Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Bleeding the LPS Tank

I'm in the process of gutting my Argosy 28' MH and I need to take the fridge and stove out. But they're both connected to gas. I want to bleed out the LPS tank anyway - has some leaks - I can smell it inside. But how to do it? Any suggestions? I can turn the tank off, but I want to bleed out all the gas to eventually work on that tank repair.

don
Don Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I don't think it would be your tank leaking they don't usually leak .the valves ,lines , fittings, or regulators do.You can smell propane if your tank is low. You would be better off to take it to a propane business and have them look at it. Until then just turn your tank off and remove your appliances.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I'm in the process of gutting my Argosy 28' MH and I need to take the fridge and stove out. But they're both connected to gas. I want to bleed out the LPS tank anyway - has some leaks - I can smell it inside. But how to do it? Any suggestions? I can turn the tank off, but I want to bleed out all the gas to eventually work on that tank repair.

don
You should not attempt "ANY' repair to a LPG tank, "EVER".

Tank gauges and fittings, are OK to repair/replace.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Not repairing the LPS tank. Too much at stake to do it myself. I'd always want a professional to do any work on the LPS along with checking the connections to the fridge, heater, and oven. I just wanted to remove the appliances without worrying about blowing up. Turning off the LPS tank is an easy thing to do.

don
Don Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
With the tank shut off, you should still test for leaks along the piping, you can plug the pipe where the appliance is disconnected and pressure test the lines, simple soap solution will do it.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The main shutoff on my tank doesn't shut off all the way as I discovered when I replaced my cook top. I'd suggest that you verify that there is no flow of gas from the supply lines as you disconnect the appliances. I bought a plug to go into the cook top supply line.

You can bleed off the gas in the tank by connecting an a lp powered appliance (gas grill, heater, etc.) and leaving it fired up until it goes out. That's how they do it at the RV place I take my rig to.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote