Old 10-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Argosy lower front valance repairs

The goal of this thread is to document the repair of the ABS lower front valance on my 74 Argosy in the hopes that it can then be used to have a mold made so Martin and others if needed can have a replacement valance made for their coaches.

Martin's Argosy did not have a lower valance when he bought it and mine is in desperate need of repair so we're going to team up with the end goal of having a re-usable mold made.

If you're not familiar with Martin's rebuild thread you can find it here and my rebuild thread is here.

I'll start adding pictures and details in the coming days so stay tuned....

Brad

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
This will be fun and educational to watch Brad, thanks for taking the time to document and share it here.

Mike

Old 10-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Mike, I certainly hope it turns out that way! I have talents in some areas but it remains to be seen if one of those areas is in repairing ABS plastic!

From what I can see ABS plastic is easier to flex and move around which makes it easier to fit to the Argosy body. I believe fiberglass is more rigid which would make it harder to fit if it's not shaped just right. I think any mold that gets built is going to have to be pretty much spot on, at least in areas where it contacts the aluminum skin of the shell. If I'm not mistaken I think the mold, even though it is probably going to be 2 or 3 pieces, is still going to have to be one complete unit when the actual glass is being laid in place. I think that's the only way to guarantee the proper fit.

I think Martin and I will have to do a bunch of measurement comparisons to ensure the end product will work on both.

We'll see!

Brad
Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
Austin , Texas
ok, bring the popcorn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petercliff.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	249522  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I get ya Brad. Youll have to make sure that the ABS is braced in such a manner that it true to form when you make the mold. Also, the bracing will need to be so it doesnt hinder the mold making process. Should be interesting. Hope your buddy is able to come through for ya and is interested in helping out. Sounds like two sets of hands might be beneficial during the process
Old 10-03-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Thanks for this Brad, much appreciated.

I just popped outside to take some photos - but apologies, Fall has arrived in NE along with wind and rain so the quality isn't great. On mine the rivet line attaching the valance sits behind a length of mid-line trim. On the drivers side the valance had snapped off leaving a small section attached and I had started under the wrong impression that the valance was three parts like the face lift models.

On the passenger side it is missing totally, but you can see that the the rivet line would be along the edge of the aluminum quarter, then attached to the ABS grille along the front.

Means there is a little 'wiggle room'as the aluminum front quarter flexes and so does the grille...actually the belt-line extrusion seems to be what gives rigidity.

I'm more than happy to take any measurements/templates that I can.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
My lower belt line is not on at this time, actually it's never been on as long as I've owned the Argosy. Whoever pulled the motor removed and stored it inside the coach. I guess I'm fortunate they didn't just throw it away.

I may have to temporarily install my lower belt line to make sure the shape is right. I do believe I'm going to be pretty busy this winter!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

killeen , Texas
Wouldn't it be better to find a unit with an existing intact valance and copy that?

Or are intact units that rare?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Intact valances might be out there on a coach somewhere but asking someone to remove it to have a mold made would in my opinion be asking for a lot. A lot of rivets have to be drilled out, trim and molding removed along with the bumper.

I'm pretty sure if mine wasn't busted pretty good in places I would have probably tried to fix it in situ. The fact that removing mine and trying to have a mold made for Martin is icing on the cake in my opinion
Old 10-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Just a quick note to let ya'll know that progress on the valance to this point has been non existent. I think I've mentioned in either Martin's thread or mine that I had a friend who was planning to move to Kentucky close to where I live. The friend has made fiberglass molds before and I've talked to him about making a mold and he's interested.

The issue at the moment is the house that he purchased needs a LOT more work than either of us anticipated. I looked the house over as best I could before the purchase but there is only so much that could be seen. The house is a bank foreclosure and was sitting vacant for over four years.

As we started making the repairs that we knew were needed we started uncovering more and more damage to the outer sills and floor joists. So much so that we ended up having to replace all of the floor joists on the back side of the house (40 feet) and all of the sill plates, etc.

As you can see in the picture below there is a lot involved in replacing floor joists and sills

Name:	back-of-house.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	250649

As it stands right now the back side of the house is pretty much buttoned up but all of the floors in the back half now need to be replaced. To make matters worse the house was not winterized after the foreclosure so we had to deal with six burst pipes and leaks in all of the faucets.

The icing on the cake was the house electricals. When they took possession of the house and had the electricity turned on only one room had power to the outlets. I looked at a couple of the non-functioning outlets and found the outlets were the style where you could push the wires in from the back side (I hate that style of outlet!) so I made the assumption that some of the outlets had poor connections at the push in connection. So, I replaced every outlet and added pigtails in the outlet boxes so it was done the right way. Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem of now power to the rest of the house.

I decided to climb up into the attic to see what I could find up there. This is what I found

Name:	cut-romex.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	250650

Someone decided they needed some of the romex cables for themselves. At first I thought it was thieves looking for copper. However after looking closer I realized they only took the long runs of 12/2 copper cables. They left the 6/3 range cable (40'), the 8/3 dryer cable (40') and several other 10/2 cables. None of the romex cables were stapled down along the top of the joists, they were just strung from one point to the other. Typical 60s/70s construction. Not being stapled to the joists made it easy for the thief to get what he wanted.

So for the past two weeks I've spent a lot of time helping out trying to get the house livable. I spent yesterday in the attic and got about 5 of the 10 circuits rewired. Overall I've spent about seven full days helping in the last two weeks. I'm figuring it's going to take another two to three weeks to get the house in a reasonable live in condition. Right now they are living in the one room that has electricity.

Needless to say I feel getting the house livable for them is more important than working on the valance. Hopefully in a few weeks I can get back to working on the Argosy and the valance.

Sorry for the delay

Brad
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Replacing the sill plates and the joists...............YUCK, DOUBLE YUCK. You sir are a good friend to help with that nasty job.

Mike
Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I hate crawl spaces and attics, both of which I seem to be seeing a lot of lately!

The good news is the foundation is solid and everything above the rotted out joists seems to be in good shape. Once they joists and floors are brought up to spec and the electrical is wrapped up the place will make a nice home.

The bonus for buying the property was the over sized four stall garage with high ceilings. He has a ready place to work once he gets into the automotive restoration work that he wants to do.

Brad
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas

Just put mine back on. It was cracked in many places. The ABS is to thin and old. If you repair in before installation it will break. I used some plastic with glue on the back side.. Bondo on the top. It still cracked once installed. Very thin. to big to 3D print.. Maybe in section though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
The goal of this thread is to document the repair of the ABS lower front valance on my 74 Argosy in the hopes that it can then be used to have a mold made so Martin and others if needed can have a replacement valance made for their coaches.

Martin's Argosy did not have a lower valance when he bought it and mine is in desperate need of repair so we're going to team up with the end goal of having a re-usable mold made.

If you're not familiar with Martin's rebuild thread you can find it here and my rebuild thread is here.

I'll start adding pictures and details in the coming days so stay tuned....

Brad
Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #14
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The issue is the originals are made using thermoforming