Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #221
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Punxsutawney Phil is Full of IT

Actually, I didn't even bother to check if the oversized rodent gave us a prediction or not. I thought I heard somewhere he said winter was over. I have to take issue with that.

So we had a couple of days above freezing, and Ole Dump managed to thaw out and caught my attention. I have done as much work on her this winter as Miss America contestants have done in solving the ever elusive 'world peace' issue.

Anyway, the 500 pound gorilla in the room is the damage she sustained during the maiden voyage last summer. So, I have been giving it some thought. The bulk of my grey matter has been solidly in the 'wait another year to fix it' camp. Sadly, I have too much respect for her to leave that scar.

OODM finally has the outriggers available, so they ought to be hear soon. But I need some insight on a couple of things..... I think they rank right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?'

-What is a source/substitute for C-Channel?

-Same question for rib material.

-Is a rivet gun just a glorified, overpriced air chisel with a rivet set and pressure regulator?

-The world turns, where's Dr. Phil?

Option B- Does expandable foam stick to aluminum?

I hope everyone has had a restfull hibernation. This Griz is itching to get spring going.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #222
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
Actually, I didn't even bother to check if the oversized rodent gave us a prediction or not. I thought I heard somewhere he said winter was over. I have to take issue with that.

So we had a couple of days above freezing, and Ole Dump managed to thaw out and caught my attention. I have done as much work on her this winter as Miss America contestants have done in solving the ever elusive 'world peace' issue.

Anyway, the 500 pound gorilla in the room is the damage she sustained during the maiden voyage last summer. So, I have been giving it some thought. The bulk of my grey matter has been solidly in the 'wait another year to fix it' camp. Sadly, I have too much respect for her to leave that scar.

OODM finally has the outriggers available, so they ought to be hear soon. But I need some insight on a couple of things..... I think they rank right up there with 'What is the meaning of life?'

-What is a source/substitute for C-Channel?

-Same question for rib material.

-Is a rivet gun just a glorified, overpriced air chisel with a rivet set and pressure regulator?

-The world turns, where's Dr. Phil?

Option B- Does expandable foam stick to aluminum?

I hope everyone has had a restfull hibernation. This Griz is itching to get spring going.
I have a 36" metal break so I could make some short lengths of "C" channel for you. we could also fab a few feet of rib material... easy stuff...

The riveter does seem as if it's just an air chisel, but I bought one anyway.

Miss America, world peas.... oh you did say peace. There is plenty of peace in the world these days...

MJM
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #223
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
The Only Thing Better Than Owning Lots of Tools...

............is having friends that do. Many thanks for the kind offer my friend.

I will have to dust off my air chisel, and then decide if I want to have it anywhere near my trailer. Has anyone actually tried the proper rivet set in one? I'd just hate to blow $150 on a tool that I hope I will never need to use again.

<Edit> Never mind. I found a pretty 'heated' thread that gave me my answer. Sadly, the answer is always more expensive$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The stringers showed up yesterday (nice looking stuff), just in time for a blizzard and -10.

Brrrrr

Old 03-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #224
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Cognative Dissonance

Ok, how'd I do?

This seems to good to be true (therefore it is?). I got all of this off of Ebay for $65 bucks:

ATS Rivet Gun (3X or 4X?)
5 Rivet sets, including 1/8
2 types of retainers
Cleco Pliers
Several sizes of Clecos
Pressure Regulator
Multiple drill bits
2 different bucking bars

The gun looks hardly warn. I tried bucking a couple of rivets, and it seems to work fine. But what would I know?

I am slowly starting to collect everything to make my repairs this spring. This part of it came in well under budget if the experts out there think I have aquired the proper tool. Any input?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0191.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	124891

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #225
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Hey dumpster...ive got 4 large panels to replace courtesy of a large tree limb... Would you have any intetest in recycling your "glorified air chisel" after you have completed your task?

Sent from my iPod touch using AIR Forums
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #226
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
man, some guys have all the luck. GREAT FIND. I am anxious to see how you do with the repair. I know you will handle it with ease.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #227
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
If I Didn't Have Bad Luck, I Wouldn't Have Any at All

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMarkhams70 View Post
man, some guys have all the luck. GREAT FIND.
It's funny. I haven't felt too lucky since that wheel flew off in the first place. But I suppose you're right, Michael. It is probably time to stop sulking, and see that glass as half full. But it is going to be beer, no boring water!

The really funny part is I will probably get all of this stuff collected and decide that it can wait another year.

I have to admit it does look like an air chisel. But most threads I read related to the subject suggest otherwise. I compared both, and the 'action' on the rivet gun is different. At least it feels that way.

Laterz

Old 03-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #228
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Chris, I know you will fix your AS up to speed and it wont take near as long as you think. Once you look at things, you will see the simplicity in the task... keep your chin up and you will get it knocked out. I need to give you a call...
Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #229
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Chicks Dig Scars

Well, despite having all of the materials collected other than the Alclad, the DW informed me that my upcoming week off will not be spent on repairing Dumpster's damage. So she is going to have to bear another season with that scar on her in public. So what that leaves is a minor punch list left over from last season.
On that list was a leaky water pump. It is pretty old and gamy looking, but seems to work just fine, so in lieu of buying a new one, I bought the necessary gaskets to keep it from dripping water on my new floor. While I had it out, I decided to take a whack at something I have often thought about; reducing the noise and vibration. Nothing stinks more than a kid getting up in the middle of the night to piddle, and waking up the rest of the camper with the water pump.
So I created what I have always envisioned as the way to tackle this. It is a simple box made of "5/8 ply. It is lined with a very soft foam about 2" thick. Said foam actually suspends the pump in place, so it is not screwed to the wood at all, which appears to reduce the vibration tremendously. The other thing I did was use rubber hose out about 10 inches before connecting to the PEX. I think this is also reducing vibration compared to straight, rigid PEX. So far, this appears to have cut the sound down to almost silent, and reduced the vibration to about half.

Name:	DSCN1571.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	128708 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1572.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	128709

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #230
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
this is an interesting idea. I may have to look into doing something of this nature in out trailer.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #231
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Christmas in May

Ever since I became an RV'r some 8-10 years ago, I had it in my head that my destiny was to have 2 Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generators. I knew that spring and fall would only require one, and only a few weekends in the dead-heat of the summer would require both to run the AC. Well, 2 grand never seemed to drop in my lap to make this dream a reality. I have had a 3500 watt open-frame Champion generator for several years, and am very impressed with its quality for the price. Well, the same company released a 2000 watt inverter model at one heck of a price point: 500 bones. So I bit-

Name:	DSCN1576.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	129026

I brought this home from Sam's Club today, filled it with oil and gas, and it started on the second pull. It is very quiet, and very capable of supplying us with battery charging capablities when needed. It is also very small, and only weighs in at 45 lbs. I think I will spring for a second one this summer or next. Off topic? Yeah, maybe. But I had to tell someone!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #232
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Kingston , New York
Quote:

this 1970 Overlander. This is the year and model I want, and have been looking semi-aggressively for about 5 years.

Dumpster,
Congratulations on going for it! My internet is slow to load so I haven't been able to read the entire thread (so forgive me in advance if you answered this). I wanted to know why the 1970 Overlanders is the year and model that you knew you wanted.

As some one who stumbled into this same year/model purchase without doing much research (a happy accident so far), I'm so pleased to hear of your high regard for the 1970 Overlander. Please elaborate more on why this is the one that has haunted you for 5 years. What makes it a good vintage, so to speak?

Best wishes,
Pyrenees
pyrenees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #233
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Time, And a Healthy Dose of Rationalization

That is how I can best answer the question: Why 1970?

.......but after typing up a lengthy explanation here, I realize this isn't the appropriate place to explain why I chose a particular year over another. Opinions on the subject are likely varied. Please see PM from me.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #234
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I've Been Buckin', Baby!

The next item on the punch list is the fresh water fill. This thing blows!

Name:	DSCN1585.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	129293

Not only is it really ugly, it leaks inside the trailer everytime I use it. So in my quest to replace everything plastic on the exterior, I went back to the marine industry. However, I couldn't find one large enough to fill the old hole, so a patch was in order. It isn't Alclad, but it polished up pretty good in the end.

I was all ready to use stainless screws to secure the patch, but decided I was ready to try my hand at bucking. Plus, I had everything I needed in the bucking kit I got off Ebay. So out came the Clecos.

Name:	DSCN1586.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	129294

So far so good. My inexperience at bucking showed itself on the last rivet, when I discovered my rivet gun has an overdrive. I will let you all decide if you notice. I also gather that these aren't the correct rivets. I am not going to lose too much sleep since it isn't structural, and I can seal from the inside. Anyway, I think it turned out pretty nice. It started to rain the second I got the camera, which smeared things up pretty good.

Name:	DSCN1587.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	129295

Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #235
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
...........While I had it out, I decided to take a whack at something I have often thought about; reducing the noise and vibration. Nothing stinks more than a kid getting up in the middle of the night to piddle, and waking up the rest of the camper with the water pump.
Dumpster, nice idea! I agree, water pumps are noisy, especially in the middle of the night! I Screwed mine into the floor through about an inch of medium density foam. This has helped decrease the noise, but I like your idea better. Might just give it a try.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #236
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Water Heater, or Accident Waiting to Happen?

I have been pretty nervous about my water heater since the beginning. I mean come on, it's 41 years old! But I'm cheap. Before our maiden voyage, I was working on the ignitor, trying to get it to work into the dark of the evening. This is when I noticed for the first time that the flames don't stay in the burner tube. They actually creep out, and up the outside. I have always figured this was kind of bad, so I babysit it while I am heating up water (read- I sit in a chair, drink beer, and face the general direction of the WH). Well I have stumbled upon several pictures of old Bowen water heaters lately, and they all seem to have the same skunked look-

Name:	DSCN1837.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	133545

-leading me to wonder if they always did that. So if you have one of these old timers, what say you? Are you flamin' in, or out?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #237
Rivet Master

Quote:
I have been pretty nervous about my water heater since the beginning. I mean come on, it's 41 years old! But I'm cheap. Before our maiden voyage, I was working on the ignitor, trying to get it to work into the dark of the evening. This is when I noticed for the first time that the flames don't stay in the burner tube. They actually creep out, and up the outside. I have always figured this was kind of bad, so I babysit it while I am heating up water (read- I sit in a chair, drink beer, and face the general direction of the WH). Well I have stumbled upon several pictures of old Bowen water heaters lately, and they all seem to have the same skunked look-

Attachment 133545

-leading me to wonder if they always did that. So if you have one of these old timers, what say you? Are you flamin' in, or out?
My '64 had a nest in the burner tube and a bunch of crap. I had to scrape the charred remains of it out of the tube because I didn't see it soon enough. After that the flames stayed in the tube, except when I would light it: the flames would jump over to the control knob, where it was leaking gas out of the seal that allows you to push the knob down. I haven't thrown it away yet because the tank is super perfect inside. I doubt it's worth getting a new controller for. I will probably get one with electronic ignition next time I spend money on Bullwinkle.

Cheers,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #238
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Cold Beer

Now that I have your attention-

I picked this up for the price of a tank of gas yesterday.

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	135580

Best case scenario-It needs a good burping, a new T-Stat, or a new switch.

Worst case scenario-It needs a new cooling unit. Ok. In fairness, worst case scenario could could be all of the above. But I have my fingers crossed.

The old fridge actually works very well. But the door doesn't close very well, which means if I am not around it is always slightly open. And the freezer barely has room for a pot pie.

Fingers crossed.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #239
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Bummer

Ok, burpy no worky.

I expected that, I guess. So I ripped the old cooling unit out, which was a royal PITA, but only took about an hour. Then I spent about an hour pricing new ones. Prices are all over the map. But my inclination is to replace it, as I will have a new fridger for about a third of new. Still pondering.

Laterz

Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #240
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
New Cooling Unit on the Way

So I did all of my research and ordered my new cooling unit this morning. It should arrive in plenty of time to make this my weekend project. I found a fellow that offers a 2 year warranty and 5 year leak warranty (entire unit, not just evaporator). After core return, it is $395. Compared to new, I think this is a worthwhile investment.

So if anyone is looking for an RM70 in this area, I posted to the classifieds. It works great, it is just old. Sort of like me.