Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1965-1969 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Maiden voyage 1969

After months of fixing up most of the inside (not bathroom) I have cleaned, scrubbed walls and ended up painting, sanded and clear coated all wood. Replacing broken door latches and over head latches. Cleaning mud dobbers nest out of the stove overhead vent. Ripping out the avocado green carpet (original) putting down floating vinyl flooring. Replaced all rubber seals on all windows, door and outside compartments. Replaced two plastic vent covers on the top (1 large 1 small) and new seals on all three upper vents. Replaced all small running lights (12) discovered the one by the kitchen window was the reason for years and years of leaking. The black plug that was supposed to be around the wire to keep water out was gone. Filled that with the good old A/S calking. New Tires.

Our family reunion was in Kansas total trip 527 miles. We drove in the rain from Oklahoma to Kansas. It rained Friday night and most of the day Saturday. NO LEAKS! But there wasn't any of that Oklahoma 60mph winds. I was so excited that there weren't any leaks. We did have road water leak around the fenders (they need replaced apparently in the past 37 years tires have blown out and trashed the plastic covers over the wheels). Future repairs!

I am fixing to gut the bathroom beings the toilet is already out. I want to replace the floor and refinish all the plastic walls, tub, and sink.

CJ of Okla
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Cool! Good luck with the rest of the rehab. Aren't Airstreams great!
George
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
George, we seen a Bambi on HWY 75 only guess it was going to Kansas as we were on our way home. The front window had a piece of plywood for the window. We were looking at a 1979 parked on the side of the HWY in Bartlesville, OK to get info to put on the Fourm incase someone was looking for a A/S. But no place to pull off, I looked up and the Bambi was going the other direction. They are so cool.
AIR #18751
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hi CJ, greetings from Lawton. Sounds like you have made great progress on your AS. Do you have pics we can see?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Rodney, As I have felt like this was a one women show, I did all the work on the inside. My son helped pull up the old carpet and lay the new floor cover. He also helped put the insulation back in the front under the window and replace the inside wall, window trim, curtain tracking. Without his help I wouldn't have been able to have gone on the trip. I will take some photos of the inside.
AIR #18751
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Talking Hi from Kansas!

Hi CJ -

WE WILL BE TAKING OUR MAIDEN VOYAGE NEXT WEEK!!!!

It's be a long struggle for our Sovereign too. We went ahead and stripped out the bathroom and repaired and/or replaced everything.

We will be using an ice chest/cooler for our first campout as the refrigerator isn't set in yet. Previous owners had cut apart the cabinet, including the vent, so that will be our project over the winter. But we have put in a new cook top, all new gas lines, plumbing, new flooring, new mattresses, curtains, etc. On the outside, new lights, axles, brakes, wheels, tires, four new windows (including two curved ones) and plugged a variety of leaks. Basically, we'll have a whole new trailer when we are finished.

BUT AIN'T IT GRAND!!!???

Say, but the way, where in Kansas did you visit? We were on I-70 Saturday and Sunday to attend a wedding in Colby. Saw four AS, 3 were new, the other was very old but not a Sovereign.

Hope to see you and your silver baby sometime.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
Big Hill Lake, Cherryvale, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
Hi CJ -

WE WILL BE TAKING OUR MAIDEN VOYAGE NEXT WEEK!!!!

It's be a long struggle for our Sovereign too. We went ahead and stripped out the bathroom and repaired and/or replaced everything.

We will be using an ice chest/cooler for our first campout as the refrigerator isn't set in yet. Previous owners had cut apart the cabinet, including the vent, so that will be our project over the winter. But we have put in a new cook top, all new gas lines, plumbing, new flooring, new mattresses, curtains, etc. On the outside, new lights, axles, brakes, wheels, tires, four new windows (including two curved ones) and plugged a variety of leaks. Basically, we'll have a whole new trailer when we are finished.

BUT AIN'T IT GRAND!!!???

Say, but the way, where in Kansas did you visit? We were on I-70 Saturday and Sunday to attend a wedding in Colby. Saw four AS, 3 were new, the other was very old but not a Sovereign.

Hope to see you and your silver baby sometime.

We went to my Tharp Family Reunion at Big Hill Lake, Cherryvale, Kansas. We came through Independence, KS-Caney, KS-Copan, KS- Dewey, OK- Bartlesville,OK- Tulsa, OK to Oklahoma City, OK.

I really wanted to gut our trailer and fix everything BUT my hubby's eyes popped out of his head and he started hyper ventilating, so that idea went out the window. BUT I am going to try and gut the bathroom, depends if I can get the bathtub out without having to remove the divider wall between the center beds and the bathroom. Maybe one wall will work. The hotwater tank is hidden in there somewhere, would like to put in a new one and not even worrie with the old one. Just give me a drill and stand back I am good at taking things apart.

CJ of Okla
AIR #18751

Tags
1969 sovereign