Old 10-28-2015, 05:42 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben,

I like the way that duct was installed however I don't think that it was installed at the factory. At least I've never seen one like that nor has anyone else mentioned it.

I believe you will need a 4" diameter hose to fit over the snorkel on the OEM air cleaner. The Spectre air intake ram air plenum I bought from Summit for my carburetor also has a 4" opening. I think you'll find that the engine will be starving for air with just a 3" hose feeding it.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
I'd better take some measurements then. Thanks Brad.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Perfor...+air+duct+hose

Spectre sells a 4". Just needs a little modification to fit the oval end of the air cleaner.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #115
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I believe that's the hose I had earmarked for my installation. It will be interesting to see how much the end of that hose can be shaped and how much you will need to modify the end of the snout on the filter housing.

Looking forward to pictures!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
2-3 yrs back, my power steering pump started leaking at the shaft seal. I replaced the pump and the hoses. The return side is low pressure and is replaced with bulk hydraulic hose and clamps. The high pressure side is specific to the application, but was no problem to get. I get all my parts from an independent parts house that gets me quality parts (no Autozone nor Napa for me). I also inserted a filter in the return side line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6485.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	251197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6484.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	251198  

Name:	IMG_6489.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	584.6 KB
ID:	251199  

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Don't you just hate when......

a piece of your motorhome flies off when you're driving?

So.. I had a man vacation last week to escape the insanity of two kids under 4. Wife gave me a free 24 hour pass and I drove down to our local state park for some R&R. Upon arrival I discovered that the generator door inconveniently came unlatched and flew off on the highway somewhere along my 1 hour drive. 2 seperate trips to and from the campground did not turn up my missing cover. I can only assume its a pancake somewhere along Hwy 290, or someone pulled it off the road and its now sitting in their aluminum scrap bin.
So, if anyone knows a source to pick up another panel for a somewhat reasonable cost, PLEASE get in touch with me.
I guess, on a positive (?) note, the old panel had some cracking along the edges and wasn't in pristine condition in the first place. But I'm still fightin mad at the loss of this cover.

Rant over.

Ben
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	generator_panel.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	252709  
Old 11-23-2015, 05:08 AM   #118
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Ben, sorry to hear that, but it's not your fault. I know for a fact that it is hwy 290 and the latch mechanism that caused you to loose that door, because the very same thing happened to me.
I was all the way in Blanco, when I realized that I lost mine. I drove all the way back home and on the way back to Blanco, I saw it on the side of the road. There was a major bump in the road that caused it to fall off, because I failed to check the single latch that turns to the left to close instead of to the right. After straightening it out I installed these 2 Zip Dee awning latches to keep it on there.
Sorry no help with a replacement, but you can look all the way to the 79 Motorhomes for the replacement or make one yourself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doorhook.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	252712  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ouch

That cover is going to be hard to find. You might contact Martin to see if his donor has a cover and whether it's the correct one.

I have this cover that I removed from the 1986 345 but it's not a direct fit for you. At a minimum you would need the two flared panels at the bottom and unfortunately I don't think I have them anymore.

Name:	86-345-genset-cover.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	252713

You might also check with Shepherd57. He dismantled a late model Argosy a few years ago.

Brad
Old 11-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #120
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Thanks guys. I'll do some messaging when I have some time. I agree that this might be a tough part to find, especially for somewhat reasonable cost. If the right motorhome came up for a fair price (such as Martins, but local for a few grand or less) I'd probably just buy the whole thing as I can use some bumpers and misc parts. In the long run that would be so much cheaper than sourcing any parts individually. But, for a while I'll hold out some hope for just the replacement cover. So frustrating! Peter, at least I know I'm not the only one! I'll be adding a secondary latch the next go-around.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #121
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I will check my donor Ben, and you can have the door if it matches. My donor is the same year as yours so it also has the same bumpers etc.

Its a shame these beasts cost so much to ship, because I would happily 'donate my donor' to someone which a later model unit, but equally I would love the 1975 that is being parted out in Dickinson (Galveston) as it is just the longer version of our 20ft and I could use just about all of it as spares.....it even has the elusive lower front valance in a repairable state.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #122
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Martin, that would be greatly appreciated sir. I'll do my very best to make it worth your while if the door is available.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
New topic of the day.
I'm working on my steering column again before Blanco in hopes of getting it fixed. Needed a steering wheel puller last night so I moved on to another project. The dash heat and defrost, which don't work. I'm just thinking this through right now, so please feel free to chime in and tell me how this set-up works.
My assumption is: I have 2 seperate systems, correct? One system, centrally located above the doghouse, is JUST for the A/C system. This assembly, with its own blower motor ONLY runs the AC. The other system, controlled from the drivers seat, with levers, controls the other blower motor located behind the heater core. (located on the floor in front of the passenger seat.) Am I correct in these assumptions?
The controls on the dash do not have an 'off' switch for the blower motor. Only low-med-high. So, when the key is on, this motor should be running all the time. correct? Mine is not. I found this thread, for a '90 AS moho that looks pretty similar. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...c-17683-2.html
I'm guessing I'll be checking fuses both at the panel as well as in-line if applicable. Also expecting to be removing the heater core to access the blower motor.
I know this got long-winded, but does this train of thought sound correct? I'd like to have some defrost in the old beast at some point.. as well as a working heater for those cold Texas drives.

Thanks for any feedback gang.
Ben
Old 12-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Your description is pretty much right on. Mine is an 82 Classic so there may be some differences. I DO have an off position on my heater blower switch for example. The heater blower is accessed from the front of the rig under the hood on the firewall, left hand side as you face the vehicle. There is a two wire connector at the blower motor where you can put your multimeter on to test for voltage. The heat settings are push/pull cables. One controls the inline valve next to your heater core, letting the warm coolant pass through your heater core.....or not. The other cable controls vent duct flaps for floor and defrost vents.

Mike
Old 12-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
New topic of the day.
I'm working on my steering column again before Blanco in hopes of getting it fixed. Needed a steering wheel puller last night so I moved on to another project. The dash heat and defrost, which don't work. I'm just thinking this through right now, so please feel free to chime in and tell me how this set-up works.
My assumption is: I have 2 seperate systems, correct? One system, centrally located above the doghouse, is JUST for the A/C system. This assembly, with its own blower motor ONLY runs the AC. The other system, controlled from the drivers seat, with levers, controls the other blower motor located behind the heater core. (located on the floor in front of the passenger seat.) Am I correct in these assumptions?
The controls on the dash do not have an 'off' switch for the blower motor. Only low-med-high. So, when the key is on, this motor should be running all the time. correct? Mine is not. I found this thread, for a '90 AS moho that looks pretty similar. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...c-17683-2.html
I'm guessing I'll be checking fuses both at the panel as well as in-line if applicable. Also expecting to be removing the heater core to access the blower motor.
I know this got long-winded, but does this train of thought sound correct? I'd like to have some defrost in the old beast at some point.. as well as a working heater for those cold Texas drives.

Thanks for any feedback gang.
Ben
Ben, I know Airstream used at least three or four different versions on the dash AC system possibly more. My 74 Argosy is very similar to the 84 310 and 86 345 that I had. There were various difference but not enough to change the basic method of how they were controlled.

I can describe how a 74 Argosy is set up which was very similar to the 84 310. Neither were controlled as you describe. If you could provide pictures of your dash controls and your heater/evaporator box that would help.

On my 74 Argosy there is only one combined system. The heater core and evaporator core are in the same box which is attached to the firewall on the front side of the firewall. There are two blower motors on top of the box with a duct or plenum that runs across the front top area of the firewall. The plenum has a series of holes in it with hoses that go to the various areas of the dash including the defroster ducts.

The controls are from a 73 Mustang and control both heat and AC just like in any car. There is a valve in the heater hose from the engine to the heater core that works from a slide on the dash control. The fan switch on the control assembly controls both blower motors.

Dash controls.

Name:	74-argosy-dash-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	253249

Evaporator box.

Name:	74-argosy-evaporator-box.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	253250

Evaporator box with plenum.

Name:	74-argosy-evaporator-box-plenum.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	253251

Does your dash look like this one?

Name:	argosy-dash.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	253252

If so I think the only real difference is the slider control on the left controls the heater valve that controls coolant flow to the heater core. This control assembly controls where the air is directed. I am assuming it also controls the fans in the heater/evaporator box on the firewall.

The other control in the lower center controls the operation of the compressor clutch. It probably has a sensing tube that goes to the evaporator core and senses when the temperature is cold enough to turn off the compressor clutch. There is probably a switch on this control that turns the AC on and off or more precisely controls the operation of the compressor clutch. With the switch off the clutch can't engage, with the switch on the clutch will engage if the temperature control knob is set to a cold enough temperature.

In theory with this arrangement you could have the AC running (clutch engaged) and your heater control set to provide full heat. This combination actually gives you something the early Classic's and my Argosy don't have, heated and dried air to the defroster ducts. Modern vehicles turn the AC on when the defroster is selected which helps defog the windshield.

On yours I'm not sure if the fan should be running all the time or not. That would depend on which vehicle Airstream pulled your heater control assembly. As I mentioned earlier my Argosy is from a 73 Mustang. The 84 310 control assembly was from a early to mid 80s Dodge van.

Brad
Old 12-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
I'll have to get some pics tonight. This is really preliminary as I'm just trying to figure out how both systems work. Weird set-up. My dash looks similar to your last pic Brad. (PO pics, not my dog!). Above the radio, the cable controls are double sliders and to the left a vertical fan speed selector. ranging from low to high. no 'off'.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	253253