Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1970 - 1973 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #61
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Question to all who speak of lingering odor to be detected by dogs... Do any of you realize how many people in this country smoke pot? I mean seriously, a lot of people smoke pot. If lingering odors were cause to set off the dogs, the dogs would be going crazy. Lingering odors would make the work of dogs impossible. They search for emanating odors, not lingering ones.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Just read this whole thread. And I thought this forum was getting a little BORING. Heck. Now THIS is a story.

That'll teach me..... wait did I say that before.... wait... teeth...
Yes, this one livened things up.

My suggestion is to drive directly to the Canadian border to see if you were successful getting all the residue out. LOL! Seriously, I'd call the police and have them dispose of what is most likely "Dirt" and I'd ask them if they'd please bring their dogs so that you can be certain to get it all out. Ask them if you can have their dogs take another sniff once you've cleaned it thoroughly. Otherwise, you might end up someday posting a REALLY interesting thread from jail if your unusual streak of luck continues.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Arizona, NM, and Cal. all permit medical marijuana. I wonder what happens when cancer patients or those with severe pain come to a checkpoint?

As for the Canadian border, I think Canada is an exporter, or at least BC is, so you're probably good going there. Coming back, the US is more interested in fruit than anything else.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #64
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
You just show your card. Half the college students in Boulder have them. Try the peanut butter brownies.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Question to all who speak of lingering odor to be detected by dogs... Do any of you realize how many people in this country smoke pot? I mean seriously, a lot of people smoke pot. If lingering odors were cause to set off the dogs, the dogs would be going crazy. Lingering odors would make the work of dogs impossible. They search for emanating odors, not lingering ones.
You are right, lingering "odors" from pot or any other substance are nothing to be concerned about. However, an undiscovered stash or residue of crystal meth (or crack) is something to be diligent and serious about.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
There's no way I'd call the police in. Billy Bob doesn't know your address. Quite frankly, the police don't want to be bothered with it. I had a car stolen & it had drugs in it when I got it back from the police impound. I showed them & nothing became of it at the guy's trial who was caught with the car. Are you really going to ever cross a border, say in the next year? Doesn't everyone who gets a new to them trailer clean them spotlessly so you have your germs in it & not someone elses? I think everyone is a bit paranoid about the drugs. Unless you think you're going to have a run it with the law, flush it & be done (or scatter it somewhere, or bury it, or whatever). That's what I would do. And then go camping!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
There's no way I'd call the police in. Billy Bob doesn't know your address. Quite frankly, the police don't want to be bothered with it. I had a car stolen & it had drugs in it when I got it back from the police impound. I showed them & nothing became of it at the guy's trial who was caught with the car. Are you really going to ever cross a border, say in the next year? Doesn't everyone who gets a new to them trailer clean them spotlessly so you have your germs in it & not someone elses? I think everyone is a bit paranoid about the drugs. Unless you think you're going to have a run it with the law, flush it & be done (or scatter it somewhere, or bury it, or whatever). That's what I would do. And then go camping!
I it is the unplanned run in with the law that is the concern. The assumption that every law enforcement agency will act the same when it comes to drugs could be a costly mistake, every department and agency have different agendas. If the local voters just passed a bond to buy drug sniffing dogs the local law enforcement will be out to prove their worth. I have always cleaned anything new to me such as boats, cars, trailers, house and so on. I inspect them from top to bottom, normally with a very bright flash light. I like to know the wheels will stay on, the roof ins't leaking or if a the seacock is about to pop out the hull. But that is just me.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #68
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
I can tell you if you can keep a secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Sandy:

How do you know; oh I seeee. Never Mind
Ask me in 30 years; I'll know the answer then .
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Hunting and fishing for what????
Flat tailed, furry dam builders?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #70
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Quite frankly, the police don't want to be bothered with it.
Quote:
I think everyone is a bit paranoid about the drugs. Unless you think you're going to have a run it with the law, flush it & be done (or scatter it somewhere, or bury it, or whatever). That's what I would do. And then go camping!
I'm with Becky! Got a good price, clean it, go camping.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #71
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
You got a great campfire story for years to come...hope your laughing about it, or will soon, because we all are.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Deliverance?

Gene
I hear dueling banjos. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Need more motivation to clean & inspect? Think bundles of fifties and hundreds .. I once found $800 under the back seat of a VW bug that was going junkyard bound. Go on, scoot - go pull some panels
Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bought an Airstream from a Psycho :)

Greetings Waggiteer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
Need more motivation to clean & inspect? Think bundles of fifties and hundreds .. I once found $800 under the back seat of a VW bug that was going junkyard bound. Go on, scoot - go pull some panels
Your luck is certainly better than mine! The most that I have found was when I cleaned up my New Beetle Convertible after purchase and found a neon green golf visor along with a box of six neon green golf balls -- the car was used for six months by one of the dealership executive's wives so assumed that they were likely hers -- they matched the green of the car . . .

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #75
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The kind of things I used to find in used cars included bad carburetors, worn seats, oil leaks, bad tires, broken radios, worn clutches and bad oil pumps and I sure would have been glad if the previous owners left $800 to fix those things.

Gene
Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Wow.... only $1500! That's it!

I already have my dream Airstream, but I need to start paying attention. There simply must be more mental cripples out there. LOL

You did good, on all counts.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
If it were me, I would call the local LEO's and let them deal with it. Had it been small bit of M/J, I would just clean it out, but with meth or coke, I'd turn it over to them.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Colden , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
I'm sure you've already decided that Bob is a long gone issue at this point. My only issue here would be the lingering smell/toxins in the cushons and the like. I would consider everything made of fabric to be toxic and treat it as such.
You know, we were talking of build wood cabinets to replace the "plastic-wood" interior, and after this find our decision was made for us....
jlfaulring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Colden , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113 View Post
If it were me, I would call the local LEO's and let them deal with it. Had it been small bit of M/J, I would just clean it out, but with meth or coke, I'd turn it over to them.
Honestly, I took the pipe and baggie and stuck it in the garbage bag with the shag carpet and tossed it to the curb. Small quantity and no proof linking it to Bob, what was the point other than me wasting my time filing a bottom file bound report....
jlfaulring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #80
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfaulring View Post
Honestly, I took the pipe and baggie and stuck it in the garbage bag with the shag carpet and tossed it to the curb
Certainly the simple thing, but, what about that neighbor you can't stand—put it in his garbage (actually I wouldn't do that either, but so tempting).

Gene