Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 05:04 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
battle tested. :)

We're BACK. Aside from a few misc things the old beast was amazing. Nearly 3000 miles door to door and we had zero major problems. I was honestly surprised and incredibly impressed with the beast. A few things I noted over the course of the journey.
We left Texas in 94 degree heat and sat in a 3 hour traffic jam in Oklahoma city. Barely moving, I had to keep the engine running the entire time. No airflow and our genny quit, so No house or dash AC. Engine temp hovered around 200 the entire time but the truck never overheated. Amazing. Also, the return journey south of Oklahoma we saw triple digit heat for most of the day. Again, the engine never ran over 190-195. And this was cruising at 60mph turning 2400 rpm for hours on end. I can't believe how cool and consistent it ran. Maybe it was the new exhaust or the high-flow waterpump. Also, the PO had the radiator vatted and pressure tested. So, my hats off to him. The engine ran so great in extreme temperatures.
Also noted. At 2400 rpm over the course of the entire trip I added MAYBE 2/3 quart of oil. Unreal. I had just swapped oil out for 20w-50 weight with one quart of Lucas. A winning combo I'll be sticking with here in the TX heat.
Genny. reletively untested and I just got it running the day before the trip. No carb tune-up or anything. Just a mixture adjustment on the idle and new oil. We ran it half the trip, from Kansas south, both directions. Never failed. While our window seals our toast and the air didn't exactly keep us cool.. it was better than nothing and the system performed admirably. GO GENNY GO.
A few misc 'problems' to be sorted after I recover for a bit. headlights don't work. Hilarious, we drove in the daylight anyway. 12v lights/blinkers etc work, just no headlights. found that out at 5AM while trying to get an early start to the day. We had to mosey back to our spot, grab a cup of coffee and wait the hr before sunrise and we were on our way with only a slight delay.
Misc item 2, our steering column threw us for a loop. I think the lock mechanism shifted about 20 degrees and I had to readjust the linkage to (barely) get us PRN and D. No Low 1 or 2. I limped home like this just fine. Other than that were had an eneventful driving experience. I'll call our motorhome battle tested for now. Awesome. Attached picture from the net is what I assume our column looks like, and I'm expecting to find the lock shaft somehow misaligned. could be that my 18 month old thought he could hang from the shifter while I wasn't looking.
Glad to be back, and can't wait to put on more miles in the future.
BG
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:07 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
lock wheel pic. Maybe not a GM, but close enough for the general layout.

edit: OK, airforums isn't letting me upload pics at this time.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben, glad to hear your maiden voyage was a success!

It sounds like your genset worked most of the time but you had some trouble with it quitting while stuck in traffic, is that right? Do you know what your fuel level in tank was when the genset quit? There is a separate fuel tap for the generator that is set higher than then engine fuel tap. That way your generator won't run the fuel tank down to empty.

I'm curious to see what is wrong with your steering column. I have the one from my 74 Argosy for parts or if you need the whole thing you're welcome to it.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
It sounds like your genset worked most of the time but you had some trouble with it quitting while stuck in traffic, is that right? Do you know what your fuel level in tank was when the genset quit? There is a separate fuel tap for the generator that is set higher than then engine fuel tap. That way your generator won't run the fuel tank down to empty.

Brad

Wow, had no idea the genset feed line was higher than the engines. I'm pretty sure we were at least 3/8 to 1/2 tank. I just assumed it stalled in the thick, stagnant air on the freeway. I have no doubt that the mixtures aren't perfect. Very possible it just ran out of fuel though. Great tip.
Keep you posted on the column, I'll document the damage when I get it pulled apart. Thanks for the parts offer, I might have to take you up on it once I see what's broken/bent. Thanks Brad!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Wow, had no idea the genset feed line was higher than the engines. I'm pretty sure we were at least 3/8 to 1/2 tank. I just assumed it stalled in the thick, stagnant air on the freeway. I have no doubt that the mixtures aren't perfect. Very possible it just ran out of fuel though. Great tip.
With luck the genset problem is solved

Quote:
Keep you posted on the column, I'll document the damage when I get it pulled apart. Thanks for the parts offer, I might have to take you up on it once I see what's broken/bent. Thanks Brad!
Now that I think about it I also have a steering column from a 70s Chevy van sitting in the barn loft that might be good for parts as well.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
A bit random, but does anyone have a picture of a factory aircleaner for a 454 powered Argosy?
Mine has an aftermarket cleaner on it with no snorkel. While it works fine (enough), when I"m in standstill traffic in the summer I can't imagine the temp of the hot air its trying to vaporize in the carb. I'd like to go back to the factory snorkel kit. Time to start looking on E-bay for an original.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben,

Before reverting back to the stock filter which doesn't do much more than what you have now consider some air cleaner options.

I'm doing what Projector did to his Argosy. I originally was going to use a double snorkel but due to space restrictions I ended up buying just a single inlet air horn.

If you really just want a factory setup I've got one you can have. I will tell you though having a snorkel input will give you a slight increase in mileage.

To give you an idea of improvement, just adding a metalic dryer vent hose to the factory snorkel (snout?) added almost one MPG on a 83 Winnebago that I used to have. It went from 5+ MPG to 6+ MPG with just a dryer vent hose.

Brad
Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Brad, didn't these motorohomes come with a factory cold air intake? Reason I ask is because on the passenger side just behind my front grill I have a cone opening which will accept a snorkel tube. Nothings attached to it currently so I assumed a PO removed the tube (dryer vent hose) in favor of a regular aftermarket aircleaner.
I figured it was factory. Guess at one point I HAD a cold air intake, then someone pulled it for unknown reasons.
I'll go over the air cleaner options thread. Yes, I'm effectively looking to put on a cold air intake.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben, I wasn't aware that any of the Argosy motorhomes had a cold air intake. The earliest that I have seen a cold air intake was on the 84 that I had and it was from the Banks system.

If you have a cone then my bet is a PO installed the cold air intake and someone down the line thought they would go the hot rod approach!

Either way, if you want my OEM filter housing you're welcome to it.

Brad
Old 08-07-2015, 04:17 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Brad
Brad, do you have a picture of the oem housing? Does the bell at the end accept a tube that I can run out front to connect to my cone? Might work then, otherwise I can shop e-bay for one, or look at the Spectre unit. (looks very nice but requires a cone filter at the front end).
Old 08-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Brad
Brad, do you have a picture of the oem housing? Does the bell at the end accept a tube that I can run out front to connect to my cone? Might work then, otherwise I can shop e-bay for one, or look at the Spectre unit. (looks very nice but requires a cone filter at the front end).
Old 08-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I should be able to snap a few pictures sometime today since I can't mow like I planned because it rained yesterday for the umpteenth day in a row.

I believe it's the same style that was on the Winnebago where we ran a dryer vent hose from the snout down to the front grille.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Pictures as promised...

Click image for larger version

Name:	454-oem-breather-1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	244809Click image for larger version

Name:	454-oem-breather-2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	244810

But wait there's more, not only do you get a complete air filter housing it also comes with a free brand new Wix air filter

This is the same style I used a dryer vent hose on.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
SOLD. I can make that work.

Just sent you a PM with pertinent info. Thanks Brad.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
What do you think would happen if you simply attached a hose to the stock snorkel and ran in up front to get fresh cool air?
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
What do you think would happen if you simply attached a hose to the stock snorkel and ran in up front to get fresh cool air?
That's the plan with Brads air cleaner! I'm currently running an aftermarket cleaner with no snorkel at all. Its simply a round filter. My current setup works OK, but when we're stuck in traffic in triple digits I notice that the doghouse area, and even the surround areas by the pedal cluster get HOT. I can feel the trapped heat leaking out of the hinge location along the doghouse. Everything gets heatsoaked. All that hot air is just trapped while not moving. I figured the least I can do (in a cost-effective manor) would be to install a snorkel of some kind to get some cooler air in. I'm hoping it helps a little.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:42 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
more fun, less work.

I haven't posted up here in a while because we've been having fun. Here's a couple shots from our latest venture to Port Aransas, TX last weekend. Another 400 miles under the belt. While I still have a host of things to fix on the old girl, my band-aids have lasted through the summer. Hopefully cooler weather around the corner will put me in a better mood to go outside and start tearing things apart.
Brad, your aircleaner arrived safely and should work great with a snorkel. Thanks.
Just posting up for some fun. Still enjoying everyones progress threads.
Best,
Ben

Funny, as I look at the picture of our campsite I realize, as usual.. we're the oldest moho in the park. love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port_A_camping.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	249374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Aransas 2015.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	249375  

Old 09-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I haven't posted up here in a while because we've been having fun. Here's a couple shots from our latest venture to Port Aransas, TX last weekend. Another 400 miles under the belt. While I still have a host of things to fix on the old girl, my band-aids have lasted through the summer. Hopefully cooler weather around the corner will put me in a better mood to go outside and start tearing things apart.
Brad, your aircleaner arrived safely and should work great with a snorkel. Thanks.
Just posting up for some fun. Still enjoying everyones progress threads.
Best,
Ben

Funny, as I look at the picture of our campsite I realize, as usual.. we're the oldest moho in the park. love it.
Ben,

Sounds like you've got things under control

Glad you can use the air cleaner. Definitely better than having it sit on my shelf for untold number of years down the road.

Brad
Old 09-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #99
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
I haven't posted up here in a while because we've been having fun.......
Always great to hear about these being used rather than worked on, congratulations!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Mm, no pictures up today but got a few things knocked off the to do list. Pulled off the front passenger tire and installed some new pads. The old ones had plenty of pad but we're dusty as sin. Probably just old. I was dreading this for some reason or another. Surprise, took longer to jack up the front and pull off the tire than to install new pads.. Ridiculously easy on these old rigs! Geez.. Plus, the fuel lines from the mechanical pump to the fuel filter were looking a bit tired. Another 20 minutes later and new lines are installed. Must be this cool weather is motivating! Later this week I'll tackle the other side and hopefully grab some pictures.