Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Haven't cut a hole yet, but we will this summer. I was going to buy a hole saw the right diameter - I'm guessing 6 1/4" without measuring the fan.

I would cut the hole as close to the center of the roof line as possible, or at least stay away from the sharper curves of the roof line. The flatter the roof where you cut the hole, the easier it will be to seal around the fan.

For power, you can probably tap off an existing roof vent or ceiling light fixture. You should be able to find a 12 VDC wire to splice into and run to your new fan location. You could try and run it above the ceiling, or you could install a small surface mount wire chase and run the wire in that. If you ran the wire chase next to some ceiling trim strips (if there are any), I bet it would blend in fairly well.

Chris

Old 03-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I've noticed this before from other people, too. How many people are going to enter their Airstream in a Concourse event, where the judges are going to climb up on the roof to see if it's scratched?
Obviously, take reasonable precautions, but don't go overboard. I'd much rather get a couple of scratches on the roof than possibly go sliding off it because I was crawling around on a slippery towel. The stop at ground level really hurts. Ask how I know...
But I was going to entire the 'ol gal in the concourse in Monterey next month!

Not really concerned about the top that can't be seen except for denting it. I could see a big dent in top from 2nd story house window so someone already messed it up. Lucky it can not be seen grime street level. More concerned about scratching and denting back side form the ladder. I love the idea of the pipe insulation.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC
Here's the switch panel for the fan. Not sure how/where you'll want this panel when you install one but it's a consideration.
I've got to get that double switch for fan and pump. Where can I get one of those? See pict for what I want to replace...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2701885657.png
Views:	75
Size:	852.0 KB
ID:	125819  

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

I've got to get that double switch for fan and pump. Where can I get one of those? See pict for what I want to replace...
I'm reading this back and laughing and rolling my eyes! I absolutely hate this iPhone, it's "keyboard" and it's spell checker. Not really an Apple fan anyway.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
64 Globetrotter

1964 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
A fan I like and will be installing on ours is a matine fane that is solar powered. Solar powered exhaust ventilation during daylight - passive exhaust at night (700 ft³⁄hr.) No switches no wire

Marinco: MiniVent 1000 Stainless or white

man7sell is offline   Reply With Quote