Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Brad,

I've been sitting on my hands about some of those prices. $193 to replace the oil pressure sender and $175 for the lower radiator hose come to mind.

I also agree with your general assessments and the priority of repairs.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
When I first got my mh took it to rv -mechanic shop. Thier price to Remove and replace engine and tranny with rebuilts was 8 to 10 thousand dollars. When I could breath again I told them to get my mh ready to go I put it in storage I had to wait a year but I found someplace I can work on it.Not sure how it will all happen but If I pay myself half of that money and use the other half for parts I think that is a better way to go and when you are done you know what you've got.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
I think you need at least one other shop to have a look, but I would agree that safety issues come first, and a lot of the engine and a/c stuff is over the top until you have a good idea that the rest of the coach is what you want. I have recently taken on an Airstream 310 and will be having some brake and cooling system work done this week not too far from Monterey (in Santa Cruz.) This shop was recommended to me, but we'll see if they have the right stuff. You might want to break things into phases and have one part of the work done first, then regroup and decide what of the next phase needs to be done. Rough idle won't kill you, bad brakes or leaking exhaust might.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Brad, thank you for your honest opinion. I also have to say that things just cost more around here in California, and especially Monterey. Also, I've got more than a full gov job - I ain't getting the big bucks, but I don't have all the time in the world. Finally, mechanics aren't my field and I with my two little boys in the MH I want to make sure the job is done right - at least the first time. I can learn to repair it once I know we're at least at square one.

Mr. Josephson, please give me your report of the Santa Cruz shop. You're right, it's only a 40 minute drive and I think I can make it up there. I probably will have the brakes done here and regroup. Then slowly fix everything else with at least another quote.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Don,

Brad is a straight shooter. He and Susan (Alumatube) lived very close to me untill recently and they are both good friends. He also knows CA, having spent time there recently before Richmond.

My mechanical experience was as a rebuilder of larger engines, (about 800 CID, natural gas and diesel), but it has been a few years. I just would like you to get the most for your money so you and your family can enjoy yourselves.

Once you have addressed the safety issues, why don't you do some short camping trips in your area to give yourself a better idea of the issues? You will then have some first hand experience.

Good luck, and keep us informed.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Yes, Brad is a straight shooter and has given me great advice since I bought the beast some months ago. There's as many problems inside as there are outside. I'd like to gut it and rebuild the interior how I think it should be. There's also no seats for the kids to sit on as we travel. So camping in it will have to wait until next year. I'm thinking of just getting the brakes done and then pulling back and work from the inside out. That way I can build up some money to get the mechanics finished. Maybe by then I'll have my confidence to tackle the mechanics on the beast. I want to thank everyone's input and support.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Best of luck Don,

That sounds like a good plan. Keep us informed on your progress.