Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
Smile Carly's Argosy Remodel

Now that October is mostly out of the way, my husband and I are able to dive into the remodel of our Argosy. We are planning to move into it in mid-January, so we've got our work cut out for us. Other complicating factors are: my husband will be having back surgery in mid-November.

We worked on cleaning it out some this past weekend, and I've got a couple photos to share, if I can figure out how to get the files to upload successfully. We still need to pull out the sofa/bed that's just behind the driver's seat as well as remove the kitchen. My husband will be fabricating a new pull out sofa/bed and we will be re-doing the entire kitchen but reusing all the original appliances.
Seridia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Carly, you've certainly set an ambitious goal considering your husband's upcoming surgery!

When posting a message look for the paperclip symbol at the top of the editing window. Once you click on the paperclip a window should pop up with a "Choose File" button. Click on the button and follow the directions from there.

Looking forward to pictures

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
Brad,

It's definitely an ambitious goal. We're not likely to get much more than the bed and the work station completed before we move into it, but that's okay.

The issue I'm having when trying to upload photos is that it always says they fail to upload. I've tried via the website and even installed the mobile app on my phone to try to upload directly from there. Still no success.

-Carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Carly, you've certainly set an ambitious goal considering your husband's upcoming surgery!

When posting a message look for the paperclip symbol at the top of the editing window. Once you click on the paperclip a window should pop up with a "Choose File" button. Click on the button and follow the directions from there.

Looking forward to pictures

Brad
Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
I can't get pictures to upload, but I can provide a link to them, so here we go:

This picture shows part of the kitchen and where the second sofa/bed used to be. This will be the workstation area.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

This shows part of the driver area and where the first sofa/bed used to be. My husband will be re-building the bed to take a full size futon with drawers for storage underneath.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Today my husband plans to replace the rotted floorboards you can see in the second picture. I realized after starting to pull things out that the prior owners had painted part of the shell. I plan to re-paint everything to give it a fresh, clean feeling surface.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Have you checked the picture size that you're trying to upload.

There are limits to picture sizes that you might be running up against. I think supporting members can upload larger pictures. As a test try reducing the image resolution from whatever your file is to something like 1600x1200 or smaller and try again.

I always use 1600 x 1200.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
Brad,

They are definitely within size requirements. Fortunately I can post links to the pictures.

This first image shows what was the second sofa/bed and which will become a workstation. On the left I'm going to have my desk setup and the area below the desk will hopefully be able to hold the two bar stools I have.
Photo 1

The second image shows the first sofa/bed which will be re-built to hold a full size futon and have drawers underneath for storage.
Photo 2

Today my husband will be replacing the rotted floorboards there just behind the driver's seat.

During demolition I also discovered that the prior owner had repainted quite a bit of the inner shell. My goal today is to prep the areas to get a fresh coat of primer and maybe the primer itself. I think it'll help give everything a fresh and cleaner look/feel. Most of the surfaces are unnervingly sticky right now, even after using Clorox wipes.

-Carly
Old 10-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
Brad,

Sadly my photo size was already smaller than that. And I wasn't reaching the file size limit, either. I've got a post with some links to my photos awaiting moderator approval.

-Carly

Quote:
Have you checked the picture size that you're trying to upload.

There are limits to picture sizes that you might be running up against. I think supporting members can upload larger pictures. As a test try reducing the image resolution from whatever your file is to something like 1600x1200 or smaller and try again.

I always use 1600 x 1200.

Brad
Old 10-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I'll see if I can upload a picture as I haven't tried in a few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-ceeby-approves-of-new-seat.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	251182

Must be a problem with either your login or computer system you're using. Hopefully a moderator will look into shortly.

Brad
Old 10-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Please try again with the images - we've been having some server issues and believe they are fixed now.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
So now my photos appear to be loading correctly. Hooray! I feel a little silly that the two posts I made earlier with the photos as links are now both showing in the thread. I think I didn't realize what had happened the first time and thought the post just didn't go through.

Here are the photos, just so they're available in thread.

Name:	CarlyArgosy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	251249

Name:	CarlyArgosy2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	251250

We did some more work on the interior tonight. My husband patched the rotted part of the floor and I cleaned (and cleaned and cleaned) the wall just behind the driver seat, ran some mineral spirits over it, and then put on a coat of primer. We'll see how well it holds up. I've heard there can be some difficulty in painting the interiors.

Here's how it looks when we finished working this evening. I plan to do another coat of primer before painting color. I do plan to leave the faux wood paneling the way it is, but I'm going to take out the partition that's right next to the kitchen counter.

Name:	CarlyArgosyPrimer.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	251251

-Carly
Old 10-29-2015, 04:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Your Argosy appears to be in reasonably good condition. If that's the only floor damage then you got real lucky!

There area lot of threads dealing with painting the interior walls although I haven't paid to much attention to them as I don't plan on painting the interior walls. You might browse through this forum for ideas as to how to deal with wall painting.

Brad
Old 10-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
I think we got super lucky on this Argosy. The vacuum hoses in the engine need to be re-done, but otherwise it runs pretty well. The onboard generator had also been recently worked on. We haven't tried really using the water system yet, but my husband advises that he tested it and it seemed fine.

A lot of the interior was original when we got it. He pulled up the shag carpet off the floor before he surprised me with the vehicle at a campout in late May (what a surprise!).

Eventually we are considering doing some remodel work in the bathroom. Specifically, he is wanting to make the shower bigger. He's over 6' tall, so that shower is pretty teeny for him.

Thanks for the link to the threads on paint. I'll definitely give them a look.

Quote:
Your Argosy appears to be in reasonably good condition. If that's the only floor damage then you got real lucky!

There area lot of threads dealing with painting the interior walls although I haven't paid to much attention to them as I don't plan on painting the interior walls. You might browse through this forum for ideas as to how to deal with wall painting.

Brad
Old 10-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I've found the real problem with the showers is the curvature of the outside wall. That really limits headroom.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with as a shower mod.

Brad
Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
His plan is to potentially take out the closet that's next to the shower and just make the space wider. This will also give the shower access to more headroom as it'll put it into the body of the RV a little more. Time will tell if we decide we can get rid of that closet space, though.

-Carly

Quote:
I've found the real problem with the showers is the curvature of the outside wall. That really limits headroom.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with as a shower mod.

Brad
Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seridia View Post
His plan is to potentially take out the closet that's next to the shower and just make the space wider. This will also give the shower access to more headroom as it'll put it into the body of the RV a little more. Time will tell if we decide we can get rid of that closet space, though.

-Carly
Hmm, I think I sense a difference of opinion...