Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #99
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
I haven't posted up here in a while because we've been having fun.......
Always great to hear about these being used rather than worked on, congratulations!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Mm, no pictures up today but got a few things knocked off the to do list. Pulled off the front passenger tire and installed some new pads. The old ones had plenty of pad but we're dusty as sin. Probably just old. I was dreading this for some reason or another. Surprise, took longer to jack up the front and pull off the tire than to install new pads.. Ridiculously easy on these old rigs! Geez.. Plus, the fuel lines from the mechanical pump to the fuel filter were looking a bit tired. Another 20 minutes later and new lines are installed. Must be this cool weather is motivating! Later this week I'll tackle the other side and hopefully grab some pictures.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Sure is nice when things go according to plan isn't it! To bad it doesn't happen more often

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #102
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Good morning crew. Today's question is about the brake system. I was in the drivers side front brake area yesterday swapping out pads and noticed some worn lines in the power steering area. One of the lines was chaffing against a metal radiator support and is worn pretty bad. Needs replacing. The line comes off of the power steering pump and goes into the brake booster in front of the reservoir. I should be able to figure this out.. but.. its counter-intuative for me. The brake system on these motorhome runs off of power steering fluid, correct? So am I correct in assuming there is no brake fluid at all in these coaches? If I bleed the lines I'm bleeding out power steering fluid?
If this is the case I'm wondering what spec of flexible tubing (appears to be 3/8" hose) I need to purchase to replace the old stuff. I don't know if standard fuel tubing is rated for power steering fluid also. ?? THe 2 flexible lines I'd like to replace are hose-clamped on. No crimped/threaded lines.
And, question #2. If I replace these 2 hoses I also assume I'm opening up the system and will need to bleed it out in its entirety. Not looking forward to doing this if I don't have to.
Feedback appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 AM   #103
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
A few pics. Drivers side front near the brake booster. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445251699.684186.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	250638Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445251720.910181.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	250639Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1445251745.826081.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	250640
Old 10-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #104
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Good morning crew. Today's question is about the brake system. I was in the drivers side front brake area yesterday swapping out pads and noticed some worn lines in the power steering area. One of the lines was chaffing against a metal radiator support and is worn pretty bad. Needs replacing. The line comes off of the power steering pump and goes into the brake booster in front of the reservoir. I should be able to figure this out.. but.. its counter-intuative for me. The brake system on these motorhome runs off of power steering fluid, correct? So am I correct in assuming there is no brake fluid at all in these coaches? If I bleed the lines I'm bleeding out power steering fluid?
If this is the case I'm wondering what spec of flexible tubing (appears to be 3/8" hose) I need to purchase to replace the old stuff. I don't know if standard fuel tubing is rated for power steering fluid also. ??
And, question #2. If I replace these 2 hoses I also assume I'm opening up the system and will need to bleed it out in its entirety. Not looking forward to doing this if I don't have to.
Feedback appreciated. Thanks.
Easy does it!
The power steering pump to Booster lines are separate from the Brake (fluid) system and Power steering fluid is used NOT brake fluid.
The lines are still available at Napa and such or can be rebuild by a local hydraulic line shop.
Once you replace the lines and add fluid as needed, the best way to bleed the powersteering is to raise the front tires off the ground and slowly turn the steering left to right. In many cases you do not even have to do that, just make a few loops around the block to get the air out.

a few tips:
Clean thoroughly around the fitting with a small wirebrush, to keep dirt out of the system. You don't want dirt to enter your booster.
Buy yourself the right size tubewrench to get the nuts loose.
Austin Rebuilders at 505 W . Oltorf 512-448-0884 will rebuild those lines using your old fitting and tubes.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Easy does it!
The power steering pump to Booster lines are separate from the Brake (fluid) system and Power steering fluid is used NOT brake fluid.
Peter, THANKS. Great to know they are separate systems. The lines on my coach aren't crimped at all. Simply hose clamped tubing.. Perhaps they shouldn't be? I'm sure they are fairly old, so they've been this way for a while. I attempted to circle them in the pics. Should I purchase new Napa lines with fitted ends or can I replace them again with the hose clamp method?

These must be low pressure return lines to not have a crimp fitting.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	250643   Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	250644  

Old 10-19-2015, 05:27 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yep, Peter nailed it.

The Hydroboost is an interesting braking system that works well when the power steering pump is working. I can vouch for the fact that if you loose your power steering pump v-belt (I lost all belts simultaneously on a trip once) your brakes become true manual brakes. If you want to slow down fast while driving 65 mph you have to literally get out of your seat, stand and apply as much pressure by holding onto the steering wheel as you can. Made my life real exciting for the next few minutes
Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben, the lines with hose clamps would be the low pressure suction side of the system. I believe you just have to buy power steering hose in bulk and replace as needed. I would use new hose clamps as well just in case
Old 10-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #108
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Peter, THANKS. Great to know they are separate systems. The lines on my coach aren't crimped at all. Simply hose clamped tubing.. Perhaps they shouldn't be? I'm sure they are fairly old, so they've been this way for a while. I attempted to circle them in the pics. Should I purchase new Napa lines with fitted ends or can I replace them again with the hose clamp method?

These must be low pressure return lines to not have a crimp fitting.
Thanks.
That would save you a load of trouble, to just replace the rubber with new clamps, like Brad says.
I have never seen those lines with clamps, someone must have decided to change them to crimp fittings as a standard due to the constant vibration, maybe ??
My decision if using just rubber would be based on the metal tube. If it has a flared end, I would consider using just new rubber, if not I would replace all.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:52 AM   #109
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...600_0390198288

From Napa. Intersting that the lower pressure side appears to be hose clamped. Also intersting that they have a finned radiator built in. I have a simple loop but without any cooling. Looks like a nicely updated part. I'll most likely just replace the low pressure hoses at this time. But fantastic to know I can pick this piece up locally. Thank you gentlemen!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Interesting hoses. One thing to watch for when buying replacement power steering lines is I'm pretty sure the hoses you need are specific to the motorhome chassis. I've found it best to take the old hose(s) with you when looking for a replacement.

Saves multiple trips to the parts store!

Brad
Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 AM   #111
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
I had an inquiry about my snorkel set-up using Brad's air cleaner from above in this thread. Thought I'd just post up my plans. Pretty simple to add a snorkel with the original air cleaner. My motorhome already has a duct in the front, located on the passenger side just behind the grill. I have no idea if this is a factory part but the location is good (doesn't block the radiator at all) and I will be reusing it. Or, I should say, reconnecting it. Here's a few poor quality pictures of the connection point, and a link to the snorkel tube I'll be purchasing on Amazon. Simply a matter of connecting the aircleaner to the inlet via the flexible snorkel tube.

Amazon.com: 3" Inch Cooling Extendable Cold Air Intake Flexible Hose Pipe CAI Tube 76mm Kit: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coldair3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	251167   Click image for larger version

Name:	coldair1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	251168  

Name:	coldair4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	251169   Click image for larger version

Name:	coldiar2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	251170  

Old 10-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
My decision if using just rubber would be based on the metal tube. If it has a flared end, I would consider using just new rubber, if not I would replace all.
Peter, the low pressure hoses did indeed have a flared end. A few feet of power steering hose and new, double hose clamps did the trick. We're back in business.