Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2017, 05:33 PM   #961
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
All you need is a seat and a steering wheel and I am sure you could drive out of there!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #962
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
All you need is a seat and a steering wheel and I am sure you could drive out of there!
Oh how I wish it was that easy!
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #963
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
This morning I did some fine tuning of the dash and the dash top fitment. Airstream did a lousy job of fitting them together originally so it's been a challenge to get things lined up to where the fit looks right but I think I've got it close enough. I can now pull the dash top back off for painting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radio-screen-extended2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	284432

I figured this would be a good time to see how the flip screen Jensen radio was going to fit. I was hoping the radio would be able to sit down flush with the dash but that's not going to be the case. I have to space the radio out about an 1" or so to get the screen to where it will flip open and not hit the top of the plastic dash.

Name:	74-argosy-radio-protrusion.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	284429Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radio-screen-extended.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	284430Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-radio-screen-extended1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	284431

I found a 25mm spacer on ebay so I ordered it and we'll see how well it fits.

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	284433

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #964
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I have to space the radio out about an 1" or so to get the screen to where it will flip open and not hit the top of the plastic dash.
Attachment 284429Attachment 284430Attachment 284431

I found a 25mm spacer on ebay so I ordered it and we'll see how well it fits.
Attachment 284433

Brad
screen tilt is adjustable, sorry for shitty format

VX7012
USING THE TFT MONITOR
Opening
/
Closing the TFT Monitor
Open the TFT Monitor
Press the OPEN button on the front panel to activate the mechanism that
moves the TFT screen into the viewing position.
Close the TFT Monitor
Press the OPEN button on the front panel to load the TFT screen back into the
compartment.
TFT Monitor Tilt Angle Adjustment
A known characteristic of TFT panels is that the quality of the display varies in
relationship to the viewing angle. To adjust the monitor angle for optimum
viewing:
Press and hold the OPEN button
(> 1 second) on the front panel.
To adjust the tilt of the display panel, turn the rotary volume (
) knob.
To store the new tilt setting, press and hold the OPEN button
again or let the feature time out after 5 seconds.
The rotary volume ( ) knob will
return to normal operation.

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #965
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
screen tilt is adjustable, sorry for shitty format

VX7012
USING THE TFT MONITOR
Opening
/
Closing the TFT Monitor
Open the TFT Monitor
Press the OPEN button on the front panel to activate the mechanism that
moves the TFT screen into the viewing position.
Close the TFT Monitor
Press the OPEN button on the front panel to load the TFT screen back into the
compartment.
TFT Monitor Tilt Angle Adjustment
A known characteristic of TFT panels is that the quality of the display varies in
relationship to the viewing angle. To adjust the monitor angle for optimum
viewing:
Press and hold the OPEN button
(> 1 second) on the front panel.
To adjust the tilt of the display panel, turn the rotary volume (
) knob.
To store the new tilt setting, press and hold the OPEN button
again or let the feature time out after 5 seconds.
The rotary volume ( ) knob will
return to normal operation.

Super!

Thanks Peter
Old 04-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #966
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Brad, check out this city Bus, Kreimer just found to be for sale. Those doors..
Perfect for you to shuttle between your house and shop
https://quincy.craigslist.org/rvs/6083572707.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ArgosyBus.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	284435  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #967
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Brad, check out this city Bus, Kreimer just found to be for sale. Those doors..
Perfect for you to shuttle between your house and shop
https://quincy.craigslist.org/rvs/6083572707.html
Hmm, seems to me this "bus" would be more useful to someone in Austin to shuttle his frequent Airstream visitors around...

It would be interesting to see the opening/closing mechanism inside the bus, I'll bet it's a real Rube Goldberg affair

Brad
Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #968
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Last night I took care of a problem that was present with the Argosy from the day it left the factory back in 74.

Airstream used a .100" aluminum top plate to seal off the top of the firewall out to the bottom edge of the windshield frame. Basically it's a large D shaped aluminum plate. The problem was how Airstream sealed the gaps between the aluminum plate, the coach walls and the firewall. If you look at the two pictures below you'll see the gaps I'm talking about.

Name:	lh-top-corner-gap.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	284586Click image for larger version

Name:	rh-top-corner-gap.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	284588

Those two corner gaps allowed air flowing in from the front grille to pass through into the under dash area and out into the cockpit. Probably wasn't bad when the weather was pleasant but I would imagine when it was really hot or really cold the passengers would notice the air flow

The patches that I installed aren't pretty but they should be effective. The drivers side was pretty easy. I just used a piece of 1/2" aluminum angle to cover the gap between the wall and the bottom of the top plate and then I smeared some Tempro 635 in the gap at the top. I then smeared the aluminum angle as well just for good measure

Name:	lh-top-corner-gap-2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	284587Click image for larger version

Name:	lh-top-corner-gap-1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	284589

The passenger side was more difficult and I had to fabricate a couple of really odd shaped pieces of aluminum to fill the gap. The two pieces are held in place with sheet metal screws and then the gaps were liberally smeared with Tempro.

Name:	rh-top-corner-gap-1.jpg
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	284590Click image for larger version

Name:	rh-top-corner-gap-2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	284591

Both the drivers and passenger side patches are covered by a couple of ABS trim pieces so you won't see the mess that I created

Brad
Old 05-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #969
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
So what is the black notched piece on top of the aluminum plate that follows the curve of the windshield? It looks like some part of the dash slips into it where it's folded over. Ive never taken a dash apart so looking at your work there is all new to me. Is that where the molded dash top slips into place?

That aluminum cross piece you made, and made that brushed finish, sure looks tops.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #970
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
So what is the black notched piece on top of the aluminum plate that follows the curve of the windshield? It looks like some part of the dash slips into it where it's folded over.
You are correct, it holds the leading edge of the dash top where it curves around the window.

Quote:
Ive never taken a dash apart so looking at your work there is all new to me. Is that where the molded dash top slips into place?
The 74-76 Argosy dashes are considerably different than the later dashes. Airstream did a much better job of sealing all the gaps and the fit looks better in the later coaches. With my Argosy being one of the earliest it's been pretty obvious where they struggled to get things to fit properly which in reality should be expected considering this was their first foray into the motorhome market.

Quote:
That aluminum cross piece you made, and made that brushed finish, sure looks tops.
Thanks!

When I removed that cross piece back in 2012 (or there a bouts) I was really concerned about what to do about refinishing it to make it look good. So I fretted for a lot of years because a bad looking dash would make the whole project look like crap! Dane's info on how to do the brushed look made all the difference in the world

Did you decide if you are going to switch to electric steps?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #971
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ive been looking at some parts Brad to convert the existing steps to electric. I don't think I posed that question in my thread very clearly. I'm kicking around the idea of engineering a method to use the existing step and linkage but converting it to electric rather than vacuum. Ive been looking at some inline actuators, limit switches, and wiring necessary to pull it off. Too much time on my hands as Bob said. . But I think it could be done without removing the existing step. We shall see where it goes. The limit switches may be the hardest part. Looks to me like there is a very large selection of inline actuators, different speeds and load capacities and lengths.

I got to tracing my vacuum line yesterday, from the alternator down to the steps. There is a "T" in the line, just a couple feet behind the alternator, that runs a smaller vacuum line over to a canister of some sort. Looks like about a 3" round and 3" tall. Vacuum line in and one coming out that runs over to the throttle cable area where it's folded up and capped off with a screw. I'm wondering if that canister was some type of accumulator associated with the original cruise control????????? Weren't some older cruise controls vacuum operated??? Anyway, its abandoned at this point.

That's about as far as Ive gotten with the idea so far.....Hehehehe...nowhere! Next step is to become very familiar with the existing wiring and get to know EXACTLY what's hot and what's not and when.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #972
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Ive been looking at some parts Brad to convert the existing steps to electric. I don't think I posed that question in my thread very clearly. I'm kicking around the idea of engineering a method to use the existing step and linkage but converting it to electric rather than vacuum. Ive been looking at some inline actuators, limit switches, and wiring necessary to pull it off. Too much time on my hands as Bob said. . But I think it could be done without removing the existing step. We shall see where it goes. The limit switches may be the hardest part. Looks to me like there is a very large selection of inline actuators, different speeds and load capacities and lengths.
There's something to be said for having time on your hands for projects like this

Limit switches shouldn't be difficult at all. Better yet you should look into prox switches. I'm going to use a prox switch to activate a light on the dash telling me when the steps are retracted. If it was me and I had the time converting steps to electric would be a fun project.

Quote:
I got to tracing my vacuum line yesterday, from the alternator down to the steps. There is a "T" in the line, just a couple feet behind the alternator, that runs a smaller vacuum line over to a canister of some sort. Looks like about a 3" round and 3" tall. Vacuum line in and one coming out that runs over to the throttle cable area where it's folded up and capped off with a screw. I'm wondering if that canister was some type of accumulator associated with the original cruise control????????? Weren't some older cruise controls vacuum operated??? Anyway, its abandoned at this point.
That ball is a vacuum reservoir and it was used as part of the cruise control. You're correct the early cruise controls used a vacuum servo instead of an electronic servo like you have with the Rostra. What you should do is eliminate the vacuum canister and the associated hoses. Less trouble down the road.

Quote:
That's about as far as Ive gotten with the idea so far.....Hehehehe...nowhere! Next step is to become very familiar with the existing wiring and get to know EXACTLY what's hot and what's not and when.
The life of a retiree, must be nice

That's good plan to become familiar with your wiring. Someday it will pay dividends!

Brad
Old 05-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #973
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
And I need to look at switches that reverse polarity, do you know what those are called? I'm going to have to google a "prox switch"....prox as in proximity? As in position? Position of steps?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #974
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
And I need to look at switches that reverse polarity, do you know what those are called?
I'm not sure what you're getting at for reverse polarity. There are mechanical limit switches and prox switches that are configured as normally open or you get them configured as normally closed.

Quote:
I'm going to have to google a "prox switch"....prox as in proximity? As in position? Position of steps?
Yes, proximity, they sense an object without actually touching them.

I'm using this prox sensor coupled with a small light in series that will sense when the steps are in the retracted position.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #975
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at for reverse polarity. There are mechanical limit switches and prox switches that are configured as normally open or you get them configured as normally closed.

Yes, proximity, they sense an object without actually touching them.

I'm using this prox sensor coupled with a small light in series that will sense when the steps are in the retracted position.
Some of these electric linear actuators extend or contract by reversing polarity. From what Ive read, there is some type of switch that will do that. I just don't know the name of the switch and thought you might......BECAUSE YOU SEEM TO KNOW EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! Some of them have built in limit switches, and looks like some have built in prox switches. Ive obviously a lot of reading to do.
But, I'm gonna play with it a bit and see if its feasible.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #976
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Some of these electric linear actuators extend or contract by reversing polarity. From what Ive read, there is some type of switch that will do that. I just don't know the name of the switch and thought you might......BECAUSE YOU SEEM TO KNOW EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! Some of them have built in limit switches, and looks like some have built in prox switches. Ive obviously a lot of reading to do.
But, I'm gonna play with it a bit and see if its feasible.
Mike,

If I knew everything then ask me why I'm still working for a living. That should be a big enough clue for you

You're looking for a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch.

Brad
Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #977
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Decided to tackle something simple today

I figure since I'm getting ready to light the engine off again I should complete the air filter setup. It actually came out better than I expected.

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	284842Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	284843

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	284844Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-7.jpg
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	284845

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-3.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	284841Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	284840

Name:	74-argosy-remote-air-filter-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	284839

It really didn't take all that much time, I think I spent more time just goofing off and just thinking about things. I think I need a vacation

Brad
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #978
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
One of the things I salvaged from the 345 was the steering column, steering wheel adapter and the Classic style aftermarket steering wheel. The steering column has been installed for a long time now. The steering wheel however had the cover badly torn and some sections where missing so it just sat on the shelf while I looked for options.

Over the past few years I had been keeping watch on ebay for a usable steering wheel but nothing ever really looked appropriate. Fast forward to last fall and in talking with a co-worker it turns out he and his wife had taken up leather-working as a hobby.

I asked him if he would be interested in replacing the cover on the steering wheel and he said "SURE!". Well after many months of being his work que they finally finished the steering. It ended up looking pretty darn good! The color is a nice dark brown which should go good with the rest of the interior.

Name:	20170509_121359.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	285138Click image for larger version

Name:	20170509_121410.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	285139Click image for larger version

Name:	20170509_121436.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	285140

He did the leather cutting and fitting and she did the stitching. I guess after she was done she told him that if he EVER brought home another steering he better find a different place to sleep

One more problem resolved

Brad
Old 05-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #979
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Almost forgot to mention, last night I finished up the mount for the PCM module and got it installed. Now that the PCM is in place I can start finding places to mount various relays and a new fuse block. And then the wiring fun begins.....

Name:	20170508_182551.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	285149

Brad
Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #980
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
What kind of batteries did you put in your MH? I have a 77 Argosy 28 MH.
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Cor 10:13
Gypsyrose15 is offline   Reply With Quote