Old 06-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
1974 24' Argosy 24
Otter Rock , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to leeburstrogh
74 Argosy P30 Engine removal/replace

Just after I bought it, the oil pump went and then motor soon after.

The shop tells me that they have to build rails and take it out the back.. Give me a break.
I have seen someone take the front bumper off and it will fit out the front..
Also I have heard with the big lift and lift table ( which these folks have ) it will come out the bottom.

Will some one PLEASE shed some light on this for me. I have a new 454 to go in..

What is the best/easiest way, to get the 454 out of this P30 chasis, it does have that cross bar just under the oil pan, which I hear will be ok to take it out the bottom.

I saw at this post some one had a manual for doing this. If I could get that if anyone has it?

THANKS again for any help!

leeburstrogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky

The 74 to 76 Argosies are the hardest to get a motor out and back in. On the early Argosies the grille assembly is a large plastic section that is riveted in place. Check out my 74 rebuild thread for an idea as to what the front looks like without the grille.

With the grille out of the way it's not to hard to pull and replace the motor. If your shop has access to a high lift where they can remove the front suspension saddle then the motor can be dropped out the bottom. There is a caveat to that however. The transmission will need to be removed first and that has it's own issues. The transmission support saddle is bolted to the top and bottom of the chassis frame rails. The top bolts are not accessible to remove so you will have to torch the top bolts off to move the the support saddle out of the way. With the saddle out of the way the transmission can be dropped straight down.

With the transmission out of the way and the front suspension saddle out of the way the engine can move backwards slightly as it's being lowered.

If you do browse my rebuild thread towards the end you'll see where I removed the front suspension saddle for repairs and cleanup in that area.

By the way, welcome to Airforums!

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote