Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bielefeld , NRW
Argosy Engine swap

I would like to puchase a 78 Argosy with a v8 petrol engine in it , but would like to convert to diesel, by fitting a Isuzu 280 TD motor , has any one on the forum done this ? And is there a kit I can buy to do the conversion , hope you can help thank you Harry

Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
The Airstream motorhomes HAD an Isuzu diesel in them back in the early 80's, here in the States. From what I have learned through the forum, Airstream used the Chevy P30 chassis and fabricated everything else to get the diesel into the chassis. Believe I've read that in order to have the engine turbo-charged, Airstream even went so far to do that to the Isuzu as well.
So, if you're able to locate an older diesel Airstream that's being parted out, sure you might be able to get some of the parts required. Maybe even locate parts online. No idea where to start to be honest, but do know that you're definitely in the right place (Airforums.com) to find out what you need. Have you read through the moho engine forum yet? May be able to find out exactly what you need there.
In fact, this thread may be better off in the Engine section of the motorhome forum.
Thanks, Derek

Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemergb View Post
I would like to purchase a 78 Argosy with a v8 petrol engine in it , but would like to convert to diesel, by fitting a Isuzu 280 TD motor , has any one on the forum done this ? And is there a kit I can buy to do the conversion , hope you can help thank you Harry
What you are proposing is possible but the Isuzu is an obsolete engine that hasn't been built for years. I would look for a more up to date in line 4 or 6 cylinder turbo diesel mated to an auto trans. The Ford Power stroke V8 and Chev Duramax V8 are wide and create problems fitting between the frame rails and under the coach floor. What ever you choose you will have to fabricate the mounts, exhaust and linkage as over the counter kits don't exist. Choosing an in line engine with a mated trans will eliminate many problems.

Also look at engine RPMs, most diesels don't turn as fast as the petro V8 and you may need an overdrive trans to make a decent road speed.

Good luck, Dan
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I put a 5.9L cummins in my 82 Airtsream, I replaced a Isuzu diesel. If you do a job like I did. I got the dodge truck an I had to use some parts of of the frame. It was a bid job, But I had fun doing it.