Old 11-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I always thought the original mirrors left a lot to be desired. I opted for replacement mirrors on my Argosy as well.

Glad to hear you're making progress

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #268
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Waco , Texas
78 Argosy 28'

Well the older we get the slower we go, the windows are all done and it has rained and thank god no leaks. Made one small trip with grand kids to check things out, and everthing seams to work OK, had a small headlight problem which turned out to be a bad ground. On the way back the alternater quit so I guess I will pull the radeator and check out the front of the engine and change the alt. to a 100amp. I did revamp the inverter box to hold 2 house batterys so she now has 3 house batterys seams to work OK. Going to take the grand kids to Georgetown Ceder lake campgrounds on the 28th just another short trip.

zus95937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I can totally understand about getting slower as you get older!

I'm glad to hear you're making progress. You don't have to pull the radiator to change the alternator. You should be able to access some of it from the top and the rest from inside the passenger front wheel well. What will make it difficult from the top is the doghouse cover isn't very user friendly. However the front section of the doghouse cover is removable, that is depending how what is covering the doghouse lid itself.

Brad
Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #270
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Waco , Texas
Argosy 28

I think I will pull the Raditor, just because I want to look at the belts and hoses, turn the crank and see how much slop there is in the chain, also check the water pump ( you know it all needs replaceing ) I want to install a 100amp altenator 1 wire so I need the room to work, I want to change the battery wireing to two seperat system, 1 for just the engine and chassie system and 1 for the house with a manual control constant duty solanoid on a switch that I can use to start the engine if needed. Has anyone taken the rear bath apart on a 28' ? I need to strighten out the plumbing and most of it is in the storge closet under the bottem shelf very hard to get to, It did pass safety insp. so good for another year. More later as we get it done.
zus95937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by zus95937 View Post
I think I will pull the Raditor, just because I want to look at the belts and hoses, turn the crank and see how much slop there is in the chain, also check the water pump ( you know it all needs replaceing ) I want to install a 100amp altenator 1 wire so I need the room to work, I want to change the battery wireing to two seperat system, 1 for just the engine and chassie system and 1 for the house with a manual control constant duty solanoid on a switch that I can use to start the engine if needed. Has anyone taken the rear bath apart on a 28' ? I need to strighten out the plumbing and most of it is in the storge closet under the bottem shelf very hard to get to, It did pass safety insp. so good for another year. More later as we get it done.
While the radiator is out definitely take it to a radiator shop and have it checked out.

I would strongly suggest that you do not use a 1-wire alternator but instead and stick with the 3 wire configuration. The 1-wire setup does not properly read the actual system voltage. There are a lot of articles discussing the problems of using the 1-wire vs the 3-wire.

Brad