Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #337
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, I stared at this picture of your seat pedestal for days before I finally realized why the spacing from your pedestal to the the edge of the raised deck was so much shorter than mine. On yours in the picture below the distance appears to be about 5" to 6" from center of pedestal to edge of wall.

On mine the distance from the center of the pedestal to the edge was something like 15". It finally dawned on me that your coach is missing the 9" extended platform behind the seats!
Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-new-dog-house.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	252328

On my old 84 310 the extended platform is present as seen in the picture below. Actually I think the extended platform is slightly larger in the 310 compared to my Argosy.

Name:	84-310-dog-house-opening.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	252333

Do you think having the platform present would make it easier for you to climb into the drivers seat of your Argosy?

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #338
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Martin, I stared at this picture of your seat pedestal for days before I finally realized why the spacing from your pedestal to the the edge of the raised deck was so much shorter than mine. On yours in the picture below the distance appears to be about 5" to 6" from center of pedestal to edge of wall.

On mine the distance from the center of the pedestal to the edge was something like 15". It finally dawned on me that your coach is missing the 9" extended platform behind the seats!
Attachment 252328

On my old 84 310 the extended platform is present as seen in the picture below. Actually I think the extended platform is slightly larger in the 310 compared to my Argosy.
Attachment 252333

Do you think having the platform present would make it easier for you to climb into the drivers seat of your Argosy?
I guess you don't miss what you have never had!

I am only 5' 9', 30" inside leg, but can comfortably step from the lower level, into the foot-well - maybe because the doghouse is shaped as it is.

I am not sure mine ever had the extended platform as a 9" extension would bring the raised section out past the edge of the door.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #339
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, I'll have to measure the actual length of the extension. It's been several years since I rebuilt it and it is likely shorter than that. On mine the extension reaches to within about 2" of the door opening.

On the later Classics the space inside that extension and right above the transmission is where Airstream located the hydraulic power unit for the coach leveling system. At least that's where it was located on the 86 345.

I went to a lot of effort rebuilding that platform extension and after looking at your arrangement I'm not sure why I went to all the effort

Now that it's in place I doubt that I will remove it, but it sure is tempting!

Brad
Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #340
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Since Martin has been going through fuel tank issues I figured it was time that I dropped my fuel tanks for cleaning and/or replacement.

My Argosy has two fuel tanks, the original OEM main tank on the passenger side and a custom auxiliary fuel tank behind the differential. Fortunately the main tank is available at a reasonable price, $189 delivered. I'll be ordering one of those in the near future.

The rear auxiliary tank is a real interesting piece of work.

The exterior fill door was installed with pop rivets.

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-fill-door.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	252539

Since the tank sits up between the frame rails the only way to get a vent pipe high enough was to route it up into the coach. For the breather/vent pipe from the tank to the filler neck they built a plywood housing that extends almost halfway into the coach above floor level.

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-fill-pipe-cover.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	252538

A lot of thought went into the construction of the covering as it has a galvanized sheet metal floor with plywood sides and the top cover had a sealing gasket.

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-fill-pipe-uncovered.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	252537Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-fill-pipe-uncovered-1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	903.2 KB
ID:	252536

The filler tube itself was routed down into the compartment below floor level and out to the tank itself.

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-fill-tube.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	252535Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-installed.jpg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	252534

The tank itself was definitely custom fabricated to fit in the spot it was in. The tank is solidly built and whoever built seemed to know what they were doing.

Name:	74-argosy-rear-aux-tank-top.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	252533

As far as installation goes my only real gripe is how the vent piping was routed. If I end up keeping the tank or something similar I'm going to have to find a better way to route the vent line.

The first thing I'm going to do is have the tank boiled out to get a better idea of what condition it's in. From looking inside it seems to be pretty solid but I'd rather have the repair shop give me their opinion.

Assuming I do keep the tank I will likely rework the filler tube arrangement. From what I could see someone smeared silicone sealant around the joint coming out of the tank where the large tube meets the smaller tube. My guess is the joint was leaking and it was an attempt to fix that.

I'm also considering dropping the tank several inches or more. The tank sits about 8" or more above the bottom edge of the differential. Dropping the tank 3" or so would make it a lot easier to route a vent line below the floor. The other modification would be to hang it from straps instead of bolting it directly to the frame.

Bottom line is I'd really like to keep the auxiliary tank for the added capacity. The main tank only provides about 26 usable gallons so adding another 25 or so would sure be nice

Brad
Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #341
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
My one concern about buying a new tank was the lack of a generator tap on the new replacement tanks. Last night I tried to remove the generator tap and found the screws were turning but not coming loose. Using an inspection mirror I and found that there are nuts on the inside of the tank! I was expecting some sort of welded on mounting boss, not nuts!

Apparently Airstream just bored a hole in the top of the tank and mounted the generator tap using screws and nuts. The sending unit opening is to small for me to get my hand inside to hold the nuts so I'm going to have to cut the heads off the screws. Airstream must have found someone with small hands to install the tap originally!

Name:	74-argosy-main-fuel-tank.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	252541

My initial external inspection of the main tank seemed to indicate it was in good condition. Last night using a flashlight I took a peek inside and found what appears to be a tank repair of some sort.

So, considering the tank has a prior repair and the generator tap is nothing more than screws and nuts I'm going just order a new tank. I'll have the repair shop (radiator shop) weld a mounting boss for the generator tap which would negate the need for nuts on the inside of the tank. I'll also have the new tank lined inside to help prevent future corrosion.

Brad
Old 11-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #342
2 Rivet Member

Geismar , Louisiana
I am sure having the extra fuel is quite nice but I would be careful about dropping it down further. If I am seeing things right it looks like it sits on the rear of the Argosy in that enclosure? My concern would be if you are coming off of an incline, say a steep curb or driveway, you will want that extra clearance so it doesn't bottom out. I would be afraid of denting it or putting a hole in it eventually if it sat too low.

-Dane
Old 11-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #343
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Dane,

Even after dropping the tank several inches or more it won't be hanging down any more than is found on the later Classic models. Also it will be closer to the diff than the larger rigs with more overhang. The tank is only about 25" front to back and sits between the generator enclosure and the differential. I think that's a pretty protected area.

Here's an example of one of the later Classic coaches showing just how far the fuel tank hangs below the frame.

Name:	fuel-tank-straps.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	252542

All things considered I think I'll be ok in dropping a few inches.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #344
2 Rivet Member

Geismar , Louisiana
I thought it mounted by the back bumper for some reason but I can see now that you are totally correct. Sorry about the bad advice . I am still looking for a 20ft Argosy for myself to tinker with so I didn't have a reference to compare to. I have just been stalking these threads trying to learn what others are doing.

Good luck with the tanks!
-Dane
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #345
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
No problem! It's always good to have decisions like this be second guessed. I'd rather have a problem be caught early rather than later. Especially if money is involved!

Brad
Old 11-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Ran into somewhat of a stumbling block on the gas tank sending unit. After many hours of googling I haven't managed to come up with a replacement sending unit. Most sending units being sold seem to be for 80s and later models and there seems to be about 13 billion different configurations available!

Name:	74-argosy-fuel-tank-sending-unit-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	252552Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-fuel-tank-sending-unit-2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	252553Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-fuel-tank-sending-unit-3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	252554

The original unit has two ports one for suction and one for return. Most replacement units have 3 or more. I'm ok with that as I could probably use a 3rd port as the generator tap. The bigger issue will be finding one that is the right depth and has the right flange diameter.

The only issue with mine is the variable resistor seems to be bad. It might be possible to retrofit an newer resistor to mine but I would prefer to save that as a last resort. Besides, any solution that I come with will likely be what Martin will have to use on his tank replacement so it would be nice find an off the shelf solution.

If anyone has any ideas I'm definitely open to suggestions.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #347
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
What about this one Brad?

https://www.millsupply.com/sending-u...75.php?p=47439

Old 11-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
That looks very promising. The three main points are depth which in our case needs to be about 11 to 11-1/2", flange diameter is 3.600" and it needs to be in the 0-90 ohm range.

There is some good info about GM fuel sending units at this site. The one you listed from Mill Supply is for 81-86 which falls in the range of years for the 0-90 ohm sending units.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Got it!

Here's the correct tank and the correct sending unit. The sending unit has an extra port that is supposed to be plugged.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #350
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
ISSPRO makes a pretty good product, and their sending units are built with a tubular style like this RA9512-ISS - ISSPRO Inc. ,

or the traditional style like this R8926 - ISSPRO Inc.

if I were having a 'custom' sized tank like Martin, the tubular style length can be specced to match the depth of the tank.

one of the previous owner's of our coach removed the mechanical fuel pump, and installed an external, electric fuel pump.

my other thought and question, if I were dropping or replacing my own custom (supposed to be 45 gallons) tank, is it worth installing an in the tank electric pump?

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is online now   Reply With Quote