Old 11-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
1976 28' Argosy 28
Vancouver , Washington
I'm planning to put my 28' Argosy MH on a 2002 Freightliner MT 4500 chassis, any comments????
I bought the MH for $900 and it was pretty complete but completly ragged out. I'm in the process of gutting it right now and I have a few questions for the "seasoned" members here.
1. Do I lose any shell structural integerity when the inside skin is removed?
2. About how much does the shell with windows installed weigh?
3. What is the best way to lift it?
4. Should I brace it in any way on the inside before I attempt this?
5. Why did they use 1/2" plywood on the floor?
Believe me I wouldn't attempt this unless it was completely necessary. The frame and bottom side are bad rusty, the original plan was to install a 5.9 Cunnins / Allison in the Chevy frame but it's nor rated for the extra weight and it's too rusty to use. The Freightliner chassis has a straight axle in the front. Anyone else attempted this? Advise would be appreciated..... Thanks! Oh and is anyone looking for anything special that I may have that came out of the inside? I'm junking it all......

Larry Olson
360-901-2714

Old 11-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDollar View Post
1. Do I lose any shell structural integerity when the inside skin is removed?
2. About how much does the shell with windows installed weigh?
3. What is the best way to lift it?
4. Should I brace it in any way on the inside before I attempt this?
5. Why did they use 1/2" plywood on the floor?
Larry,

#1. Yes, the inner and outer skin BOTH have an effect on the shell integrity.
#2. No Clue
#3. With cross members thru windows that will stick out both sides so you are lifting all over with the bracing. If you lift form the bottom, you will damage the lower edge.
#4. You need to brace it across the bottom and X brace it in the middle as well. Depending on length you ant to brace it every 6-8 feet.
$5. The floor material is the same as the floor material in the trailers of the era. the Motor home shell is the same as a trailer with one end replaces with the motor home nose. If they used a different floor material they would have had to change the methods of manufacture.

This is also why the P-30 Chassis was used. They needed one that was "skinny" enough to fit under the shell.

The straight axle in front is not an issue as long as the wheels will have clearance, etc. My 76 Argosy had a solid font axle....

What year are you gutting, I may have a use for some parts....

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
1976 28' Argosy 28
Vancouver , Washington
It's a 1976 28' twin and my 1975 Overlander has 3/4" plywood on the floor. Anyway let me know what you want and I'll see if I still have it. Have you seen any pictures anywhere of a shell being taken off? I would be more than interested in seeing them......
BTW has anyone else done any mods to the refrigerator access door to cure the road grime / water issue? I was thinking about an inlet vent on the floor and getting rid of the louvers in the door just like my trailer has. It seems to be a problem on ALL of the MH's of this era I've seen. Thanks

Larry
Old 11-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Have you seen any pictures anywhere of a shell being taken off? I would be more than interested in seeing them......
We had a member that did this, he did a 74 Argosy MH.... His pictures are lost in upgradeland.

Quote:
BTW has anyone else done any mods to the refrigerator access door to cure the road grime / water issue? I was thinking about an inlet vent on the floor and getting rid of the louvers in the door just like my trailer has. It seems to be a problem on ALL of the MH's of this era I've seen. Thanks
I have considered doing this as well, but I think I would end up with more waer and grime from a floor vent like the trailer had. What about an additional baffle, solid aluminum that funnels water and grime back into the bottom of the louvered door...
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Silverdollar, have you checked out he video on utube?

This thread just next door should shed some light on the job ahead of you.

Looks like the floor goes down first and the shell then is attached to it.

Have a look... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ube-46363.html

Big job for certain.

Please for all our benefit take and post photos on a thread of your own! This is very interesting.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
1976 28' Argosy 28
Vancouver , Washington
A big job indeed!! Nice video too! I guess the guys in the video must have assembled my MH back in the day. I've found lots of "factory" quality issues that will need addressing before I remove the shell. From what I gather after reading some similar posts I'm not the only one that is missing complete rib sections and have structural looseness and damage as a result. Anyway I'll try to post a picture here and see what happens. This project is going to take me years to complete so be patient as I am........

I've started a new thread for the restoration and rebuilding.....

Couldn't resist taking a picture of my furry hitchhikers.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6308.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	72168   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6339.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	72169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6343.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	72170   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6380.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	72171  

Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Gee, I wonder where that dead mouse came from......

Kinda makes you wonder what else you're going to find once you really get into the tear out.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lexington , Kentucky
George, can we discuss your subject on the 700R4. I have been goign back and forth on the idea of 700R4 or Gear Vendors. I would like to go 700R4 but keep hearing, it will not hold up. Yet, its being done for very powerful hot rods all the time. I think I even had a 700R4 in one of my Corvettes. The 700R4 monster upgrade kit looks great but at a very expensive price. I bet you know exactly what and how it needs to be done
Old 05-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyork40 View Post
George, can we discuss your subject on the 700R4. I have been goign back and forth on the idea of 700R4 or Gear Vendors. I would like to go 700R4 but keep hearing, it will not hold up. Yet, its being done for very powerful hot rods all the time. I think I even had a 700R4 in one of my Corvettes. The 700R4 monster upgrade kit looks great but at a very expensive price. I bet you know exactly what and how it needs to be done
Well it's been 9-maybe 10 years since I've been active on this forum.
@ my age I'm lucky to remember what I've had for breakfast!
But I will try.
The 700R4 works well and will hold up if you don't pull a heavy trailer with full throttle starts.
I put in a beast sunshell, kevlar band & clutches, 'Vette servo.
use an '88 89 trans if you can as the earlier ones had a few drawbacks.
put on a deep pan and use a cooler.
As far as holding up ya they are ok.
The best was the 4L80E as they were basically a turbo 400 with overdrive.
I do like the 700R4's low gear, as it will give you a good hole shot with a #10,000 load.
yer not gonna get 20 MPG you will pick up 3-6 average, with no headwind.
You will have to slide the rear cross member back a few inches IIRR.
and I engaged the torque converter lock up with a vacuum/electric switch, and shorten the driveshaft a bit, but it has been too long to remember.

I still like the good old days when we had simple carburetors and no friggin computer controls, but life & rules roll on.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Lexington , Kentucky
What did you do for a parking brake. The orignal TH475 / TH400 has a drum brake assembly on the tail of the trans. Were you able to bolt that parking brake onto the 700R4 ? Or did you have to do something else ? Did you have to shorten your driveshaft ? Can you recommend a good supplier of the rebuilt kits, Kevlar clutches, ect.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Well it's been 9-maybe 10 years since I've been active on this forum.
@ my age I'm lucky to remember what I've had for breakfast!
But I will try.
The 700R4 works well and will hold up if you don't pull a heavy trailer with full throttle starts.
I put in a beast sunshell, kevlar band & clutches, 'Vette servo.
use an '88 89 trans if you can as the earlier ones had a few drawbacks.
put on a deep pan and use a cooler.
As far as holding up ya they are ok.
The best was the 4L80E as they were basically a turbo 400 with overdrive.
I do like the 700R4's low gear, as it will give you a good hole shot with a #10,000 load.
yer not gonna get 20 MPG you will pick up 3-6 average, with no headwind.
You will have to slide the rear cross member back a few inches IIRR.
and I engaged the torque converter lock up with a vacuum/electric switch, and shorten the driveshaft a bit, but it has been too long to remember.

I still like the good old days when we had simple carburetors and no friggin computer controls, but life & rules roll on.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

No parking brake on the trans, it uses the shoes on the rear brakes like a 1 ton truck.
Too long ago to remember suppliers or what I did.
It would be like remembering where and what I bought for groceries 10 years ago.
several transmissions were done in that time frame.
I didn't shorten my shaft but you will.
a speedo gear change will be needed, as well as a delayed shift provided by a bit stiffer TV pressure valve/spring. other modifications I've forgotten I'm sure, as well as other mods/tricks for longevity, and shift feel.
I'm past 70 and memory is spotty.
Sorry I can't help more