Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
20 Foot '75 Diesel Argosy Upgrade

I am now in the process of fixing up my recent purchase of a 1975 Cummins Diesel powered 20' Argosy we now call "the egg." Brad suggested I start a thread for the egg's upgrade, so that's what I'm doing.

Just got it back from the mechanic after some needed brake work and electrical issues. Diesel runs like a champ (15 mpg on the road with dash a/c running). Plan to replace cabinets and bed using details in another Forum post. Fridge and stove work fine, but water heater will require replacement. Most of the rear bathroom interior will have to be replaced as the panels are not well attached to the walls. Previous owners drilled holes everywhere for speaker wires and other miscellaneous additions such as a satellite TV on the roof.

Looking for a few parts and suggestions:

Central Control Panel - my "egg" has no panel. It was suggested I look at some marine alternatives. Anyone have a functioning panel for sale?

Upgraded instrument cluster - Current panel is a mess and several engine gauges are mounted on a separate panel below the current panel. I've looked on line but most options are in the $1400 range. Can I splice a new dash into the current panel?

I will keep you posted on the progress.
mirobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
If someone else put a Cummins in there for you and it runs good and gets 15 mpg you are way ahead of the game. Sounds like a great platform for a project. Good luck.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirobbi View Post
I am now in the process of fixing up my recent purchase of a 1975 Cummins Diesel powered 20' Argosy we now call "the egg." Brad suggested I start a thread for the egg's upgrade, so that's what I'm doing.

Just got it back from the mechanic after some needed brake work and electrical issues. Diesel runs like a champ (15 mpg on the road with dash a/c running). Plan to replace cabinets and bed using details in another Forum post. Fridge and stove work fine, but water heater will require replacement. Most of the rear bathroom interior will have to be replaced as the panels are not well attached to the walls. Previous owners drilled holes everywhere for speaker wires and other miscellaneous additions such as a satellite TV on the roof.

Looking for a few parts and suggestions:

Central Control Panel - my "egg" has no panel. It was suggested I look at some marine alternatives. Anyone have a functioning panel for sale?

Upgraded instrument cluster - Current panel is a mess and several engine gauges are mounted on a separate panel below the current panel. I've looked on line but most options are in the $1400 range. Can I splice a new dash into the current panel?

mirobbi, good to see you started a thread on your Argosy

Is just your status panel missing or has everything been removed or altered? I have the status panel from my 74 20' Argosy that I will probably not be using.

I've designed a new layout for an instrument panel insert for my dash.

Post #70 is where I first start discussing a new dash panel.

At post #248 you'll see how my dash panel design dash has evolved.

Sometime in the next few months I will be placing the order to have the panel fabricated.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirobbi View Post

The original cluster is very basic, speedo on left, quadrant gauges on the right, two warning lights in the center and all run off a single connector/common PCB. All the components are still available including (since very recently) the PCB (https://www.millsupply.com/stepvan-p...hboard-gauges/), however there are some downsides, eg no tacho, trans temp, etc, and the oil gauge is mechanical and they often leak.

You can get a direct replacement cluster using modern gauges (electric) but this is not a direct plug in and requires removing the original connector and wiring directly (https://www.millsupply.com/gauge-clu...000.php?p=3269)

If you are going to direct wire, anything is possible and the only (space) restriction is that the cluster is bordered by 2 air/heater outlets - if you are re-doing your heater then there are lots of room. Take a look at Brad's proposed layout that he mentions.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Martin - Thanks for the information on the instrument cluster options. $500+ is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I'm still looking. Until recently I wasn't sure if I needed a Dodge cluster since the Cummins diesel is from a 1991 Dodge or the GM cluster since the chassis is Chevy. My mechanic says the Chevy. There's a 1973-87 Chevy GMC truck instrument cluster on eBay that I'm looking at but don't know if it will fit between the two a/c outlets.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Brad - Thanks for the information. That's a very nice panel you have in mind. Regarding the central control panel, all of the wiring is still in place as is the connector. I am missing the panel itself with the indicators. When I follow the wires to the sensors at the various tanks, I see that the wires at the sensors have been cut off, so I'm not sure that replacing the panel is a viable option. I tracked down the See Level Tank Monitor 709 system which has a digital readout with the sensors attached to the sides of the three holding tanks and a separate line to the LPG indicator. System runs about $180 for the sensors and indicator. On line reviews look good, but that's not always the story. Do you know anything about that system? Made by Garrett Industries.