort of fiber (glass?) in them which I assume adds to their strength. I've seen people around here (Reno Nevada) use them to cover hay and equipment. I used them to help seal an underground room I built... but that is a different story.

I just thought I'd throw that out there as a huge, cheap, heavy duty tarp option if the need ever arises.
-Logan
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
From the time we purchased and brought our trailer home, I have worried over some kind of protection or cover. Mostly I have had concerns about the front wrap windows getting broken on our Argosy. I, personally, don't like the Rock Guards because they darken the interior and also make it impossible to see thru the trailer when towing, unless the middle is not used or is a different color (making it look weird IMO). So, we have found a gentleman here who is going to make some covers for those wrap windows. I am adding a post here that will explain. I think my covers will work wonderfully for what I need and we can keep them on (removing the foam) when we camp as the material is see-thru. I have checked w/several sources and they say this vinyl coated polyester is the longest wearing made.

Here you go, for your research.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f469...ors-46690.html

PS With our Argosy, we have found, even w/high winds/sand/dirt/small gravel that the paint holds up pretty darn well. My worry is hail, and the only solution to that would be a garage or sturdy hard surface cover. I wish....

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Tire covers can't hurt, except perhaps in creating a false sense of security. From what I understand a tire that still looks good can have structural deterioration which is inevitable and invisible. Even tires with little road miles that look good should be changed out regularly, somewhere around every 5 years.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
waldron , Indiana
i bought mine on e-bay i got 28ft argosy.. better deal .thanks