Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Adventures of Brett and Edie Part I

This severe case of Aluminitus begins with Brett submitting the bid on a 1978 Argosy 28' motorhome on ebay (1978 28 C on my site). The motorhome is in Washington State and they live in Tampa, FL. (aka 'thenewkid64')

Edie flew out last week and on Friday (while the Forums was down) I received the initial report (from Edie via Brett).
Gen Set - working!
Fridge - working!
Roof air (Armstrong) - working!
Drives fine according to Edie.
A little dirtier than the photos but exterior still in good shape.

Rear sleeping area has both the booth cushions AND a custom mattress for the entire space.

Brett flew out Friday and Edie is driving the MH to the airport to pick him up. They were scheduled to begin the drive back to Tampa today (Sunday 6/15).

Edie did find out more background information. The family that donated the unit for the charity auction is well respected in the community. The owner (no longer able to use it) actually cried when he delivered the unit for auction. It just breaks your hear to hear that but this unit is going to GREAT hands and it will be well taken care of! How many of us would cry if we had to give up our units? Count me in that group! What a testament to Argosy and Airstream that a 25 year old motor home brings up such emotion!

They are planning on going through Texas and then I-10 through my home town of Tallahassee. He is going to call me when he is close so we can meet him off the highway and see their new baby!

To quote Brett "It's all about the vista views!"
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Well done Guys...

Hi Edie & Brett...
Good 4 U, sure wish Mark an Myself were able 2do the trip with U, it sounded great...hope all works out 4 U both, Mark is not too good at the moment, he got attacked in our local town by some asians, and they stole his mobile fone, wallet, watch an his trainers...then gave him a good kicking, he had 2go 2the hospital...luckily the police have got it taped off the "street cameras"...How low can U get, picking on a disabled Lad...
The police say they may do time 4it, I said give me ten minutes with each of them...however....
all the best...Chris 'n Mark.....
Old 06-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Here's the latest... Monday 6:18 pm et

Brett had to bypass the heater core.

They made it to Idaho and the transmission started to go. They lost 3rd then 2nd. They still have 1st and reverse. Brett changed out the modulator and is taking it for a test drive as I write this!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Here's the latest, the regulator didn't work and they are now seeking a transission shop. They are requesing FrankR's assistance. We already have been told to "Visit Idaho, the people are great." I guess Brett will find out if the transmission places are great also!

For those tracking on a map, they are near Malta, Idaho.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:43 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm so sad to hear that! I've been Brett & Edie's contact out on this end. Helped them arrange stuff out here and had a nice dinner and visit with them the night Brett got into town. Wouldn't have guessed the tranny was the thing that would give them trouble. Edie was driving it all over Vancouver while she was prepping it to go. Nice big rig, I was pretty impressed with it. Well, I guess that's just part of the big adventure of getting it home! Can't wait to hear the next report. Wish them luck from us when you hear from them!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Fred, I am camping at 10k' outside of Silverton Colorado. Maybe I can see them if I drive a little higher.
Talking about driving a little higher, never would have made it up those 10600 passes, without the secondary electric fuel pump in the rear. She started to choke hard when I remembered my switch. From then on it was easy, except the loose brake line on the way down.
Wish Brett and Edie all the best from us.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
hope all works out for Brett and Edie, quite an adventure!!
Peter--switch what switch??
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Fred, I am camping at 10k' outside of Silverton Colorado.
That is not too bad with a big old MH. I remember barely making it in 2nd gear and watching the black smoke pour out of the exhaust with a 70's 350 pickup, empty.

Brett's trip doesn't sound like much more fun than he had last time. I'll be crossing my fingers for him.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Tuesday 6/17 6:20 p.m.

The transmission was fixed today. All it needed was a $50 governer.

They are currently at a mountain summit (7,000 ft) near Salt Lake City. The Camping World in Salt Lake did not have the rear air bags they needed. They stockedp on some supplies and continued on.

They did have some engine hestitation. Brett swapped the fuel filter...nope. Cleaned the carb with some spray....nope. Changed the air filter....bingo! Engine running cool (new radiator).

Brett gave a big thanks for FrankR for the help. They also passed along thanks to Stephanie for the hospitality and assistance!

Heading towards Denver!

PETER: I did mention to him your switch and the electric pump. Brett said he has an electric fuel pump but that his fuel tank is in the front under the sofa.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Cool Forget the Basher.....

A good name for this MH is "Rocky"! Just when you think it's down for the count, it comes back fighting!

"Wildly popular, widely appealing, redemptive "Cinderella" tale about working-class boxer yearning for success. Still provides great satisfaction for drama lovers seeking gritty character portraits, and sports lovers desiring uplifting adrenaline rush. "
Old 06-17-2003, 09:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Have no idea who Brett and Edie are but man am I pulling for them!! What an ordeal, good to know they are back on the road.

If they are heading thru Texas and need any help have them look me up!

Chas

(OK, newsflash, Brett is newkid??, thought he already had a MH?)
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Brett (aka Moderator "thenewkid64") does have a 1976 Argosy 26' MH. They were never really happy with the floorplan. He won this 1978 28' unit with rear bedroom on ebay. Problem was that the unit was in Washington State and he lived in Tampa, FL.

Pretty brave folks taking a new-to-them 25 year old MH across country like that!
Old 06-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Unhappy Ah schucks!

Sorry guys! Somehow I missed this thread...would have loved to hook-up with Brett & Edie here in Denver! Bummer...

Safe travels for the remainder of your trip home ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:34 PM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985air345
Tuesday 6/17 6:20 p.m.

PETER: I did mention to him your switch and the electric pump. Brett said he has an electric fuel pump but that his fuel tank is in the front under the sofa.
I don't think it matters where the fuel tank is, the amount of fuel needed to make it up those hills is the problem.
I would have been toast without the secondary electric fuel pump.
The Jacobs electronic ignition is truly awesome for mountain driving.
Alan, the switch is for the electric fuel pump I mounted at the rear.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Wednesday 7:12 p.m. et

They made it to Cheyenne without any more trouble. Brett did buy a new muffler for the gen set since the existing one was old and got crushed sometime during the transmission issue. He needed Midas to get the old one off.

Gen set will be critical for the southern part of the trip home.

On to Denver and Dallas. Rear air bags in Dallas for the trip through Louisiana.

"Rocky" always comes through in end!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
wow! quite a trip, hope the rest of it is uneventfull.
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Thursday 5:30pm et

"Rocky" has made it into Kansas and will be heading south towards Dallas shortly! No more issues although Brett did install a new cruise control. He is happy with the additional guages. He is trying not to pay attention to all the gas receipts he is accumulating! He has been watching the "Fuel Economy" gauge. Maybe they should have made that "Lack of Fuel Economy" guage!

They indicated that they would name thier unit AFTER the trip to Tampa once they had a better clue for the personallity of the coach! "Rocky" is my nickname for the unit!
Old 06-20-2003, 07:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
They made it to Dallas because I called they they were havin' dinner with the family there! Looks like the initial bugs were worked out. Now just a (hopefully uneventful) two day trip home to Tampa! Of course I live just off their path and I hope to see their MH this weekend!
Old 06-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Woo-hoo! So glad to hear they made it. I knew that was 'the little Argosy that could'! Sounds like Brett's quite handy at fixing things up along the way as well, a critical skill to have on an adventure such as this.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Unhappy Sad news!

The MH I call "Rocky" had problems with the transmission governor AGAIN! Once that was fixed, Rocky developed engine trouble an hour out of Dallas. Brett will be flying home to Tampa on Sunday. Edie will be staying in Dallas with family while the MH engine gets looked at.

In other news, they do have a water leak as a good portion of their fresh water ended up inside the coach. This problem did not stop them from their trip but it will need to be fixed WHEN they get to Tampa!

In Rocky I, Apollo Creed won a tough fight via split decision! Rocky wins in Rocky II, III, IV, and V. Enough of the Rocky thing......I just hope they get home soon!