Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
I've got oak parquet flooring in mine, including the bathroom. I love the looks of it however it does need to be resurfaced because it's showing its age. The only bit of carpet I have is up near the driver seat and under the couch/dinnette. If I had to do it all over again I would do the hardwood but put the electric radiant heat under it for the cooler months.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Airstream Forums mobile app

mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
i picked up the carpet,to find a rotten wood floor here and there,picked that up too and replaced it with good plywood which i painted and then polyurethaned it (several coats)it looks great,cleans easely,have area rugs ,your can sweep sand and mud ,no problem...its a great, inexpensive solution.

la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Another vote for carpet with vinyl at the door and in the bathroom. A caveat to think about is to run the carpet up under everything but leave it a foot or so away from the walls. That way it's an easy check for leaks and keep an eye on the floor. Works for us.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Vinyl planks that resemble hard wood and area rugs here and there-
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
The wood was in great shape when we replaced the carpet. It doesn't take any longer to vacuum than to sweep. I have excessive sweating of my hands and feet and nothing feels worse to me than a gritty floor to walk on.
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
It really depends upon what kind of camping you do. Ours tends to be more of the backwoods, wet-feet, bugs & dirt variety. Our unit came with vinyl flooring, which we top with small non-skid area- rugs that are easy to shake out and clean. As much as I like hardwood, I think it would be impractical to change over to it.

Pavement-campers may feel differently.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
So Aldo which way are you leaning? We have boon following the thread to see the input you were getting and the consensus.

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Our 42 yo International had carpet in it twice as we replaced it back in 1999. In 2009, when we were reworking the inside once again, we went with Pergo's floating floor system and love it. To me the labor meaning time, is more the cost than materials if you shop around. I almost held off on the Pergo to go with teak and holly but at the time did not want to commit to the investment. I wish I had done it now and maybe down the road if I find the right amount of T&H for the right price it may be another upgrade.
Love the pergo, easy to keep clean and adapts to the various climates. The real hot temps at the NC beaches and cold temps in the NC mountains. We do use runners up front to keep with the nautical theme of the Land Yacht, but the remainder of the coach is all pergo.
I've attached two pictures so you can see how it does make a vintage Airstream IMHO look pretty decent.

Good luck with your decision.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front U.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	583.9 KB
ID:	204309   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0449.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	204310  

SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I like your under-chair storage solutions!

I also lean towards carpet in the cockpit area and bedroom dressing area. Nice and comfy on the bare or sock feet. We use a powered broom (Shark) and a BD hand vacuum while away from home which works well on the carpets.

The throw mats are a bit of a liability for a motorhome where someone may be moving about while underway. I have a good removable mat at the step entrance to allow one to get in out of the weather before removing shoes.

Originally Posted by Schools Out View Post
I might be the only vote here for carpeting….
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
I think I'm going to put the flooring off 'till next year. This all began, when I started into rebuilding the on-board water system and pulled up all of the carpet to expose the copper lines.

While there, I could easily replace the flooring treatment....If I knew what I wanted to do. So far, this has been a really revealing discussion of the options. I am working with a 20' Argosy M.H. with the water box under the dinette. So, for those familiar with the layout, you know that I'm not talking about much flooring material anyway. It's just a small strip. With a small unit like this, money isn't the issue.

From what I read here, more than any particular treatment, it is really important that the flooring be a combination of taste, comfort and an appropriate fit with the use of the rig.
I really like the look of wood floors. The floating Pergo seems like it would avoid the chill factor of the various wood treatments, while giving that wood look and feel that I like. The one thing that I need to check out, is how the Pergo will stand up to our active lifestyle camping. We camp at the beach in the summer, tracking in lots of sand that might work like sandpaper on Pergo. We travel to remote campsites and ride our mountain bikes through Utah. I am not opposed to throwing down some Persian rugs while camping to protect the finish...if that would work. They can be rolled up and stored in the shower, when we aren't camping. They also shake out easily for cleaning.

I think I'm gonna have to go to Cassini Ranch and a few other events to see how the different treatments work. Right looks like I may put in some floating Pergo in the passage area and leave carpet in the dinette box and cabin area. But, that will be next year. I just put the interior back together, after rebuilding the cabin water system.

When I bought the rig from Michigan, it had been sitting for several years. As everyone knows, that is the worst thing you can do to a motorhome...just let it sit. This winter's projects were:

New Shocks, new mufflers, drain bead and seal the gas tank, rebuild the dash air, remove and rebuild the dash heater core, remove and rebuild the power steering entire system, new fuel pump, carburetor rebuild, replace all rubber vacuum lines, new plugs, wires and timing, new on-board generator, new hot water heater, new roof ac with heat pump and replace the on-board water lines and drain from the on-board water tank to the water pump.

Next year will be a breeze. All I have to do is pull out the sink/stove-oven/heater cabinet...and rebuild or replace any problems in that area...while I replace the flooring. That's gonna be easy. In the meantime, I have a really cool and reliable rig that turns heads wherever we go. See you all at the roundup.

Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas

I'm very late to this thread, sorry. Just wanted to suggest in a different solution. About ten years ago I put cork flooring in the front half of my 28' trailer. Liked it so much I later did the bedroom area also. I'm now refurbishing a 27' M/H and plan to use cork in the center area with thin carpet in the cab (drivers area) and vinyl tiles in the bath. Cork is an environmentally friendly product, they do not kill the oak trees to harvest the cork and it is biodegradable. It is warmer and softer to the foot then vinyl. It is easier to cut and fit individual tiles then sheet goods. It is also a good insulator and helps keep the RV warm. I like a mat at the door to wipe feet on or leave wet shoes. About once every four years a light sanding with another coat of water based polyurethane keeps the cork looking good and only takes about an hour.
Tony T
2000 28' Classic TT
1994 30' Land Yacht M/H
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Tony your cork are 'squares' right? We love the look of cork but have been told it's not very durable it trailers. What type did you use? Is it glued down or floating? Please tell me more about sealing it. That is really our biggest concern, edges of the 'tiles' lifting because of moisture penetration. Thanks for any advice,
Barry & Karen
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Originally Posted by tony6373 View Post
Cork is an environmentally friendly product, they do not kill the oak trees to harvest the cork and it is biodegradable..
Cork is a good option in an RV for the reasons you give. We put in down in a lot in kitchens for those same reasons. It does not however have the look and feel of hardwood like oak, for those who like that.

Harvesting of oak is really no more of an environmental impact than harvesting of cork or bamboo. Most oak flooring, as well as pine flooring is now harvested from sustainable tree farms. A few mills may buy hardwood trees harvested from land clearing but that is not always practical and so it ends up as firewood.

I buy a lot of building materials and most "green" claims in the industry boil down to marketing, by what I call the "environmental millionaires". Never are the glues, binders, waste water, fossil fuels used in (re)processing, or oil used in shipping from the far east included in their claims.

It is hard to beat good ole American oak and pine from our sustainable farms.
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Cork all the way. I had a hardwood flooring business a while back and saw a lot of gross flooring (carpet, lino etc); and that's in a house not a trailer that endures different kinds of abuse with regard to moisture and temp swings. I used cork on my Overlander for the reasons already mentioned and it's living up to my expectations all around; plus it's self healing (think pins in a noticeboard) and it deals with dropped knives just great.

1960 Sovereign 33' Pacific Railroad Custom
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote