Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Mission Viejo , California
1977 Argosy 28 MH front gaucho now converts to comfy double bed

This weekend I replaced the skimpy 4" original foam cushions on my front gaucho sofa with very comfortable 6" cushions with a memory foam top layer. The original sofa made into a 48"x75" bed that was complicated to set up with many flimsy loose plywood and leg pieces. The new sofa converts to a standard full size 54"x75" bed that is very easy to set up and way more comfortable as a sofa and a bed. Here is what I did:

I purchased a 6 inch thick double size foam mattress with a 2 inch memory foam topper from Amazon. I also purchased 5 yards of imitation sheep skin upholstery fabric from Amazon.

From Home Depot, I purchased two 5/8 inch thick pieces of plywood that I had cut into one 20 x 75" piece add another 34 x 75" piece.

I cut the Amazon mattress into one 34 inch wide piece add another 20 inch wide piece. I cut the sheepskin upholstery material to size and covered each cushion stapling the fabric covered cushion to the same size piece of plywood.

The larger cushion is now the base of my sofa and the smaller cushion is the back. I attached the legs to the plywood back of the base cushion with a hinge so the legs now drop down when the base cushion is pulled out to make a bed. Since it is usually just me driving the motorhome, I did not make accommodations for the seatbelts but could in the future.

Of second importance behind comfort, this design allowed me to keep storage under the sofa which I use for a large sub woofer cabinet, extra batteries and tools. Pictures forthcoming

Old 07-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
this weekend i replaced the skimpy 4" original foam cushions on my front gaucho sofa with very comfortable 6" cushions with a memory foam top layer. The original sofa made into a 48"x75" bed that was complicated to set up with many flimsy loose plywood and leg pieces. The new sofa converts to a standard full size 54"x75" bed that is very easy to set up and way more comfortable as a sofa and a bed. Here is what i did:

I purchased a 6 inch thick double size foam mattress with a 2 inch memory foam topper from amazon. I also purchased 5 yards of imitation sheep skin upholstery fabric from amazon.

From home depot, i purchased two 5/8 inch thick pieces of plywood that i had cut into one 20 x 75" piece add another 34 x 75" piece.

I cut the amazon mattress into one 34 inch wide piece add another 20 inch wide piece. I cut the sheepskin upholstery material to size and covered each cushion stapling the fabric covered cushion to the same size piece of plywood.

The larger cushion is now the base of my sofa and the smaller cushion is the back. I attached the legs to the plywood back of the base cushion with a hinge so the legs now drop down when the base cushion is pulled out to make a bed. Since it is usually just me driving the motorhome, i did not make accommodations for the seatbelts but could in the future.

Of second importance behind comfort, this design allowed me to keep storage under the sofa which i use for a large sub woofer cabinet, extra batteries and tools. Pictures forthcoming

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468268920.841993.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	266505Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468269297.867083.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	266506

Old 07-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Looks comfy!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdufault View Post
This weekend I replaced the skimpy 4" original foam cushions on my front gaucho sofa with very comfortable 6" cushions with a memory foam top layer. The original sofa made into a 48"x75" bed that was complicated to set up with many flimsy loose plywood and leg pieces. The new sofa converts to a standard full size 54"x75" bed that is very easy to set up and way more comfortable as a sofa and a bed. Here is what I did:

I purchased a 6 inch thick double size foam mattress with a 2 inch memory foam topper from Amazon. I also purchased 5 yards of imitation sheep skin upholstery fabric from Amazon.

From Home Depot, I purchased two 5/8 inch thick pieces of plywood that I had cut into one 20 x 75" piece add another 34 x 75" piece.

I cut the Amazon mattress into one 34 inch wide piece add another 20 inch wide piece. I cut the sheepskin upholstery material to size and covered each cushion stapling the fabric covered cushion to the same size piece of plywood.

The larger cushion is now the base of my sofa and the smaller cushion is the back. I attached the legs to the plywood back of the base cushion with a hinge so the legs now drop down when the base cushion is pulled out to make a bed. Since it is usually just me driving the motorhome, I did not make accommodations for the seatbelts but could in the future.

Of second importance behind comfort, this design allowed me to keep storage under the sofa which I use for a large sub woofer cabinet, extra batteries and tools. Pictures forthcoming
Do you have the type of gaucho that pulls out on runners. or the later type where the back and base pivot forward on cantilever hinges?

Joseph (JM2 on the forum) and I were working on the two gauchos in my '78 parts donor on Saturday, looking for parts for our '77s and the gaucho setup definitely changed between early '77 and late '78.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
My gal Joe has the slides. I was able to use the existing double leg sat for support. I simply hinged the double leg to the base cushion plywood. The so far now converts to a bed in about 30 seconds. And, oh yeah, it is comfortable.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
One additional point that might be helpful to the sewing impaired like me. I used a simple sewing awl to hand sew the corner edges of my cushions. I then of course stapled the long bottom edges to the plywood. I'm pleased with the results.