Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
WI-78ArgMin6.7

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Franklin , Wisconsin
Argosy sun damage/fading

Hello to Everyone:
I purchase a '78 Argosy Minuet last week and now noticed that the previous owner did not have curtains for the front windows (shades for all other windows). This has caused some yellow fading on the speakers and plastic around the windows & I think the fronts of the top storage space. My questions are the following:
1. The plastic around the front windows has darken due to the sunlight and actually are falling apart when touched. Has anyone experienced the same problem? & if you have what is the solution. My quess would be to leave well enough alone & to do get curtains/shades for the front windows before anymore damage happens...what should I do around the windows with the plastic sunlight damage?
2. I see nice tracks for the potential curtains on all windows. Is there a contact to supply curtains for the front windows of the Argosy and possible the side windows?

Any advice/help is always appreciated!
Best Regards,
Bill

Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy sun damage/fading

Greetings Bill!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Minuet ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosyMinuet View Post
Hello to Everyone:
I purchase a '78 Argosy Minuet last week and now noticed that the previous owner did not have curtains for the front windows (shades for all other windows). This has caused some yellow fading on the speakers and plastic around the windows & I think the fronts of the top storage space. My questions are the following:

1. The plastic around the front windows has darken due to the sunlight and actually are falling apart when touched. Has anyone experienced the same problem? & if you have what is the solution. My quess would be to leave well enough alone & to do get curtains/shades for the front windows before anymore damage happens...what should I do around the windows with the plastic sunlight damage?
The plastic moldings around the front windows in the Argosy are virtually unobtainable from what I have been able to learn. Installation of a three-piece front window rock guard will greatly limit future sun exposure from those windows. The current three-piece Airstream fromt window rock guard will fit your coach, but the center section will need to be narrowed to fit your coach. There is a very good explanation of how to do this on the AirstreamCentral site that is a sister site to the Forums. It is possible to paint the plastic parts with the new paints designed for plastics if you would like to havea fresher appearance than the age-yellowed look of the current plastics.

There are a number of possible sources for draperies to fit your coach. It is still possible to order them through an Airstream dealer's parts department. There are also several vendors who offer drapes with two of the oldest being JP Ambruso Drapes. Another long-time supplier is Fowler RV Ineriors of Symsonia, Kentucky. Silver Threads is a Forums member who has also been offering custom drapes for Airstreams.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote