Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Templeton , California
New Owner, Many ?s

Hi All,

Just picked up a new trailer for a steal. Didn't think I'd actually own one of these but the opportunity was too good to pass up. We have big plans for the trailer but will take it slow for now. Eventually will move bath to mid trailer and have bedroom in rear.

First question is how much of a demand is there for original parts on this year/model? I've already torn out the carpet, cushions, draperies, gaucho (I think that's the bed/sofa thing in the front?) and the table. Will eventually remove the kitchen area and appliances and bathroom. Haven't thrown anything away yet but I know there will be something that I think is garbage when it's just the thing someone else is looking for. What are the big in demand items from our trailers, if anything? Any items I absolutely shouldn't throw away? If there is anything someone needs, now is the time to ask...

The trailer had been sitting for some time, so I was quite surprised to find the A/C works, the Freezer gets cold (the fridge not so much) and the furnace blower moving air! I'll keep the A/C for now but the fridge will likely go as the fridge itself is bowed out on the area between the freezer and fridge which is preventing the doors from sealing properly.

Subfloors are in great condition. The bumper storage area is another story. What a horrible design...

Ordered a new electrical converter and am planning out the "remodel" of the front sitting/dining/sleep area.

First thing I need to do is reseal this thing to prevent water intrusion. What is the best seal material to use for windows and doors on our years. I see on the InlandRV site that there is a "D" shaped seal that is supposed to work better than the original style but I also read someone had issues with it. Anyone have any recommendations for which seal type to use?

TIA for any input and I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit of time here.

Ryan
ryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
mckinney , Texas
Hi Ryan
Congrats on your new purchase!
I am also in the process of gutting mine and was wondering what to do with the parts.
I did put an ad on Craigslist if anyone wants to buy them for cheap but if i don't hear from anyone, I am not sure what to do with them. I have a fridge in very good working condition too.

I will keep Chkn to see what other airstreamers advice on what to do with the parts.
Thanks and good luck with your project.
mkamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Well congratulations on your purchase. You seem, justifiably, pretty pumped. You say that it's been sitting for quite a while, so before you go towing it on the freeways, or anywhere really, make sure the tires are fresh - check the date of manufacture on the tires and replace them if they are much over 5 years old, even if they don't show wear. Then take a hard look at the axle. Chances are it should be replaced, but at least check it out. If it doesn't need replacing then you should re-pack the bearings and inspect the brakes. Basically safety first. I personally would drop the belly pan and check out the frame for rust and the subfloor for rot. Make repairs as needed. Then move on with the interior, which is the fun stuff.
Good luck
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Templeton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Well congratulations on your purchase. You seem, justifiably, pretty pumped. You say that it's been sitting for quite a while, so before you go towing it on the freeways, or anywhere really, make sure the tires are fresh - check the date of manufacture on the tires and replace them if they are much over 5 years old, even if they don't show wear. Then take a hard look at the axle. Chances are it should be replaced, but at least check it out. If it doesn't need replacing then you should re-pack the bearings and inspect the brakes. Basically safety first. I personally would drop the belly pan and check out the frame for rust and the subfloor for rot. Make repairs as needed. Then move on with the interior, which is the fun stuff.
Good luck
Forgot to mention those items. New axle and brake assemblies are sitting on a pallet in the garage and tires already mounted on new steel wheels are ready to go! I towed it home on what I believe are the original tires. Is that even possible?? I may pull the belly pan to inspect for rust. Thanks for the heads up!
ryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Montezuma , Iowa
Get ready for the fun. We purchased what we thought was a perfect 74 31' AS. Now the gaucho has been recovered, new floors, new Ref., new Air conditioning, etc. I cleaned up everything I could around the windows and door, I taped around both sides, and used gutter caulk. It's gray, stays flexible, and is easy to work with. We have been in some nasty rain, and I'm proud to report no leaks. That's my " for what it's worth "
toverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry View Post
Hi All,

First thing I need to do is reseal this thing to prevent water intrusion. What is the best seal material to use for windows and doors on our years. I see on the InlandRV site that there is a "D" shaped seal that is supposed to work better than the original style but I also read someone had issues with it. Anyone have any recommendations for which seal type to use?

TIA for any input and I'm sure I'll be spending quite a bit of time here.

Ryan
I used The original style and am very happy,with the results

AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
I used the D style and they work fine too.

Post your parts in the classified section. I went with original on my AS so I was constantly scouring that section.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello ryry, nice to meet you. Welcome to the vintage Airstream community. You seem to have big plans for your Overlander. I think the Overlander is a very nice sized travel trailer.

New axles and brakes are a big plus. I would pull that belly pan, remove the old insulation, and inspect the frame. Look for the 'rear end separation" where the rear most steel cross member supporting the rear of the body rusts away. Sometimes there is a buckle in the frame rails right behind the rear most axle. You can stand on the rear bumper and jump up and down like you were on a diving board. Look for any movement, or separation, between the body and the frame rails. If it opens up say 1/4 inch or more, it means the rear of the body is no longer attached to the frame. This is a significant project to repair, but needs done.

Your 72 likely does not have a gray waste water tank. This is needed for traveling unless you plan on using a remote waste water tank, which many folks do.

Check the plumbing for leaks. Changing to a mid bath is a huge project and will require new fresh water plumbing and drain water plumbing. So maybe you don't need to check it for leaks.

California and southwest Airstreams are typically in better condition than other parts of the country due to the arid climate. (It's been very bad lately with the horrible drought.) So you may have less refurbishment to do than some of us.

Make your plan. Every cubic inch of an Airstream has a purpose. Electrical or plumbing may be needed at that spot. For example, a toilet needs fresh water and a drain tank, and that tank needs a drain port and a vent. Same with a bath sink. A shower needs a pan, a p-trap, and a drain tank. How is all that gonna fit over the axles? And the wheel wells are probably in the way. Airstream engineers are very good at interior designs. Take a look at some of their floor plans.

Remember, for every hour you disassemble your Airstream, it will take maybe 10 hours to renew and put it back together. Rebuild takes much longer than teardown.

Renovating an Airstream is a big project. Budget maybe $15k and maybe 1500 hours. And then you will have one very nice vintage Overlander.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

1972 27' Overlander
Sandpoint , Idaho
Welcome Ryry!
We also have a '72 Overlander and love ours. We've spent the last three years working on it and finally took it to Morro Bay for it's maiden voyage two weeks ago. Still a work in progress but at least it's coming along. Spencer wanted to move the bed to the rear as well but I dissuaded him with the same argument dbj216 (David) made. Take lots of pictures, write everything down you can. Use the forums as they are a great resource and don't throw anything away yet. Ziploc bags, black Sharpies, and a camera were pretty much my first month with the trailer just getting to know her. Now I'm making my list for packing her for next week back to Morro Bay for a 9 day trip and I'm actually looking forward to it!
Monique
spencerhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
Robert

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
The folks at Timeless Travel Trailers (Custom Airstream, luxury trailers, retail & marketing vehicles) are Airstream restoration/remodeling experts; that might be a place you can get some tips, too.
roperlaw is offline   Reply With Quote