Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Edmonds , Washington
Looks great, you are getting there. I'm thinking about re-doing my radiator and am worried about some of the 36 year old bolts. It is good to see someone tackling the engine without (too much) difficulty. I've encountered older (printing) machinery at work and it seems less aggravating when I'm getting paid to drill out and helicoil cantankerous fittings. Of course, having my wife asking me which pillow matches the seat cushions better while I'm under the moho trying to insert a front air bag is always a treat.

I did not find the post stating your reason for pulling the oil pan- just a leak, or something more?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Hey Kevin. Thanks. Love the multi-tasking while-under-motorhome story! My wife does the same! Also, my 16 month old crawled under the Moho last night while I was trying to line up motormounts.. Just smile at me and smear grease all over himself. Gotta love it all.

Sorry, I guess I didn't talk about why dropped the pan. Just leaking. When I bought the motorhome there were a few major mechanical things I wanted to get done right away. The underside by the flywheel had a thick nasty layer of oil build-up all over it and was leaking pretty bad from the RMS. I went through a quart and 1/4 of oil on my 750 mile drive home. I'm sure the engine could have burnt some of it, but there was an oil slick running down the back of the trans, down the driveshaft... All starting from the RMS area. It needed to be done. I added a host of 'while-you're'-in-there' items. But, I'm hoping to have a mostly dry undercarriage for a few years after this. As well as not go through nearly as much oil. That's all. The 454 seems to be strong otherwise.
Motormounts had some weather checking but were actually still OK. Transmission mount was Toast. Basically metal to metal on the crossframe.

Sounds like you get to have fun on your job, working on printing equipment. Agreed, its always better when you can get paid for it.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
update: Regarding the hole in the upper intake manifold gasket. Its for a heat riser system. Basically a passive intake warming system (casting cavity) that passes from the heads into/thru the lower intake under the carb. This is a non-pressurized, non-wet cavity. Just takes passive heat from the heads and warms the intake faster during cold starts. The waterjacket holes are quite a ways from this part of the gasket and there is zero immediate need to change out the gaskets for now. Basically hotrodders use a block-off plate when rebuilding becuase these don't serve a real purpose in modern engines. Good for me at this time as I don't have to pull the intake. I'll save this job for a cold, rainy weekend sometime down the road when we don't have any immediate travel plans. Took a bit of internet forum poking around to figure this one out. My list just got that much shorter.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
My list just got that much shorter.
Wow...I'm jealous, I don't think I've ever had my list get shorter...!
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Nice work on the RMS! Those speaker grills look just like the ones in my 1979 AS 24' MH. I'm with Brad on the list situation. Every time I sit down to review my completion list it seems like I add 3 items for every one I check off.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Rain Rain Rain here in Central Texas. I think this is the wettest May I've seen in the past 13 years here.. Not too conducive to either painting the inside or wrenching underneath.. None the less, nearly completely zipped up on the RMS job. Still have a few items to reassemble before firing her up for the first time in a month. Lets HOPE for no leaks..
Gregsch, if you are able I'd appreciate a picture of that speaker grill. We've about given up on it, but haven't ordered new speakers yet. A model year would help in the search if its the right part!

As for a shorter list.. well.. I'm working hard to focus on the things that have to be done to get her on the road in modest comfort and functionality. And gritting my teeth at the things I'd Like to do, but will put off for later. #1 goal is to use it.. #2 goal will be to fix the pesky things as they come up. I've had so many car projects that have stretched way too long because of WYIT syndrome. At least that's the goal.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
Ben,

I just acquired an Argosy RV and also live in Austin. I know you mentioned having to replace the window seals, and the ones in my Argosy are shot as well. Can you give an update on that work if you've done it yet? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Seridia, awesome to have another Argosy owner in the neighborhood. What part of Austin are you in? Might be fun to get together sometime and swap stories/take a look at each others progress. I'm Southwest, off 71 headed toward Dripping Springs.
I haven't done with windows yet, but plan to follow mprokop87's great write-up at the beginning of this thread. Its on my chore list, but still working on mechanicals at the moment.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Austin , Texas
Ben, I'm in east Austin off 290 towards Manor. I just noticed an Argosy 28' Experimental out at the storage facility we're going to be keeping ours at. With any luck I may run into them sometime while they're out there.

I'm very glad mprokop87 provided some insight into changing out those seals as my husband has apparently been wracking his brain about how to get it done. I think I'll make a thread about the restoration of my Argosy so I can share the adventure with everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Seridia, awesome to have another Argosy owner in the neighborhood. What part of Austin are you in? Might be fun to get together sometime and swap stories/take a look at each others progress. I'm Southwest, off 71 headed toward Dripping Springs.
I haven't done with windows yet, but plan to follow mprokop87's great write-up at the beginning of this thread. Its on my chore list, but still working on mechanicals at the moment.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
An interesting problem lately. And super frustrating. I have a massive, pressurized oil leak coming from the oil filter adapter plate. I installed the felpro oil gasket kit (ES72671 ) which had the paper gasket as well as the larger o-ring. Problem is that the large o-ring does NOT fit correctly. Its a bit too large in overall diameter, causing it to not sit in the o-ring groove on the adapter body. When you torque the adapter down you have no idea if the ring is 'squeezing' in properly, or if your'e just pinching it. After reassembly (twice), I start the engine and still have a massive dribble of oil spewing out onto the floor. Grr... I do NOT think the felpro kit has the correct gasket. Looks like the original is a 'square profile' gasket, and the felpro is a round profile. Going to call the dealership today and see what their parts department has to say. This is frustrating because I'm working on a 454.. They made a million of these engine and the gaskets should just not be hard to come by.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ment%20O-Rings

The o-ring above has the square profile and looks like it might be correct. Hopefully the dealership can confirm this, and with any luck, have one in stock. Still, has me scratching my head that this particular gasket isn't available at the local parts store, or that it doesn't seem to be common among 454 owners. I've spent way too much time on the net trying to research this.. With little luck referencing this 'square' gasket. If Anyone here has got to the bottom of this problem let me know. Are we having fun yet? no. Sigh.. I'd love to be moving on to another item on my list.

enough venting for the day. I'll post up the solution when its discovered.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ben,

One trick I've used in the past is to use a heavy grease to hold an o-ring in place during the assembly process. Might be worth a try anyway.

Definitely let us know what you end up doing to resolve the problem.

Good luck!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
http://www.amazon.com/Canton-Racing-...eywords=98-004

OK. I talked to our local chev dealership.. Nothing there. I couldn't get a hold of the people at Summit. Next step was to contact Canton Racing in Ohio about the 'kit' they have for BBC oil adapters. Good people there, they opened up their CAD files and took some measurements for me. I ended up ordering the o-ring kit above. The factory oil cooler adapter apparently needs the square cut gasket. The univeral kits from felpro/dorman etc all carry an o-ring seal. I guess they sometimes work and sometimes don't. So... I ordered up this one and will post up when I've done the install. Sure hope it works.
Brad, thank's for the tip. I'll use it for the install.

BG
Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
here are the pics.. sorry for the delay. i have spent every waking moment stripping my MH. As far as I know these were OEM on my 79 Excella.. i don't plan on using them . after I upgrade my system you can have them if you want them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	240009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	240010  

Old 06-07-2015, 05:08 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Greg,
Man, I can't believe you found/have the original (motorola, it appears) speakers and grill covers! Bad timing I guess, I had placed a bid on e-bay for some new 5 1/4" drivers with speaker grill covers and won the auction last night. So, I guess we're going the new route. Thanks very much for ID'ing these things as well as the offer to send them my way. I don't think the new ones will have quite the old school flair that the originals did, but at least they'll be clean and functional.

On a different note, we're using POR-15's whitecote on our entire bathroom. I applied the first topcoat last night and the product is as advertised. Rock hard and seals things up like nothing else. A few comments on this product: Here in Texas, where its now in the mid 90's and almost zero humidity, the paint catalyzes way faster than specified on the label. Says you get 4-6 hrs of working time. I had about 45 min, then she kicked off and I was painting with peanut butter. Had to throw away half a batch and the stuff is very expensive. So, the catalyzing mixture will be a bit less the next go-around. It definately takes 2 coats of this product and it doesn't go on great. I think its comparable to painting with an oilbase. YOu can't go over it too many times or it dries with chunky brush strokes. Still, I'm pleased with its durability and will continue to use it. Pics whenever I get the second coat on and it's finished.

Happy weekend folks.

BG