Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
What's wrong with the curtains? They look great to me!

Chris

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #182
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Old and Older

We stayed in an RV Park this weekend. This isnít something we normally do. However, this one was pretty special. It is actually in the Beartooth Mountains, right on a river. Couple that with having hookups and pretty much the whole place to ourselves and you have yourself a pretty okee-dokee camping experience.

The purpose of the campground was my brother. He and his girlfriend (in their í55 FC) had friends in from out of town and wanted access to showers (other than the very little one in the Cloud). We drew a fair amount of attention from the sparse population of other campers in the Park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0618.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	108856 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0616.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	108857

I have to admit that although I would way rather camp in my trailer, I was several shades of green with envy over the í55. That is the definition of Vintage. I guess it is hard to overcome 13 panels. She is a little beauty, but not without issues. But Iíll bet they never get asked if it is brand new. Oh yeah- it's Ohio-built, so no whale of a tail.

I will be back later with some issues/minor projects later.

Just because you are unique, doesn't mean you are useful.
Dumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #183
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
Very cool Chris. I am green with envy that you are able to use your trailer. Very Nice!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow! I like it! I have to read back and see what were your issues with the Prodigy.. how is the Brakesmart working better for you?

What did you use to replace the trim around the top interior endcap with? Looks like alumanum trim of some sort? I'd love to replace the bronze trim in the Argosy with this!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #185
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Uh Oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Wow! I like it! I have to read back and see what were your issues with the Prodigy.. how is the Brakesmart working better for you?
I didn't mean to start a pissin' match about brake controllers, but since I made disparaging remarks about an obviously popular and well respected product, I guess I should explain myself before I am cyber-flogged. <Disclaimer: the opinions that follow are exactly that; opinions. They are not meant to be inflammatory or to start a flame session on my or anyone else's person. And I am not a paid spokesperson for Brakesmart, since they went out of business, which begs the question: how could they be so great if they went belly up? Disclaimer over>

I have always hated my Prodigy. Please keep in mind that it was the first controller I ever used, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. It seemed to work fine at speeds over 5-10 MPH, and I had no complaints. But anything under that was jerky to point of my wanting to smash it with a hammer. While cruising a parking lot or campground, barely touching the brake pedal would result in near full lockup,but inconsistently. So I couldn't adjust a setting because sometimes it happened, and others it didn't. I even had it replaced, twice, to no avail. If it would have been easier to unplug the molex, I would have just done that to save the grief. Also, this same problem was magnified by a factor of at least 4 going down a hill slowly.
The other thing that chapped my hiney was you had to be decelerating for it to work. Stopped on a steep incline? No brakes. I was almost in a life-threatening situation climbing an incredibly steep incline on a dirt road. I had to stop for a deer. Once I was at a stop, the trailer brakes let up and we actually started lurching backwards a little. Now granted, the trailer probably wouldn't have pulled us back off that cliff. However, it was a very unnerving feeling, and I didn't like having to toss my beer out the window so I could hit the manual lever (I am joking about the beer. They outlawed open containers in cars in Montucky over a year ago).
So in a nutshell, using the Brakesmart is almost 100% seamless braking in every condition. I can't begin to describe the confidence I feel knowing that it is reading brake pressure, not inertia. Does everyone need one? Nope. Will the Prodigy work just as well in a panic stop situation? Most likely. Would I buy another one at full price even after getting this one for 50 bucks? In a flippin' heartbeat.

Quote:
What did you use to replace the trim around the top interior endcap with? Looks like alumanum trim of some sort? I'd love to replace the bronze trim in the Argosy with this!
Marc
Could you paint me a little better picture of what trim? I am sorry, but my normally dim light bulb is extra low being a Monday and all.

Thanks for the kind words/questions and opportunity to make amends with anyone I have potentially offended. Just because they have bad taste in brake controllers doesn't mean they are bad people. Nyuck, nyuck. Come on, lets all laugh a little. I am even going to use one of these goofy little things.......

Old 08-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #186
Two Montana hippies

1968 26' Overlander
Red Lodge , Montana
old and older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
We stayed in an RV Park this weekend. This isn’t something we normally do. However, this one was pretty special. It is actually in the Beartooth Mountains, right on a river. Couple that with having hookups and pretty much the whole place to ourselves and you have yourself a pretty okee-dokee camping experience.
Beartooth Mountains in Montana? If yes, were you also in Red Lodge? I saw some beautiful airstreams pass through our little town recently was wondering if it was you. Which RV Park are you referring to?
68lovebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ha ha! No Dump, no trauma with me, I was just wondering if I was missing something better than my 'ol Prodegy... I hear you about the reversing... I used to have a real old inertia by Haynes or someone, now THAT was a bad one.. lockup up over bumps, more braking going down vs up, etc. Always like to hear about improvements!

That trim... on page 13, where you posted a pic of your dinette, the trim in question is silver (chrome?) and goes right above the drapes (which look pretty good!) from one side of the cap to the other. About 1" wide?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #188
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Gotcha On the Trim

Quote:
Ha ha! No Dump, no trauma with me, I was just wondering if I was missing something better than my 'ol Prodegy... I hear you about the reversing... I used to have a real old inertia by Haynes or someone, now THAT was a bad one.. lockup up over bumps, more braking going down vs up, etc. Always like to hear about improvements!

That trim... on page 13, where you posted a pic of your dinette, the trim in question is silver (chrome?) and goes right above the drapes (which look pretty good!) from one side of the cap to the other. About 1" wide?
Marc
The Brakesmart IS a vast improvement all around. There is no comparison. Ahemm.....

That piece that you are referring to is original. It was covered with the same material that was used for the drapes via some sort of adhesive. It was a bugger to get the fabric off, but the glue came off very easily with thinner. Then I just polished it by hand with a towel and some good ole' Diamond Brite polish.

Sadly, I have a fair amount of gold colored aluminum trim in mine as well. Any of it that I can easily remove I simply spray paint silver.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #189
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
That Must Have Been Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lovebus View Post

Beartooth Mountains in Montana? If yes, were you also in Red Lodge? I saw some beautiful airstreams pass through our little town recently was wondering if it was you. Which RV Park are you referring to?
You nailed it. What a small world. We stayed at Perry's, which I always thought was such a joke. But that is because I didn't know that they had 40 spots right on Rock Creek. I thought what you saw from the road is what you get. Great place, super nice owner. We sat up with him one night and enjoyed adult beverages around his bon fire. Good times. The bears were thick as thieves, though. I guess one gentleman was rudly awoken from a nap in his lawn chair by a bear licking his face. He must have had BBQ for lunch and didn't clean up properly. They don't bug me a bit, but I can't let the kids wander far when I know they are around. I read in the paper you have been having big time problems with them this year. Between that an Soda Butte, I am very happy to have an aluminum tent to sleep in.

Good to hear from you. Red Lodge is considered my second home since I spent my summers up there with grand parents on South Adams.

Cheers

Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #190
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Marc, found a pic

Marc,

I found a picture of how that piece looked before I got ahold of it. Seeing this makes me say "We've come a long way, baby".

Name:	IMG_4449.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	108945

Old 08-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #191
Two Montana hippies

1968 26' Overlander
Red Lodge , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpster View Post
You nailed it. What a small world. We stayed at Perry's, which I always thought was such a joke. But that is because I didn't know that they had 40 spots right on Rock Creek. I thought what you saw from the road is what you get. Great place, super nice owner. We sat up with him one night and enjoyed adult beverages around his bon fire. Good times. The bears were thick as thieves, though. I guess one gentleman was rudly awoken from a nap in his lawn chair by a bear licking his face. He must have had BBQ for lunch and didn't clean up properly. They don't bug me a bit, but I can't let the kids wander far when I know they are around. I read in the paper you have been having big time problems with them this year. Between that an Soda Butte, I am very happy to have an aluminum tent to sleep in.

Good to hear from you. Red Lodge is considered my second home since I spent my summers up there with grand parents on South Adams.

Cheers
Very small world. So many beautiful airstreams passing through our little town this time of the year. We jump out of our skin everytime we see one. (bad case of silver seeking disease) Especially a beautifully renovated one like yours. Good to know that there is more to Perry's RV than what is on the surface. So few campgrounds around here with long enough spaces.

To say we are "thick with bears" right now is somewhat of an understatement. They are everywhere and they are hungry. The city installed bear proof cans last year and now that bears have learned about those big white things called refrigerators and freezers. All conveniently located inside open windows and behind screened doors. As a result, many "home invasions" occuring on almost a daily basis. Funny you mentioned reading a story in the paper about the bears. I wonder if it was one of my stories. I am a reporter for the local newspaper. Here's a link to a story I wrote around the time you were passing through Red Lodge. The bear pictured is one we locals call "Yogi". He is quite large. Biggest black bear I've ever seen. Fat as a polar bear and crazy for ice cream.

Carbon County News

Put us on your friends list and let us know next time you pass through town. We'll show you our AS if you show us yours We have a 68 Overlander. Currently under renovation. We removed the bed in front to build a larger bed, found a rotted out hole under the bed, which then led us to find a leaky window seal, which made us decide to tear out the stinky old carpet and replace it with vinyl flooring, which led us to find mouse poop and urine everywhere, which answered the question of why it was so stinky in there, which made us decide to also remove the second bed and replace it with something else, and so on and so forth....
Regards,
Patti (and David)
68lovebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #192
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
What's The Secret Here?

So my new window showed up today. Suffice it to say, I am excited to get it in. The one obstacle to that happening is getting the old one out. My owner's manual says there is supposed to be a bolt here. Obviously, that isn't the case on my windows. So am I drilling out these rivets, or is there some other magic trick that I am too dense to figure out or not?

Name:	DSCN0640[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	108977

If anyone knows, I would very much appreciate the secret.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
My 71 has small little "C" clips that hold the rod on. They are a B*t*h to get off. The ones I have removed I replaced the clip with a 1/4" snapring

TTFN
Kip
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
On my '72, there's a cap nut on the end of the rod. The rod curves, goes through the hole, and then the nut is screwed onto the rod. I don't think you want to drill out the 4 rivets that hold the pivot piece onto the window - unless you need to move that piece to the replacement window.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #195
The truth has no agenda

1970 27' Overlander
Katy , Texas
mine all seemed to be a press fit brass clip tat was on there. the only way I found to get them off was to use a drimmel and cut them off. I then drilled a hole through the window prop so that I could use a standard cotter pin to hold it on...

Was it you that bought the window/frame from the classifieds? what about the ebay window as well... I tried to get both of them with NO success...
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #196
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thanks

Mine don't have c-clips or bolts, which would make too much sense. I re-read my owner's manual, and it just says "remove retainer". So it sounds like cutting something is my only option. That is what I was planning if a simpler option didn't presnet itself.

Michael, I did snap up the one off the classifieds. Sorry. But I sent you an email with a link to the one on Ebay Sunday or Monday, so I wasn't your competition on that one. Especially since they are the same size window. I was hoping you were the winner of that auction.

This one is brand new from the factory, still in the original box. It is strange that someone ordered it with the outer frame as well.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #197
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Bedford , Texas
Looks great! Hey do you have your old airconditioning shroud. I need that type. Want to sell it??? Where did you get your foam????
chronoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #198
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Foam and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoboat View Post
Looks great! Hey do you have your old airconditioning shroud. I need that type. Want to sell it??? Where did you get your foam????
I hung on to the shroud as long as I could stand it (had it in the classifieds). Now it is taking up space in the local landfill. It's too bad, because it was in pretty good shape.

I searched for hours and hours on the net for the best deal on foam. My research revealed the hands-down best deal can be had at Foam Factory - HD36 Regular Foam. This is the grade foam I purchased for the both the dinette and kid's bunks. The 4" is more than adequate. This place offers free shipping on orders over $100, which sweetens the pot even more.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #199
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
I Can See Clearly Now

Got 'er done. Wow, what am improvement. 1 down, 3 to go.

Name:	DSCN0641.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	109014 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0642.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	109015

Name:	DSCN0643.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	109016

I've been working too hard. I think I deserve a day of fishing.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #200
Looking for John Galt

Currently Looking...
Banjo , Montucky
Thanks Jim & Susan

Well, I thought I was going to have an off-topic post today, with lots of pictures of big, fat Yellowstone River Browns. But alas, the fishing gods wouldn't have it. It was still a nice day and 13 mile float.

So instead of checking my fly rods for stress cracks from fighting large fish, I put some salvaged parts from Jim and Susan to good use. Despite my best efforts with the silver spray paint can, I wasn't too keen on how the oven looked. Thankfully, AS decided to do away with painting the tempered glass green sometime post 1970, and Jim wasn't using his. He also had a couple of other oven parts that were very much needed so mine would close properly. I am pretty pleased. Thanks again, Jim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0646.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	109096