Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Argosy belt line/rub rail end caps

Anyone have a source for the belt line and rub rail end caps for a 74 Argosy MH?

The rails are 1-1/4" wide and use the 1/2" belt material.

All of the end caps have been removed from my Argosy and it definitely looks tacky

I've checked with the usual sources, Out of Doors Mart, Vintage Trailer Supply and InlandRV and none of them seem to have them available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Brad: My '74 20' Argosy Trailer had no end caps on the belt line material. It just ended. Maybe that is the way the '74 MH's were done.

The '75 Argosy 22' I just sold had small aluminum pieces at the ends of the belts, held on by pop rivets, painted to match the belt line color. So there was a change. I had a '78 Argosy 28' MH and it also had the painted, pop riveted pieces at the ends of the belts. If you could find one, you could make your own fairly easily. Be aware though, the plastic belt moves a lot, and will rip itself out of the riveted on belt ends with temp changes. If you put it in on a hot day, when it cools down it will shrink and pull out.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Brad: My '74 20' Argosy Trailer had no end caps on the belt line material. It just ended. Maybe that is the way the '74 MH's were done.

The '75 Argosy 22' I just sold had small aluminum pieces at the ends of the belts, held on by pop rivets, painted to match the belt line color. So there was a change. I had a '78 Argosy 28' MH and it also had the painted, pop riveted pieces at the ends of the belts. If you could find one, you could make your own fairly easily. Be aware though, the plastic belt moves a lot, and will rip itself out of the riveted on belt ends with temp changes. If you put it in on a hot day, when it cools down it will shrink and pull out.
Interesting. I didn't look at every end of each belt line but the ones I looked at appeared to have a tall screw (or tall rivet, hey it was dark when I looked!) in a spot where I would have expected a hole to be for an end cap.

I'll have to get some pictures this evening and post them. It is interesting that the 74s didn't use end caps.

Since my Argosy doesn't have any of the belt line material installed it's hard to say whether I would like the look better without the end caps

Thanks or the info!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
idroba,

I'm beginning to think my 74 Argosy had end caps on the rub & belt line rails. Here is a picture of the back of the motorhome where the generator compartment is. The picture is of the generator access hatch. The hatch has end caps and the rail that mates with it has markings that appear to have been made by an end cap. Several other rails have these same shadows.

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-belt-line-end-cap.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	170123

Since I have an example of an end cap I may look into what it would cost to have some fabricated. This isn't a priority project for me so I don't know what I will get to it but one of these days...

Brad