Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Tennessee
'77 Argosy motorhome

Just wanted to thank everyone that helped me get the specs for the 77 28 ft Argosy I am having delivered form Orlando this Saturday ( cant wait to get it here). The hauler emailed me this post below so I thought I would pass it on. Notice how he recognized what a great group of people are here in the forums....
Thats a lot of info, seems like you have a helpful group of guys there!

The trailer I am hoping to use is a 36' trailer and about 3-4' of that is a dovetail at the back. The trailer is right at 7' wide between the fenders and 7'4" for the rest of it. The fenders are are 7-8" tall and only cover the tandem axles. Sounds like we should be good to go, you can post up the specs on the trailer if need be. It also has an open center, but the trailer is narrow enough that a golf cart will fully stradle the middle so I have no worries about the motorhome being too narrow.
mikecantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
So, Mike, How is the delivery coming along? I'm anxious to hear what you have found that is good and not so good about your new purchase. I'm also interested in how the delivery went. Until your post, I was unaware of this service. Sounds like a good deal for both you and the trucker. Let's see some pictures! Inquiring minds want to know.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Tennessee
Believe it or not,, IT IS HERE, The hauler from uship did a great job, I was amazed to see him bring it on here on a two car trailer pulling it with a 95 Suburban. I am happy with everything so far. There is a lot of work to do but I am looking forward to it. I dont have a lot of time but will have fun doing it as I can. The body is in really good shape but the paint is pealing on the top sides. I have already started stripping it some with airplane stripper. I have cleaned the inside somewhat but it needs a lot more work. The tires are all brand new , even the spare. The brakes are spongy but work well enough to ride it around the neighborhood. It runs great but I have to really pump the gas to start it then after it runs or drives a little while, the starter drags then picks up quickly and starts. I have not went through the different systems yet but for sure it needs new curtains ( I have emailed silver threads). Needs the seats reupholstered, some new window seals and paint. Oh also a generator and some exhaust work. and I am sure the list grow and grow. The thing is gray with a blue stipe, i am not sure of the original colors, the gray semms original but I think the strip is to bright of a blue(if it was blue originally) . Thanks everyone for the help, any advice is appreciated. I will post pictures soon. Also soes anyonw know where to get emblems for the Argosy. May have to have stickers made?....
Old 02-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Congrats to your new toy!

Check out my page, you might get a few tips for repairs..

The Airstream Projects

Enjoy!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Congrats on your new delivery. Lets get going on those pictures. I haven't quite made the commitment to put the money down on the Argosy 28 that is for sale in my town. The fact that everything is covered with ice at the moment has slowed me down. This has been a longgg cold winter. It's time to warm up and get camping. Keep us informed on your progress. I'm hoping to join in on the fun soon.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
If you haven't already, check out this URL for eBay and order an Argosy Motorhome Owner's Manual. I just received mine today and I couldn't be happier with it. It answers a lot of questions about what is where. One thing I didn't know about is the polarity light on the exterior left rear. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the forum. Interesting little light that apparently can be ignored. It is supposed to tell you if your electrical line is properly grounded with a two prong plug. It will glow if it isn't correct. However, if you use a three prong plug, it will glow anyway and can be ignored. Interesting. Anyway, here is the link: Hope it works!

1978 Argosy Motorhome Owners Manual Motor Home - eBay (item 260209683009 end time Feb-12-08 16:52:18 PST)

This is a link for the factory service manual for a 1979 airstream motorhome. Esentially the same vehicle. The link has expired but he posts new copies quite regularly. If he doesn't have a current listing, email him and he will tell you when he will have another copy available.
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=38023961&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item =260211963447
Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Tennessee
got a manual

Thanks for the tip on the manual but mine came with one. It has been very helpful. I think I will try to get a manual for a c30 truck as well.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecantrell
Thanks for the tip on the manual but mine came with one. It has been very helpful. I think I will try to get a manual for a c30 truck as well.
Good thinking. The chassis manuals have been very helpful for us with both of our previous SOBs and our current classic 310.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Hey Mike, How about some pictures of that motorhome! The Argosy Motorhome forum has been dead for awhile. Some new pictures might just fire it up a little. By now you either love it or hate it. Let's hear how it's going.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ditto .

Picturses would be great!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Tennessee
77Argosy

Hey everyone,,, sorry that I havent posted any pictures as yet,,, been a very busy time for me ( I have a tax prep and tax software buisness).... I have had some time to work on the motorhome a little,,, I have had my mom redo the seat covers for everything except the front seats so far... She is working on the curtains now and has some of them done already (( she is 86 years old and loves to help)... I have torn the carpet out and have cleaned a lot in the bathroom and bedroom... I also have purchase a used 4kw generator from a wrecked motorhome but have not installed it yet..looks like a lot of work... I am jsut doing things to it as I can afford to. The only problems I have found so far is a couple water line leaks when I turn on the water(minor) and the engine is hard to start if it has been setting for a few days, I think the diaphram in the carb is dried out.. also the biggest problem so far is the starter drags really bad when you try to start it after it has been funning a while.. Looks like the starter is new though,,, I have heard here on the forums that they get hot ..,, All in All , I really love it... I have started doing a little on the outside but not much... the inside is in really solid and in good shap except for the curtains and uphoulstery... I am now hooked on vintage campers though and catch myself spotting them everywhere.. I stoped at a 96 year old ladies house a couple days ago to ask about a travel trailer out back.... she said her husband and her bought it over 50 years ago new and it had been sitting in the same spot out back for at least 25 years.... it is a 1951 Sparnanette the best I can tell. I am trying to buy it,, should know soon.... Do you guys think 1500 is a fair price for it. the outside looks really good except for a couple dings and the inside looks pretty good except the floor.......

Hope I didnt ramble tooo much,, any advice is always appreciated.

Mike Cantrell
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yep, you've got the desease all right! Sounds like you picked up a pretty good motorhome in the Argosy.

Can't help with the vintage trailer value. Just remember after you get two it becomes real easy to justify the next one and the next one and the........

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Cleveland , Tennessee
You are so right,,, I forgot to mention that I bought a 85 toyota mini-cruiser in between. going to sell it though,,, like the aluminum tooooo much..