Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Question Argosy brakes

Hello every one
I have a 1977 24 ft argosy motor home that I am having brake problems with..Ther brake pedal goes half way to the floor before the brakes start to work.then you have to press real hard to stop it..I have replaced the hydroboost unit ,replaced the rubber brake hoses,and the master cylinder.only with a small bit of improvement.the hydroboost runs off the power steering.no problem with the power steering. Any ideas?
Thanks
bobchevy89
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Air??

I haven't played around with brakes for a long time but...
I did mess with a couple of vehicles with hydrovac type systems and the ONLY way I could ever get them to bleed out properly was to power bleed them.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
My thoughts exactly, Ultradog. I'm no mechanic but you have to be absolutely and positively sure there isn't any air in all your brakelines. Good luck and good hunting!
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kingston , Ontario CANADA
Send a message via Yahoo to vette59jdwl
Argosy Brakes

I agree totally you have air in the lines I have thought of the power bleed ,but there is a simpler way ,open your master cylinder up check the level if down fill DONT FORGET TO PUT THE TOP BACK ON NOT TIGHT JUST ON ,go to the farthest bleeder screw it is located behind the backing plate where the brake cylinder is it is the highest point on that brake shoe crack the bleeder open untIl you see fluid coming out use a trouble light DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKE BEDAL AT ANY TIME WHEN THIS IS OPEN Put down some cardboard so you can see when this is leeking or dripping. Go back to the master cylinder every ten minutes to see if it is going down if it is shut the bleeder screw refill the master and move on to the next farthest brake cylinder and repeat let sit for 12 hours tighten everything up refill master and start engine. Do a brake check do not at any time stab the brake peddal.AT NO TIME SHOULD THE FLUID BE ALOWED TO REACH THE BOTTOM OF THE MASTER CYLINDER OR YOU WILL HAVE TO REPEAT THE WHOLE PROCESS .Start with the farthest brake cylinder usually passenger side rear then drivers side rear then front passengers side then drivers front side.

ITS YOUR DREAM HAVE IT ANY WAY YOU WANT
vette59jdwl is offline   Reply With Quote