Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Bathroom Fan

I would like to install a fan in the bathroom in our 26ft side bath motorhome. It doesn't have one at the present time so I would like to know if there what is involved to install one.

And is there a special model fan made for that application
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We will be installing a bullet fan in our bathroom. Not sure if that's really the name... It's a 6 inch round pop up fan that's used in modern airstreams. We bought it at Out of Doors Mart, Inland RV might carry them too. They are supposed to be powerful little suckers. The newest Airstreams have them installed right over the shower stalls.

Have to get back to you on how it installs.....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The 6" round vent that raises up is called a Vanair, made by Ventline. It is used on most newer Airstream travel trailers, as well as the Classic motor homes.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Love mine. Never had to instal one. I do have to replace the handle and screen in my 87 345.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I have the same fan in my '82 28 foot Airstream MH. The fan blade exploded a while back. I bought a new fan blade at Out of Doors. I'm guessing that it needs to be replaced from the outside top side. I don't see anyway to remove the bracket that the fan motor is mounted to in order to install from in side the MH. Any advice out there on the blade replacement?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
I have the same fan in my '82 28 foot Airstream MH. The fan blade exploded a while back. I bought a new fan blade at Out of Doors. I'm guessing that it needs to be replaced from the outside top side. I don't see anyway to remove the bracket that the fan motor is mounted to in order to install from in side the MH. Any advice out there on the blade replacement?
I don't think you have to do it from the outside. I will check it out. get back to you.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn

I don't think you have to do it from the outside. I will check it out. get back to you.
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
It's easy from the top. Remove the lid by unscrewing the two phillips screws holding it to the lifts, put it out of the way, remove the remains of the blade, put the new blade on the motor shaft by pressing it on, and reattach the lid.
Piece of pie. I mean cake...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It's easy from the top. Remove the lid by unscrewing the two phillips screws holding it to the lifts, put it out of the way, remove the remains of the blade, put the new blade on the motor shaft by pressing it on, and reattach the lid.
Piece of pie. I mean cake...
Great. Thanks.

Now I will make my first trip up to the roof. I'm really afraid of scratching or denting the aluminum. What do others do?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I use those foam insulation covers meant for protecting pipes from freezing. Just put them on the parts of the ladder that will be touching the AS. I use these because I always have them on hand. Earlier I would just wrap a soft cloth around the part of ladder that touches the AS.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
I use those foam insulation covers meant for protecting pipes from freezing. Just put them on the parts of the ladder that will be touching the AS. I use these because I always have them on hand. Earlier I would just wrap a soft cloth around the part of ladder that touches the AS.
Ricky
Me too.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Great. Thanks.

Now I will make my first trip up to the roof. I'm really afraid of scratching or denting the aluminum. What do others do?
I've noticed this before from other people, too. How many people are going to enter their Airstream in a Concourse event, where the judges are going to climb up on the roof to see if it's scratched?
Obviously, take reasonable precautions, but don't go overboard. I'd much rather get a couple of scratches on the roof than possibly go sliding off it because I was crawling around on a slippery towel. The stop at ground level really hurts. Ask how I know...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Here's the switch panel for the fan. Not sure how/where you'll want this panel when you install one but it's a consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream pick-up 062.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	125798  
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Has anybody actually cut the hole to install one of these fans. What would be the best location in the bathroom.Also have find a hot wire to connect to the fan.
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Haven't cut a hole yet, but we will this summer. I was going to buy a hole saw the right diameter - I'm guessing 6 1/4" without measuring the fan.

I would cut the hole as close to the center of the roof line as possible, or at least stay away from the sharper curves of the roof line. The flatter the roof where you cut the hole, the easier it will be to seal around the fan.

For power, you can probably tap off an existing roof vent or ceiling light fixture. You should be able to find a 12 VDC wire to splice into and run to your new fan location. You could try and run it above the ceiling, or you could install a small surface mount wire chase and run the wire in that. If you ran the wire chase next to some ceiling trim strips (if there are any), I bet it would blend in fairly well.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I've noticed this before from other people, too. How many people are going to enter their Airstream in a Concourse event, where the judges are going to climb up on the roof to see if it's scratched?
Obviously, take reasonable precautions, but don't go overboard. I'd much rather get a couple of scratches on the roof than possibly go sliding off it because I was crawling around on a slippery towel. The stop at ground level really hurts. Ask how I know...
But I was going to entire the 'ol gal in the concourse in Monterey next month!

Not really concerned about the top that can't be seen except for denting it. I could see a big dent in top from 2nd story house window so someone already messed it up. Lucky it can not be seen grime street level. More concerned about scratching and denting back side form the ladder. I love the idea of the pipe insulation.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC
Here's the switch panel for the fan. Not sure how/where you'll want this panel when you install one but it's a consideration.
I've got to get that double switch for fan and pump. Where can I get one of those? See pict for what I want to replace...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2701885657.png
Views:	129
Size:	852.0 KB
ID:	125819  
Old 03-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

I've got to get that double switch for fan and pump. Where can I get one of those? See pict for what I want to replace...
I'm reading this back and laughing and rolling my eyes! I absolutely hate this iPhone, it's "keyboard" and it's spell checker. Not really an Apple fan anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
64GlobeTrotter68Overlande

1964 19' Globetrotter
1969 27' Overlander
Snohomish , Washington
A fan I like and will be installing on ours is a matine fane that is solar powered. Solar powered exhaust ventilation during daylight - passive exhaust at night (700 ft³⁄hr.) No switches no wire

Marinco: MiniVent 1000 Stainless or white
https://www.airforums.com/attachment...ic34024_12.gif
man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote