Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
1970 was the last year for wood veneer interiors; 1971 was the first year for tambour doors and the fake wood panel look.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
1970 was the last year for wood veneer interiors; 1971 was the first year for tambour doors and the fake wood panel look.
Thanks. I'll have to resuffle the info in my brain. I had pretty much decided against anything after mid-60's for that reason alone.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #43
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Ask, and Ye shall receive.

Every once in a while I am going to have to stop, just to say Thank You. This collective of knowledge, and willingness to help is nothing short of amazing. It is all very much apprciated.

I found the screws at Lowe's, and they look pretty much exactly like the ones at VTS. Thanks for both suggestions. I was glad to find them locally, as I hate waiting. Especially since this little setback is a real thorn in my side.

I did some investigating last night, when a clearer head could prevail. I have been hanging on to a 7 foot aluminum level for years, that finally came in handy. Preliminarily, my suspicion that part of the floor isn't secured properly appears correct. The entire floor is perfectly level right up to the point where the seems are buckled. Behind that area, the floor bows up slightly. Again, this is right where I heard squeeking.

I guess I could see how some bolts could work themselves loose over the years. But why the floor would bow up is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps it is simply a matter of weight on the floor all the way around this area. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I guess it could be the dreaded RES. We won't contemplate that right now. Regardless, dropping the belly pan this winter is no longer optional.

So I will be pulling up my new floor, hopefully this evening. At this point, I have no plans to remove all of the cabinets I just put in should the problem continue that far. So I might wind up with some oversized holes in my new floor, but they will be inside the cabinets. Shhhhh! It will be our little secret. Wish me luck with the screws.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Glad you found the screws. Is there an access panel or could you drill out a few rivets in the belly pan to take a look at that area to make sure it's not a frame issue? The bolts could have popped because of a frozen axle too. Oh ya! Good Luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #45
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I second looking at the frame. While the problem was primarily with the Sovereigns, I do know of some Overlanders that suffered from frame separation. I'm not saying that's the source of your problem, but it's worth a look. Since you have the trailer apart, the fix is relatively easy; Airstream has the .pdf in the Customer Service area of their website.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #46
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Good Advice

I was going to postpone looking underneath until this winter. I think it is a solid tie between procrastination and a healthy dose of denial (of what I might find). But I do see a patch in the belly pan in the neighborhood of my problem...hmmmmmmm. So I will peel it off and see what there is to see.

I really want to move past this phase. Next is removing and taking out my frustration on that noisy Univolt.

Have a good weekend, all.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
The bellypan should be pop-riveted to the frame rails. If its not, do so. If you cut inside the frame rails then the "patch" will be a very straight-forward flat replacement that can just overlap the curved part and also get riveted to the rails. Wear a mask and goggles against the hazmat stuff that will fall out. Much better to complete the diagnosis and cure the problem now. Just think, there are so few places in America yet to be explored.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:05 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
I woke up this morning and the first thing that came to mind was to correct the post from yesterday. My point was to suggest limiting the panel replacement to the flat portion of the bellypan, which would make it pretty easy. However, its probably better for the center replacement panel to go under the perimeter overlap instead of on top as I suggested yesterday.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #49
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I remember an early 1970's Overlander that came into the shop that had a funny squeaking sound in the floor, about 3-5 feet toward the rear of the main door. It turned out to be where the water tank was located, and one of the frame crossmembers was moving slightly, causing the noise. If the "patch" you found is also in that area, it probably is simply the bottom cover for the water tank. Does there seem to be a steel frame around the patch?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #50
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Moving right along

Thanks for all of the tips everyone!

The floor came up in about 15 minutes. Bickety bam. I screwed down the area in question with the screws Lee and Marcus recommended, and it seems to have removed a considerable amount of play in the floor.

I inspected the frame from underneath as best I could, and found nothing amiss. There doesn't even appear to be any surface rust. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the stringers almost look powder coated. I did remove a patch and found a tear in the belly. Beneath that, it looks like a stringer took a shot from a rock or the like, and has a dent in it. However, this is well away from my problem.

So the floor has been back down for 4 days and has received lots of traffic (I have been working in that area) and knock on wood, no buckling as of yet. I am starting to think that the other piece of this puzzle is that I bought too crappy of flooring. Live and learn.

Cutting off my nose to spite my face: I made good on my promise and removed the current bain of my existence - the Univolt. Now I have no DC power in the trailer until my new fuse panel arrives from VTS. I will be replacing with a PD 9260 that I had in my last trailer. That and my Fantastic Vent will always be with me, as they are God's gift to trailers. Now I am trying to decide between 2 6V or 2 12V AGM's. Conventional wisdom suggests the 6V will be less likely to fail, having fewer cells. However, my battery guy is trying to convince me that this isn't an issue with AGM's. If they were both in stock, I would go with the 6V. But I have the maiden voyage planned for the 20th, and he can't guarantee they will arrive by then. I hate timing issues.

I also finished the bunk beds, which replace the back, side gaucho (and under which, all of the 12V goodies will go). The kids appear to be pretty excited now that they have a place to sleep, albiet uncomfortable (no foam yet). The DW said that she goes to sleep every night, worrying about bunk bed failure. So I built the top bunk strong enough to hold a tank (I hope). I salvaged the aluminum parts from the trashed gaucho, and even added a few more. I will try and get pix up in the next day or so. In the meantime, I will have to come up with some pretty strong praises for the person who's bunk bed design I flat out copied. It is tough being 100% devoid of any creativity whatsoever.

Next up is cleaning, inspecting, and hopefully reinstalling the original Suburban furnace. I had thoughts of just replacing it, but if it is ok, I can think of a few other things I would rather allocate the funds to.

If anyone is in need of a fantastic boat anchor in my area, I have a blue one you can just have. Speaking of which, I have the original hubcaps, and 4 original steel wheels if anyone is in the market.

Keep it shiny out there!
Best,
Wuttevr
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I'm truly enjoying reading your posts and following your progress on the trailer. It's inspiring, as we have quite a ways to go on our '67 Safari yet (after we're done redoing our house bathroom... and maybe our kitchen... and finishing the dining room... and...). Looking forward to seeing updated pics of the trailer!!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
IMHO any original trailer designs or modifications or which appear online are free game, and any replications of such should be considered as highest praise to the designer.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #53
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Very nice on the progress. I would like to see lots more pics...

original hub caps? I would be interested in those.... if you need parts I am picking up a '70 Sovereign today...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #54
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Consider them yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
Very nice on the progress. I would like to see lots more pics...

original hub caps? I would be interested in those.... if you need parts I am picking up a '70 Sovereign today...
Let's chat. If I can find my stinking camera (the wife has the audacity to use it for taking pictures of the kids. Sheesh!) I'll snap some pixs of them for you. I can't remember their condition, but I think 1 of the 4 is a little sketchy. Either way, you are welcome to them.

I do need a couple of things, I think. I need either a main door lock core, or the whole stinking thing. My rig also appears to be about 50% plexiglass, so I would be interested to hear what you have left for glass. Perhaps I should buy a rock guard before I replace glass. Nah! I am also going to need rear corner panels, but I hadn't contemplated that little project yet.

Congrats on the Zip Dee and new A/C unit!

Best,
Wuttevr
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #55
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thank you, thank you!

I am waiting for all of you to congratulate me. I think I finally found some floor rot worthy of subfloor replacement. I was getting pretty excited working my way through the bathroom, not finding anything. But last night, as I was scoping out waterline replacement, I think I found some pretty punky wood in the rear compartment. I really was feeling a bit left out.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Congratulations!! You are now an "official" vintage restoration project owner.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Nice. This is when it gets fun...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #58
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
........is the sincerest form of flattery.

Here are a few pictures of the progress. My posts would be far more interesting if I could figure out how to put pictures in amongst the text, but I am a man and I refuse to read directions.

Most importantly, a 'Tip of the Ole Hat' to Mr. Purman. Indeed sir, I borrowed your idea for bunk beds. Thank you. It isn't that I am a thief, necessarily. It is more that I have never had an original idea in my life. So full credit goes out to you. Speaking of which, I am waiting with baited breath for you to post pictures of your finished front area, since the wife wants an L - shaped dinette up there. I did invert your design slightly, as my kids have a tendancy to roll a tremendous amount while sleeping. I used the old aluminum gaucho parts for the frame of the upper bunk, and managed to hit 4 ribs in the wall. She ought to hold.

Picture 3 is titled "Uh, Oh".

Oh, yeah. Mr. Utee-
I think you and I are miles apart on our definitions of the the word "fun". But maybe I am a square (tongue firmly planted against my cheek).

Best all,

Wuttevr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	86634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4639.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	86635  

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	86636  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #59
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Most Excellent!!!!! I think that your kids will love that, I know mine would...
MJMarkhams70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #60
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Gone Fishin'

So I have been somewhat remiss about my AS project lately. Well, it turns out that I had been a little remiss about being a husband and a father. I am surprised I didn't just sleep in the thing. The big push was to get it usable for the Guys Fishing Trip to Yellowstone. Well, it turns out that Dumpster's services won't be necessary, so I have been taking a breather. I now have the whole winter to get it done.

I have been piddling a little. I took an hour while the DW wasn't looking and installed my Fantastic Vent where an old, plastic, cracked, covered-in-duct-tape-vent was. I had identified this as a leak source during the last rainstorm. For those interested, a couple of observations:

I went for the chisel technique in removing the old rivets. Worked like a charm, and probably took a tenth of the time drilling would have.

I don't think the AS specific interior garnish is really necessary. The non-contoured one seems to snug up pretty well.

Since AS's look really cool with tinted windows, the smoked cover looks just as good, if not better than the silver.

I also managed to get pretty much everything back in, in the way of stuff. Wood refinishing will have to come later, the gaucho up front is going to go the way of the rear one for a new U-shaped dinette, and I decided that my antique fridge is going to get brushed aluminum panels to replace the current plastic laminate ones.

The other thing I managed was to get my Trojan G31 AGM's installed (directly over the axles), along with the new fuse panel and Intelli-power CC. No photo of those yet, as they don't look to pretty.

Sorry this is such a weak update, but I am going fishin'.

Best,
Wuttevr
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4854.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	87228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4855.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	87229