Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #183
3 Rivet Member
 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 207
Pulled from the net, so it must be true.

The Chevrolet 8.1 liter engine was produced from 2001-2006 and installed in HD 2500 and larger trucks and vans, as well as motor homes, Suburbans and
Avalanches.

Post 2006 I believe they went to smaller and higher revving 6.0L. They also could have built and put in production both at the same time. Either would actually be good candidates for a moho swap if you ask me. I'd take either one if the right thing popped up. Many motorhomes used the 8.1L/4l80E combo. I think even the AS landyachts were 8.1L's. I don't have any info on the allison to be honest. However, if they were used behind HD Chevy work trucks that's good enough for me.

Something pulled from a motorhome will most likely have lower mileage than a worktruck. Just the nature of the beast.
__________________

__________________
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #184
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,179
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Pulled from the net, so it must be true.

The Chevrolet 8.1 liter engine was produced from 2001-2006 and installed in HD 2500 and larger trucks and vans, as well as motor homes, Suburbans and
Avalanches.

Post 2006 I believe they went to smaller and higher revving 6.0L. They also could have built and put in production both at the same time. Either would actually be good candidates for a moho swap if you ask me. I'd take either one if the right thing popped up. Many motorhomes used the 8.1L/4l80E combo. I think even the AS landyachts were 8.1L's. I don't have any info on the allison to be honest. However, if they were used behind HD Chevy work trucks that's good enough for me.

Something pulled from a motorhome will most likely have lower mileage than a worktruck. Just the nature of the beast.
Not sure if I would consider a 6.0 as a replacement motor for our Motorhomes. I currently have G3500 van with a 6.0l and i use it to pull trailers up to 8000 pounds. It works fine with all the modern equipment, but does struggle on major hills.
__________________

__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:08 AM   #185
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,783
In searching a little more it appears around 90% of "2500/3500" supplied, came with the small block derivative 6.0L, and only around 10% had the big block 8.1L, but of those only a small subset (not even all the HD) had the 5-speed, and later 6-speed Allison 1000.

I know they made thousands between 2001-2007 (when they stopped using the Allison), but if 10% were big block, and 10% of those were the Allison, it sort off shows why there aren't many still running (plenty of engine/trans combos being parted out, or rotted out bodies whose engines need work!).

The searching continues, I am now on a 'mission!
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #186
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The searching continues, I am now on a 'mission!
Wellllll....you did need to find something to do....in your spare time...
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #187
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I know they made thousands between 2001-2007 (when they stopped using the Allison), but if 10% were big block, and 10% of those were the Allison, it sort off shows why there aren't many still running (plenty of engine/trans combos being parted out, or rotted out bodies whose engines need work!).
It almost makes the one Ben posted a good deal. Only trick would be finding all of the brackets, harnesses, computer and misc bits which might not be as difficult as finding a truck with the combination you're looking for in good condition.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #188
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,783
Look what I just found and only around than 50miles from home, https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5395724433.html
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member
 
Gregsch's Avatar

 
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 425
And you took time to post here before you called about it. ????
__________________
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #190
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,783
I did call but had to leave a message, so will have to wait to find out if it is still for sale....and how much he wants to the computer, harness etc.
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:06 AM   #191
3 Rivet Member
 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 207
AWESOME! Keep us posted Martin! With 330hp and 450ft/lbs of torque on hand you'd be pulling trees down with your coach. Not to mention all the real good stuff that comes along with it. (true multiport FI, serpentine belt, 6spd auto trans) Perfect.
__________________
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #192
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
AWESOME! Keep us posted Martin! With 330hp and 450ft/lbs of torque on hand you'd be pulling trees down with your coach. Not to mention all the real good stuff that comes along with it. (true multiport FI, serpentine belt, 6spd auto trans) Perfect.
I'm trying VERY hard to ignore all of this chatter about upgrading to an 8.1/Allison 6-speed, etc.....my new 454 is on the test stand and just last night I started installing the new Thorley headers. I'm going to force myself to stick with the combination of 454/4L80e

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-thorley-header-install.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	256425Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-thorley-header-install-1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	256426

I'm beginning to think Martin is a bad influence on me
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #193
3 Rivet Member
 
1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 207
Thats one purty setup Brad. Not a dang thing wrong with what you'll be running. For that matter, there isn't really anything wrong with my tired 454 and th-400. Does what it needs to. But always tempting to do some updating when the opportunity arises.
__________________
bpg_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #194
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
Thats one purty setup Brad. Not a dang thing wrong with what you'll be running. For that matter, there isn't really anything wrong with my tired 454 and th-400. Does what it needs to. But always tempting to do some updating when the opportunity arises.
Tempting is right

But, I've got a bunch of TBI parts on the shelf now with more coming so I'll "make do" with a minor modernization to my 454 and the overdrive in the 4L80e!
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #195
4 Rivet Member
 
shepherd57's Avatar
 
1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 342
Images: 5
Come on Brad 5.9 Cummings and 6spd Allison you will never look back
__________________
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #196
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
Come on Brad 5.9 Cummings and 6spd Allison you will never look back
John, that reminds of the old adage “There comes a time in every project when you must shoot the engineers and begin production.”

In my case it would be "There comes a time in every Argosy when you mush shoot the owner and let the builder finish it"

If I was starting from a blank slate that might be the way to but I need to learn to live with what I've got on hand and just finish the darn thing!
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ben and Lynn's Bambi II Re-do PA BAMBI II 1964 Bambi II 121 05-22-2016 07:56 PM
Ben's Bed :: 1994 Airstream Sovereign kmaggard Airstream Registry Discussions 0 06-20-2013 08:20 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.