ID:	253347  

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Boy I would sure like to replace the ducts to my defroster like you did Dean. How big of a chore is it to get the top of the dash off like you show in the picture? I bet mine are rotted and have holes in them.

Mike

Old 12-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
My heater blower switch was replaced at some point. They used a 4 position swtch. The high position did not work. I ran a new wire from the switch to a relay and picked up the power, full 12volts, from the battery. Now I have a high setting that provides very strong air blowing. Only a minor amp draw through the switch since it only activates the relay. I believe this is a typical set up on many vehicles, low and medium speeds run through a resistor and the high setting is a direct full 12volts. Important to use a relay from the battery so you dont have that amp draw through the switch.

Mike
Old 12-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Boy I would sure like to replace the ducts to my defroster like you did Dean. How big of a chore is it to get the top of the dash off like you show in the picture? I bet mine are rotted and have holes in them.

Mike
Mike, its a bit of a chore to remove the dash. The corners at the middle pillar where buried in the windshield sealant so I had to cut the dash there to get it out. My biggest worry was to not break the glass! Also many of the screws long that outer edge of the dash where broken (screws had rusted). So easier to remove the dash. But, in reinstalling the dash I drilled new holes for new screws. Again, the big worry was not to break the windshield with a slip of the drill or screwdriver.

If I were you, I would try to replace the flexible ducts without removing the dash. You can pull up the vents out of the top of the dash and if you have small hands, you should be able to reach down to unscrew the hard plastic piece from the metal plenum. One issue I still have is that I cut the flexible ducts too long and the vents will not stay flush down into the dash. But if you cut them too short, you will not be able to grab the flexible duct to pull them out of the hole enough to connect the vents to the flexible ducts. A catch 22 for sure.

Like I mentioned, I was sweating the whole process over not breaking the windshield by accidentally hitting it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5293b.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	253350  

Old 12-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
My heater blower switch was replaced at some point. They used a 4 position swtch. The high position did not work. I ran a new wire from the switch to a relay and picked up the power, full 12volts, from the battery. Now I have a high setting that provides very strong air blowing. Only a minor amp draw through the switch since it only activates the relay. I believe this is a typical set up on many vehicles, low and medium speeds run through a resistor and the high setting is a direct full 12volts. Important to use a relay from the battery so you dont have that amp draw through the switch.

Mike
Yup, if I did this again or maybe even sometime in the future, I would install a relay so as not to have the high amperage going through the fan switch!

Old 12-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thank you for the picture and information Dean.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

Mike
That's basically how my Argosy is set up, a separate relay high speed.

I'm actually reworking mine and will be using separate realys for each speed.

brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dean, that was a good write up.

I'm really quite surprised that the 74-76 Argosies and 84 (maybe 83?) and later Classics had one type of system and in the 77-82 years they used a different system.

At least now I have a better idea of the differences.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #149
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great info on the heater system. Over the weekend I easily located the fan blower and now have some steps to follow in troubleshooting the system. Awesome.
I did spend most of the weekend working on my innitial project, which was attempting to fix my steering column. I pulled the wheel and took the column all the way down past the tilt system. (which is ALL The way down). Even got underneath and pulled the splined shaft cotter bolt and removed the entire inner shaft. Frustratingly enough, I believe I have a bend in the inner hollow tube with the shift arm at the base, under the motorhome. The bend is somewhere internal, so the column will have to be completely pulled at a later date and dissassembled on the bench. I'll either be able to fix it there, or, more likely, be hitting the salvage yards for a replacement column. Since I'm still headed out to the AS rally on Friday, I had to put everything back together and mojo it for one last trip. It was a frustrating and fruitless weekend.
So, as far as the heater goes, I'm adding it to my ever-growing list.
Thanks again group.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:11 AM   #150
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg_austin View Post
.... It was a frustrating and fruitless weekend.
So, as far as the heater goes, I'm adding it to my ever-growing list.
Thanks again group.
Sounds to me like you had a very productive weekend. Now you know what to hunt down and how to install it.
I spent almost more time hunting down tools and reading up about front end ball joint replacement then doing the actual job. Without all that time spent, the rig would probably still be up on jacks.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #151
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Talking about being prepared...Ben rolled and I mean rolled in our Blanco Rally. I was bringing firewood to the Pavilion for our pot luck when I saw his Argosy just across the Blanco River. I had all my tools in my van and we gave Ben a helping hand replacing his fuelpump, he brought as a spare!!! A new record was broken in fuel pump replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	253739  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well, if you're going to break down what better place than a place where Peter is!

I always carried a spare fuel pump with the 310 as well as a compliment of ignition components.

Ben's fuel pump failure brings up an interesting question (to me anyway!), can or will the typical rear electric pusher fuel pump provide enough pressure to keep the engine running if the mechanical pump on the engine fails?

Brad
Old 12-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #153
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Well, if you're going to break down what better place than a place where Peter is!

Brad
No kidding! I was there for less than 10 minutes before Peter and his buddy Joe showed up with a truck and full compliment of tools! We had the new pump on in about 30 minutes thanks to their help and expertise. Before I knew it the motorhome was back in business and up at out campsite under its own power. What a pleasure to meet you in person Peter. The help was greatly appreciated.

Now, I've got the beast sitting in the driveway ready for some winter projects. Steering, heater/defrost/headlights.. Pretty much all the maintenance I've deferred from this summer when we were too busy camping to do. Blanco was worth the trip, I highly recommend this rally for anyone considering it. Great people, great location.

Brad, interesting point on the electric pump. I honestly don't plan to ever install one to test your theory. I will, however, go to the auto store and have another mechanical pump in the spare parts bin again.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 AM   #154
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Sounds like a good time was had by all

I'm surprised your coach doesn't already have an electric fuel pump. Maybe Airstream didn't start installing them until the Classics came out.

My little 20 has an electric pump back by the OEM tank. I have no idea who installed it but I do plan on replacing it with a shiny new one.

If you need steering column parts you're welcome to the original column from my Argosy that's sitting on the shelf. Someone had taken a chisel to the left side by the turn signal assembly so I replaced the entire column with the one I had removed from the 345 that I dismantled.

Brad