Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy All Alone?

Am I all alone in this forum for 73 Overlanders? What a shame, We really enjoy ours! It is the perfect size for us, in that we have 4 in our family and take quite a few short weekend trips and maybe 1 or 2 long trips a year. It has been a real joy for our 2 girls to go camping just as I had done when I was younger.

Hope to see someone here soon,

Rick
73ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Never alone

Rick
You and family are never 'alone'..It matters not what age your unit is or, the size..We're all one here.
Welome~!
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
All Alone?

Greetings Rick, and welcome to the Forum!

You are not alone in Overlander ownership. There are a number of Overlander owners out there, and at least one or two are similar in vintage to yours. I agree with you that they are a wonderful size for comfortable travel. My '64 Overlander has accompanied me on trips all over the country. It may get a bit of a rest this summer as the plan calls to tow the Minuet to the International Rally in Vemont with the '75 Cadillac.

Again, Welcome to the Forum!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 12:45 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hi Rick!

Welcome to the forum. No you are not alone even though we may not own your model of Airstream. Your questions and observations are always welcome. Many of us read all the posts no matter the forum title so don't fear that you will be posting out to cyber space!

Regards,

Jaclk
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Smile Thanks for the Welcome!

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I am pleased to have found this forum, We have owned Andy, as the girls(4 & 5) call it, for 3 years now and have not had to put alot of work into the A/S. The previous owners were the original purchasers and kept really good care of the old girl. My first real project with her is clearcoating . She has a small spot starting to peel on the front top corner curbside. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, thanks so much for the pleasant welcomes!!!

Rick
Old 03-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
All Alone?

Greetings Rick!

RE: Plasticoat (Clear Coat)

The Plasticoat is a specialized product developed especially for Airstream and is available only to professional installers. It is possible to buy small, pressurized cans for small repairs; but beyond that it is a professional job.

You are less than a days drive from one of the few places in the country that has the background to properly prep and apply the Plasticoat system. P & S Trailer Service, located in Helena, OH, is only about five to six hours from Indianapolis; and they do excellent work (IMHO). They are well-known for their total strip, polish, and recoat; but they also consider spot repairs where the balance of the coach's Plasticoat is in good condition. Their web site is:

P and S Trailer Service, Helena, OH

The Ruth's (P & S Trailer Service) stripped, polished, and Plasticoated my Overlander just a little over a year ago; and I am truly pleased with their work and the quality of their product. A photo of the finished product is below:

It started from this rather dull beginning:

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-01-2003, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
What you talkin' bout Andy?,

I have a 74 OV, probably identical to your 73! Got some pics?. I have few in the "For sale and wanted forum", a thread called "what to expect?". Sort of a chronology of my search for my Overlander. Hope to get some on the Airstreamphoto site soon, right now I have some of my ex-Argosy pics on there. I think the only difference between the 73 and 74 models was the gray water tank being standard on the 74's. Do you have the "L" lounge or the gaucho across the front?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 07:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

73 overlander

Hey, thanks for the info Kevin, your overlander looks awesome!
Does P&S charge about $100 a foot? Ours is still pretty shinny, but to have a "mirror" A/S would be sweet. Did they tell you how to maintain the mirror finish?

Hey Chas, ours has the front gaucho,rear bath,and center gaucho. And as you stated, we do not have a grey tank.
I would like to post some pics but I have not looked into what it takes to post it to this site. Is it easy to do? I already have many pics saved on the computer from our digital camera.

rick
Old 03-02-2003, 08:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
All Alone?

Greetings Rick!

RE: Professional Polishing

The full-service job (stripping Plasticoat, polishing, and new Plasticoat) ran very nearly $175.00 per linear foot measured from coupler to rear bumper. There was an upcharge on my coach due to a badly scratched panel on the curbside - - a previous owner had evidently tried to polish the coach with either steel wool or sandpaper leaving many surface scratches to remove (the upcharge was about $600 I don't have the paperwork handy for the exact figure).

Maintenance of the finish is basic to all Plasticoated Airstreams. Regular baths with a mild soap and semi-annual applications of Walbernize. The Spring Walbernizing is on my first priority list once I get the coach back from its stay at the Airstream Spa in Cedar Falls, IA where it is being readied for the coming travel season.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 03-02-2003, 09:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Hello fellow Overlander owners...

Mine is a 72 Overlander. I've had it for a year and a half now, and am just slowly working on it and modernizing the interior. I've got 3 more years until my son is in college, than I am hitting the road!

Question about the finish on it. It appears that my trailer is actually painted. It is an aluminum looking finish and in a few places is coming loose and can be scraped off. Am I mistaking this finish for the Plasicote everyone talks about? It is definitely original and not something that someone did to it after the factory.

I have been thinking about getting the trailer painted rather than stripped and polished. I know I won't have the time to maintain the polished look, although I do love the way it looks. There are some awesome automotive paints that look exactly like aluminum. I figure that way I can have the small dents and scrapes repaired like body work, then painted. It will look brand new... aside from the high polish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated regarding my current finish.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bfrankli/airstream.htm

Barry
1972 Overlander
1992 GMC Suburban
Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Rick,

Sounds like we have identical floorplans though I did put a matress in place of the rear gaucho, thought it strange to have a gaucho in the rear which is basically a bedroom.

Just watch your file size when posting pictures, I have to change the size whenever I upload images from my camera to my computer. If at first you don't succeed try again and again if needed, we are all learning here!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
All Alone?

Greetings Barry!

RE: Finish on Your Trailer

I perused your site, and your trailer's finish isn't terribly different from where my Overlander started. It is diffidult to tell, however, whether your coach has a paint finish or Plasticoat. Originally, it would have had a Plasticoat finish, but over the years it has not been uncommon for coaches to be painted - - especially after storm or accident damage was deemed too expensive to remedy via panel replacements to maintain original "raw" aluminum finish. Peeling Plasticoat usually has a "chalky" appearance (especially along the edges where the Plasticoat bonding with the aluminum is beginning to fail); and the exposed aluminum will, in time, oxidize to dark gray - - but the same thing would happen if a paint finish were to peel.

In either case refinishing will likely require removing the existing finish. If it is a paint finish, you may find some kind of damage being masked by the paint - - such as hail or minor accident damage repaired with typical auto-body type remedies. Based upon estimates to refinish my Argosy Minuet, the cost of professional repainting a coach will not be greatly different than the sripping/polish/Plasticoat operation on my Overlander. The painting estimate for my Minuet fell a few dollars short of $4,000. The regular maintenance for the painted finish isn't that different from the regular maintenance for the Plasticoated finish. From what I have been able to learn, the Plasticoated finish should last nearly, if not as long, as long as a painted finish with similar maintenance.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 04-07-2003, 01:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 too

You are definitely not alone. I purchased a 1973 Overlander last year to restore and use. And I have an 8 week old and a 2 year old. Thus, I still have a 1973 Overlander yet to be completed. Inside - new tambour doors, new curtains, and lots of cleaning. Outside..... so I wont be invited into the Wagon Wheel and will probably be asked to park the next campground over.... Now, if I could just find some time to use it.
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

'73 Overlanders!!!!

Hey Repodog, sounds like you are going to have many fun hours ahead of you! \
But it will be worth it. I think the 27' er is the perfect size for camping on a weekend or taking a week long vacation.

Glad to hear there are other '73's still out there kicking.

Any pics??
Old 04-11-2003, 07:35 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I agree our Overlander so easy to travel with it is amazing.
We also bought from the original owner and everything was original. That 70's decor was so cool back then. We have moved into the 21st century and don't regret it for a second.
The Orig. Owner put a "real" mattress in when he took out the foam cushions in the center bedroom, (we thank goodness don't have guachos) and it really makes it nicer. Of course one night 2 summers ago all the orignal plastic sliders let go and the hubby had to take it all apart and redo and reinforce everything. But then again he doesn't need a hobby he has an Airstream.
We leave for Arkansas in one week and I can't wait. Spring will really be in residence down there. Even though this week it decided to hit the 60's it is still so brown and green is still almost a month away up here.
Enjoy your Overlander we really love ours.
mareinmn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 08:17 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Talking Tomorrow is the day!

I'm ready to officially join the "club!"

After making the purchase months ago, I'm finally ready to pick up my 1971 Overlander tomorrow.

It took me a while to find a cheap tow vehicle. I've so far been very happy with my new-used 1993 3/4-ton Suburban. I finally got all the wiring figured on the vehicle and on the umbilical cord and we'll see how she does tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

I'll try to post photos soon, but I don't yet have a digital camera. I'll see if I can borrow one or scan hard photos.

Hey, Mareinmn,

Have a blast in Ark.! While you're living it up in your A/S, I'll be a-workin' on mine making it ready for our Minnesota summer.

These Forums are a fantasitc!
Roundhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Hey Roundhead,
If you need a break come up to the Airstream Park this weekend.
There should be lots of us airstreamers getting ready to greet spring, Hopefully anyway it will be spring at least all weekend long.
Our Trailer is still at Crystal Welding getting the bearings packed and checked out. We bring it home tonite but thought since we are leaving next Friday we will just keep it in storage and leave from town.
Being property owners and all we are going up to the park this Saturday to rake and mostly airstream chat with people we haven't seen enough of all winter. Who knows someone may have got a new or newer airstream? One couple we know of for sure has joined the 2fer club this winter.
Hope you have fun playing with the new airstream. But like I said come on up if you feel like it. our lot is A13 we are the ones with the bulldog. The map is at airstreampark.com
mareinmn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 09:57 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Hi Rick,

Well my Overlander is a '66 but I had to jump in and say hi since I noticed you are in Indy as well? I'm over on the northeast side. We're busy getting the trailer ready for our first big trip - leaving for California the first part of May.

We're heading up to Anderson tomorrow to pick up some parts at Modern Trailer - I hear they are having a "grand re-opening" sale this weekend.

Anyway, glad to see another happy Overlander owner nearby - maybe I'll see you on the road someday!
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Happy Overlander(ers)

Hey Tamara, Yes we are definetly Happy Overlanderers if there is such a word. Maybe there is now and Maybe all of us Overlanderers should start our own sub-club.

Yeah we are in Indy also, we live on the southeast side, real close to the big town of Wanamaker Indiana!

We have a trip planned for the second week of May but it is not as ambitious as California!! We are heading down to Santa Rosa Beach, FL.

I had heard that Modern Trailer Sales was having a big reopening sale after their fire.

Keep enjoying those Overlanders!!
Old 04-12-2003, 07:17 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Andy,

Well Modern Trailer had a few things we needed but not everything. Also drove up to Montpelier to check out Ickes Raymond RV Surplus - boy do they have a lot of stuff! Lots of surplus RV parts, of course no A/S stuff but if you ever need the odd part or two, they would be a good place to check.

I vote yes to the Overlanderer Club :-) Let's have an Overlander get together someday and compare notes!

Enjoy your trip to FL!
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote