Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #641
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I need to ask the tuner if the program uses different averaging periods for different RPM ranges. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Also thinking along those lines I wonder if it's possible the number for the averaging period may have been entered incorrectly or inadvertently altered. I'll query him about this idea. However that idea might not be the answer because I do know we've tried memcals from two different vehicles and both are exhibiting the same exact behavior. The first one we tried was from a very similar engine configuration that is in use and running on the street right now. The second is from a 1994 454 P30 motorhome.

The only thing that is the same is I haven't as yet substituted any of the electronics hardware.

Hmm, define street racing.....
Its interesting because I can imagine the biggest change required in the timing is when the engine is still spinning quite slowly, and so there is less data points on which to make the decision. So any 'invalid' data point (say from debounce) has a more significant impact (so needs a bigger averaging 'number').....the phrase between a rock and a hard place comes to mind, you need more data to make a decision, when you have less data on which to make a decision!

I would check if the averaging is on number of data points vs time as well - number of data points will give you a different averaging period (faster = shorter). But faster may need 'more' data if you see what I mean.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #642
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I think the real problem is the spikes shouldn't be there and the fact they are is causing the averaging routine to produce erroneous data.

Here are three graphs illustrating how fast the spikes are. At sample one everything is fine, sample two the peak is shown and by sample 3 the spike is gone. There are 6 seconds from the first sample to the 3rd sample. So sometime within that 6 second period the spike came and went.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	264941Click image for larger version

Name:	sample2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	264942Click image for larger version

Name:	sample3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	264943

Weather permitting tonight I will replace the Ignition Control Module inside the distributor and see if it makes a difference.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #643
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Its interesting because I can imagine the biggest change required in the timing is when the engine is still spinning quite slowly, and so there is less data points on which to make the decision. So any 'invalid' data point (say from debounce) has a more significant impact (so needs a bigger averaging 'number').....the phrase between a rock and a hard place comes to mind, you need more data to make a decision, when you have less data on which to make a decision!

I would check if the averaging is on number of data points vs time as well - number of data points will give you a different averaging period (faster = shorter). But faster may need 'more' data if you see what I mean.
I'll ask him how many samples get averaged. I'm sure with good data (i.e. no spikes!) the spark advance would remain stable throughout.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #644
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
I think the real problem is the spikes shouldn't be there and the fact they are is causing the averaging routine to produce erroneous data.

Here are three graphs illustrating how fast the spikes are. At sample one everything is fine, sample two the peak is shown and by sample 3 the spike is gone. There are 6 seconds from the first sample to the 3rd sample. So sometime within that 6 second period the spike came and went.

Attachment 264941Attachment 264942Attachment 264943

Weather permitting tonight I will replace the Ignition Control Module inside the distributor and see if it makes a difference.
Brad is the rpm value shown in image 2 real or is it simply a case that the data included in that displayed point includes a spike that is making it look high? If it is just the spike maybe the control script can be written to ignore any 'implausible' data point (for example have a threshold that any raw rpm value above 6000rpm is invalid and can't be included?).

There are a lot of similarities between the powder feeder controllers (I use at work) and these set ups, where you have a system trying to maintain set point, but then a system trying to change set point dependent on the change in state of the process, and the biggest 'control' issue is identifying the difference but valid and invalid achieved data (in my case could simply be an operator walking past a powder feeder effecting the powder feeder balance) and using implausibility limits to reject bad data is a good first step.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #645
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad is the rpm value shown in image 2 real or is it simply a case that the data included in that displayed point includes a spike that is making it look high? If it is just the spike maybe the control script can be written to ignore any 'implausible' data point (for example have a threshold that any raw rpm value above 6000rpm is invalid and can't be included?).
The peak value of the spike is the reported value from the tach input to the PCM. For a fraction of a second the input reported the RPM was at that value. The next reported sample was back around the average number.

Unfortunately there's not a lot leeway in what can be done within the PCM programming. From what I understand the GM PCMs have been reverse engineered to varying degrees. Tuners know what values can be changed in what areas of memory to affect various operating parameters such as throttle position and length of time to open the fuel injectors.

I would be surprised if the original code by GM has something like value thresholds that can be rejected. However, I will ask about it just in case!

Quote:
There are a lot of similarities between the powder feeder controllers (I use at work) and these set ups, where you have a system trying to maintain set point, but then a system trying to change set point dependent on the change in state of the process, and the biggest 'control' issue is identifying the difference but valid and invalid achieved data (in my case could simply be an operator walking past a powder feeder effecting the powder feeder balance) and using implausibility limits to reject bad data is a good first step.
We do a lot of close loop control here as well and fortunately we have a lot more control over how the loops operate and could easily tune out something like RPM spikes!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #646
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I just finished reviewing all of the log files for the test runs that I've made. On the first day I made 5 runs where I had the RPMs above idle. The 1st three runs had spikes in the tach readings. The last 2 runs had no spikes and the engine sounded pretty good.

Each day since then all runs that were above idle have experienced spikes. However the one thing different is on the first day I did not disconnect the battery once I started testing. On all subsequent test runs I have disconnected the battery for some reason or other after a run or two.

I'm not sure there is a correlation here but I find it interesting that I was able to achieve to runs with no spikes. I think before swapping any parts or disconnecting the battery I'm going to do a bunch of test runs to see if the spikes go away after a while.

Stay tuned....
Old 06-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #647
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
The peak value of the spike is the reported value from the tach input to the PCM. For a fraction of a second the input reported the RPM was at that value. The next reported sample was back around the average number.
I neglected to mention each sample is approximately 300 milliseconds long.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #648
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The local fab shop finally finished fabricating my new custom 50 gallon fuel tank!

Rough dimensions are 45-3/4" wide, 21-3/4" deep and 12-1/2" tall. Calculates out to 51 gallons if filled to the top.

Name:	74-argosy-custom-50-tank-2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	265102

The sides and bottom are made from 14 gauge steel and the top is made from 12 gauge.

Name:	74-argosy-custom-50-tank-1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	265101

There are 3 baffles installed. Two that divide the tank into thirds and one that goes from front to back in the center section to help keep the sloshing down so the sending unit can work better.

Name:	74-argosy-custom-50-tank-3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	265103

There are ports for the suction and return from the engine and a port for the generator. There is aslo a 3/8" npt bung welded near the filler neck for a vent line that will go up near where the filler neck is. Also there is a 5/8" vent pipe that will up to the filler neck to allow the tank to breath while the tank is being filled.

Name:	74-argosy-custom-50-tank-5.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	265105

The cutout is to fit around the rear leaf spring hanger that intrudes into the fuel tank space. Could have added a couple of extra gallons if I didn't have to add the cutout.

Name:	74-argosy-custom-50-tank-4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	265104

Now my hope is I got my measurements right and the tank actually fits!
Old 06-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #649
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I'm happy to say the problem with the tachometer signal spiking has been fixed. It was a bad ignition control module (ICM) inside the distributor. I replaced it today with a new unit and there was an immediate difference in how the engine runs and sounds, and best of all NO spikes!

It's running well enough now that I've declared victory and will start dismantling the test stand and prep the engine to be hoisted into the chassis. I don't know if I'll be able to meet my target of having it installed by the end of the 4th of July weekend but I'll sure try

One other minor task completed today was I drilled the hole for the steering damper and installed it as well. Mike's (Mayco) dimensions definitely helped, thanks!

Name:	74-argosy-steering-damper-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	265194Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-steering-damper-1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	265193

Brad
Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 AM   #650
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Below is pretty much the entire list of components I had to source both new and used for installation of the TBI system. The Wide Band O2 sensor, Maxtow fuel pressure gauge and some of the programming hardware wasn't totally necessary but made tuning and troubleshooting a lot easier. I chose to use external fuel pumps instead of adding an intank pump mainly because dropping the fuel tank on one of these motorhomes is a royal pain. Me being the lazy type that I am I opted for easy access for future replacement while sitting on the side of the road

Electronic components:
PCM 16197427 (used)
Memcal 16248378 BYYC (for 1994 P30 7.4L with 4L80e)
DRAC/VSSB module (used)
Spark controlled distributor (AM-11978505)
Coil (ACDelco Ignition Coil D535 1115315)
Coil bracket (used)
Programming & Tuning support fee (performed by Old School EFI)

Sensors and ancillary components:
O2 sensor weld in bungs (2)
O2 sensor, narrow band (AFS74 O2 narrow band sensor)
O2 sensor, Wide Band (AEM 30-4110 Wideband O2 UEGO Controller Gauge)
Coolant sensor (Standard Products TX3)
MAP sensor (Standard Products AS5)
Map sensor mounting clip (used)
Oil pressure sending unit (ACDelco 19244500)
Fuel pressure gauge & transducer (MaxTow 100 PSI MT-DV11)

Programming & Logging components (supplied by Moates.net):
ODB to ALDL cable / USB
G1 Memory Adapter: TPI ETC.
BURN2 Chip Programmer'
S4 Aries 28-pin Low-Profile ZIF
C2 SST 27SF512 Chip
HDR1 Memcal Header
License fee for TunerPro RT programming/logging software

Wiring components:
TBI Harness (Fuel Injection Connection TBI/4L80e harness - 2433-3042-N, additional length in main bundle)
Coil to distributor cable
Red dash light for engine warning indicator

Fuel Feed System components:
2" GM throttle body (rebuilt)
Aluminum flat bar 3/4" x 8" x 8" - alloy 6061-T6 (used for TBI adapter plate)
Low pressure fuel filter (AC Delco - cartridge type - GF62P)
Low pressure fuel pump (Carter P4070)
High pressure fuel filter (WIX 33033)
High pressure fuel pump (Airtex E2000 fuel pump)
E2000 fuel pump mounting clamp
Surge tank
Surge tank fittings
Fuel pump block off plate
Fuel injection hose clamps 5/16" & 3/8"
Fuel pump relay (for low pressure pump)
Misc hose and tubing fittings

I purchased the TBI harness from Fuel Injection Connection because they apparently are the only supplier of an aftermarket harness that has the cabling & connectors built in to control the 4L80e transmission.

One thing to keep in mind is I have only run this engine on a test stand so for obvious reasons I can't say just how well it will perform until I'm able to drive it. I will say however that engine response on the test stand has been great. It starts right up at the turn of the key, idles at about 700 rpm and runs cool. In fact it runs so cool I've been having problems in testing the cooling fan controls that were added to the code. When I had it running with the Edelbrock carburetor it ran hotter so I was somewhat surprised that it ran cooler with the TBI installed. I'm not complaining, just surprised!

Brad
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #651
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Here's a video of the last test stand run of the engine. I've already started dismantling the test stand so this is the last run until I've finished installing the drive train and a bunch of wiring!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #652
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
....and runs cool. In fact it runs so cool I've been having problems in testing the cooling fan controls that were added to the code. When I had it running with the Edelbrock carburetor it ran hotter so I was somewhat surprised that it ran cooler with the TBI installed. I'm not complaining, just surprised!

Brad
My current 310 with an aftermarket TBI is the coolest running 454 I have owned (190-200), even in 100 degree summer temps. This apparently shows us that fuel delivery/efficiency AND computerized timing adjustments need to be considered when trying to troubleshoot and resolve high engine temperatures.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #653
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
My current 310 with an aftermarket TBI is the coolest running 454 I have owned (190-200), even in 100 degree summer temps. This apparently shows us that fuel delivery/efficiency AND computerized timing adjustments need to be considered when trying to troubleshoot and resolve high engine temperatures.
Peter, I've been doing some research on this and definitely agree that the use of computerized control for timing based on the various input parameters is what is making the difference in why it runs so cool.

One question the Tuner asked me was what temperature do I want it to run. Right now I'm inclined to say 180 degrees but I think these engines are actually supposed to run hotter than that. Fortunately it's an easy parameter to change so it's not something I need to worry to much about.

I can't wait to get the Argosy on the road to see how responsive it is while driving

If that doesn't happen this year I'll be real disappointed....
Old 07-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #654
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
On Thursday I did a trial fit of the new 50 gallon gas tank. I'm happy to say it slid into place just like I hoped it would

Name:	74-argosy-50-gal-trial-fit-2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	265845Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-50-gal-trial-fit-1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	265844Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-50-gal-trial-fit.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	265843

I've already got the saddle arms bent to shape I just need to figure out how to attach them to the frame.

I'll have to enlarge the opening in the floor slightly to accommodate the new filler neck. The opening in the floor will be inside a closet so it shouldn't be noticeable once the interior is finished.

Name:	74-argosy-50-gal-trial-fit-3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	265846

On Friday I started dismantling the engine test stand with the idea of installing the engine in the chassis on Saturday. The first thing I had to do was get the transmission located between the chassis frame rails so it would be ready to go once the engine was installed. By tilting the lift I was just able to slide the transmission and lift under the frame rails.

Name:	74-argosy-4L80e-on-lift.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	265857
Old 07-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #655
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I started out Saturday morning by getting the engine fastened onto the engine hoist and ready to go.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-11.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	265858

Once it was lifted high enough to clear the bumper another problem presented itself. The firewall panel that I fabricated as part of the doghouse cover installation was interfering with the engine hoist arm.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-10.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	265859Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-9.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	265860Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-8.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	265861Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-7.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	265862

As I was fabricating the panel I thought it might be an issue so I made it removable just in case With the panel removed there was more room to move the engine farther into the chassis.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-6.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	265863Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	265864

The next issue was the hoist arm itself interfering with the front of the shell opening. When I started the installation I wasn't sure if this was going to be a problem or not. The solution was to raise the front of the motorhome up about 3". That provided enough clearance above to allow the installation to continue.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-4.jpg
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	265865

The engine is now far enough into the chassis that I can lower it onto the engine mounts.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	265866

This is where I ran into the final installation problem. The drivers side mount slid right into place, unfortunately the passenger side was a different story. No matter what I tried it didn't want to slide down far enough to line up with the hole in the mount on the frame.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-stuck-mount.jpg
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	265867

I was tired and frustrated and needed a break so I decided to call it quits for the day and finish the installation on Sunday.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #656
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Sunday morning started out by me having to chase down the donkey who had escaped overnight. Once I got him back into the pasture I was able to tackle the stuck motor mount!

I spent about an hour under the motorhome poking and prying at the stuck mount and finally managed to get it aligned well enough to get the mounting bolt installed!

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	265869

The 454 is now installed and the back end is held in place by a 1"x2" piece of tubing and a strap.

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-front-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	265870Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-454-install-inside.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	265871

It's really weird to see a motor sitting in the chassis! It's been 8-1/2 years sine I removed the 350 that was installed by the PO. There were times when I never thought I would ever get to this point. Just goes to show that if you wait long enough it can get done

Next up is mating the 4L80e to the back of the 454 and relocating the rear transmission mount to work with the 4L80e. But first I'm going to have to spend the next week cleaning up the mess I made in the shop!

Brad
Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #657
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
This is great progress Brad, congratulations!
Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #658
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
This is great progress Brad, congratulations!
Thanks!

Let's hope it's not another 8-1/2 years before I can drive it
Old 07-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #659
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
What the heck, while I was hot and sweaty I decided to go ahead and lift the transmission into place

Name:	74-argosy-4L80e-in-place.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	265884

Still need to drill 8 new mounting holes for the cross member and torque a few bolts here and there but at least the hardest part is over.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #660
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
just impressive..., Brad!! Without the pictures, I would not believe that you did all of this in a day and some. And i am talking about chasing the donkey down
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote