Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You Lucky Dog! Your neighbor is Lance...."Top".....A great Guy to know and beg answers from. He is in Harker Heights or hangin' here on the Forums. Also, save a little time for the restoration rally the first part of June in ABQ. All you question answered, with hands on demos.
I don't know if I'd call him lucky, Mr Ranch! I plan to meet Randall in the next few days.
I too highly encourage ANYONE doing a restoration to attend the VRR in ABQ. Even if you know everything, you'll learn something! (and have a whale of a time doing it)

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
weekend update

Well, I failed to get some new photos posted last weekend but here are a few...We pulled pretty much everything out of the interior and have some rot on a few pieces of plywood in the front, probably pieces of at least three sheets will need to be replaced.

I am pretty sure axles are original and I am now thinking those will probably be soon, but that is a project that is beyond my garage and expertise at this time. So I will have to figure out where to get them done near me(central texas). Anyone have any suggestions?

Top, Can't wait to get together sometime when our schedules allow it. I also can't wait to get this thing weekend camping worthy to take it to a few rallys.

Probably not going to get much done this weekend but I am going to pick up some parbond and window gaskets this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02165.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	151955   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02174.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	151956  

Name:	DSC02167.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	151957  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Welcome! Your axles look like they are toast. Besides that all doors windows gaskets etc. VTS has some great silicone remover worked great for me!
Marzboy, I saw that you put new axles on your trailer from your blog. How did you go about getting new ones?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoores View Post
Marzboy, I saw that you put new axles on your trailer from your blog. How did you go about getting new ones?
I did a lot of rescearch and I went with Axis axles from Colin Hyde. Actually your boy Top was the tipping vote for me. Collins Axles come pre assembled which worked for me because I did it all by my self. And I do mean all of it! Dont do that trust me! Beg a friend, hire undocumented workers, clone yourself,etc. Check out my thread or my blog. Also talk to Lance hes a pretty cool dude. Good luck!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Exterior Waterproofing

Well, we had a pretty good work day yesterday with the assistance of three friends and a few beers we successfully removed old parbond along major exterior seams and added some sealant on the old roof vents that are in decent shape. Along the way I was able to take a better look at a few of the windows that need replacement/work. Altogether I think three windows need replacement for waterproofing and one additional for cosmetic reasons.

Who has replaced windows in the past? I initially wanted to pay someone to do this because I have never worked with glass or rivets before and didn't want to start with this. But after some more consideration I feel I can handle it with the two on the roof and then work towards the front and then side window.

The olympic rivet kit from vintagetrailer.com seems pretty expensive, but maybe that is what they go for. I just don't know. Any thoughts or suggestions on tackling this project, i.e. removal/installation of the window, finding the replacement glass or removal/installation of the glass in the frame would be appreciated.

Enjoy the photos. The one interior photo is the inside view of the crappiest window.

Until the next time I find time to work on it...

Randall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02214.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	152535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02218.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	152536