Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Argosy Motorhome door lock question

We have a 1978 24' Argosy Motorhome with the original door handle/lock that has given us problems over the years. Not sure of the model, but assume it's a Bargman L-300. The most current ongoing issue is that to properly close the door, or open it from the outside, we need to push on the door with one hand while pulling back on the handle with the other. Husband has recently taken the lock out to clean and check for lose parts and found that there is a groove that runs along the width of the bolting mechanism/shaft. He thinks that the groove was created from friction and wasn't there originally. But it looks to be too uniform for that so another option is that a previous owner long ago put the groove there or it was always there. I've attached a couple of pictures. Can anyone let us know if that groove is supposed to be there? If you could take a look at yours (it's visible without removal) and let us know, it would be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striker-face.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	182005   Click image for larger version

Name:	striker-edge.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	182006  

Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Interesting. I had wear on mine, but not like that. I took apart mine and had the worn material welded back on. I then ground and filled it until it resembled a wedge. I reinstalled it along with new weather-stripping and three door closes quite tightly now.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Interesting. I had wear on mine, but not like that. I took apart mine and had the worn material welded back on. I then ground and filled it until it resembled a wedge. I reinstalled it along with new weather-stripping and three door closes quite tightly now.
Welding and then grinding is what we had planned too, but I thought I'd check here to make sure the groove isn't supposed to be there. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Welding and then grinding is what we had planned too, but I thought I'd check here to make sure the groove isn't supposed to be there. Thanks!
The grooves are an absolute NO NO.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The grooves are an absolute NO NO.

Andy
Ok, no groove. That can be weld-filled in. I should have asked this question also: Should the bolt part then be flat the entire length? i.e. ours is stepped down beyond the groove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	striker - Copy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	182125  
Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
That's how I did mine... Flat. In the end, it took some tuning and additional grinding from the first shot. I found too that I added too much to the tip. I had to grind that down in order to make it open right. I was lucky. It was a warm day and I had left some windows open from previous work because I had to crawl inside through a window to lean on the door to make it open!
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
It was a warm day and I had left some windows open from previous work because I had to crawl inside through a window to lean on the door to make it open!
Thanks for the heads up (in addition to the reply about grinding the piece flat). I'll make sure we leave one of the front sliders open so I can crawl back in if comes to that.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Belle, you could leave the rear escape window open. I believe it would be easier to crawl through that window than a side slider!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote