Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Darn it! I can't believe I did that - 1969!

Hello everyone. I am the very proud owner of a 75 Tradewind and a 69 Sovereign. This is my first posting. I bought my 69 3 years ago for a song. It is almost pristine inside. Just a few things to repair. The outside is another story. Plenty of war wounds. I'm gonna learn how to rivet and do the repairs myself. I pulled it home to my driveway a couple of weeks ago. A little long to fit behind my gate so I removed the gate. Silly me! I propped the gate gingerly against the trailer. What was I thinking, &(@$$@?@! a bolt tapped against the curbside wing and shattered it!!!! Darn it!!! A 69 wing!! Not made anymore with glass! Shoot!!!! I loved that my 69 had all it's glass! Shoot! Anyone know anyone that's parting out and has a glass wing? Otherwise I will have to use the plastic. I really want glass. Unless someone can tell me that the plastic. Is somehow better other than it's less breakable.

Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Darn! Darn! Darn! ...

Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...but seriously, there are about three or four Airstreams in my area that I will take a closer look at and find their year makes...so I'll do my part.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug View Post
Hello everyone. I am the very proud owner of a 75 Tradewind and a 69 Sovereign. This is my first posting. I bought my 69 3 years ago for a song. It is almost pristine inside. Just a few things to repair. The outside is another story. Plenty of war wounds. I'm gonna learn how to rivet and do the repairs myself. I pulled it home to my driveway a couple of weeks ago. A little long to fit behind my gate so I removed the gate. Silly me! I propped the gate gingerly against the trailer. What was I thinking, &(@$$@?@! a bolt tapped against the curbside wing and shattered it!!!! Darn it!!! A 69 wing!! Not made anymore with glass! Shoot!!!! I loved that my 69 had all it's glass! Shoot! Anyone know anyone that's parting out and has a glass wing? Otherwise I will have to use the plastic. I really want glass. Unless someone can tell me that the plastic. Is somehow better other than it's less breakable.
Plexiglass films over, turns whitish and scratches if you look at it wrong. Lexan is much better at looking like glass and much more durable down the road. The big advantage with using lexan is that you can put it in tomorrow - then IF you find a replacement window later you can always buy it and use it.

Sorry about your loss but Lexan will make it look all better.

Keep your eyes open, there are literally thousands of beat to crap wrecked RV's hiding in the weeds or being used as chicken coops. One of them has your wing window.

Paula
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Original 69 wing windows are unique (3 right angle corner)s and not easy to come by. They can be found from time to time so keep looking and go with a lexan replacement in the mean time.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Wing windows

1969 wing windows, are still available, but not cheap.

Your homeowners insurance should cover that boo-boo.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again

Plexiglass films over, turns whitish and scratches if you look at it wrong. Lexan is much better at looking like glass and much more durable down the road. The big advantage with using lexan is that you can put it in tomorrow - then IF you find a replacement window later you can always buy it and use it.

Sorry about your loss but Lexan will make it look all better.

Keep your eyes open, there are literally thousands of beat to crap wrecked RV's hiding in the weeds or being used as chicken coops. One of them has your wing window.

Paula
Thanks Paula. I've heard and read about the lexan. Do I have to remove the frame to install it? I'm thinking that would be a lot of work for a temporary fix. Does the Lexan bend to the shape easily? I read a post where someone heated it laying over his other wing, in his oven. Wow, removing both window frames to fix with plastic!

I'll do what I have to. I'm gonna do the lexan I guess, if u can't find a glass replacement right away. I'm hoping I can do the temporary fix without removing the frame. Ed/Breadbug
Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadbug

Thanks Paula. I've heard and read about the lexan. Do I have to remove the frame to install it? I'm thinking that would be a lot of work for a temporary fix. Does the Lexan bend to the shape easily? I read a post where someone heated it laying over his other wing, in his oven. Wow, removing both window frames to fix with plastic!

I'll do what I have to. I'm gonna do the lexan I guess, if u can't find a glass replacement right away. I'm hoping I can do the temporary fix without removing the frame. Ed/Breadbug
I meant. " if I can't find a glass replacement." Darn iPhone and my big thumps.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

In order to "properly" install the Lexan, the wind window frame must be removed from the trailer.

Then, and only then, the frame can be disassembled. Once disassembled, it's obvious how to reassemble.

In the absence of the gasket, you can seal the Lexan into the frame with Vulkem sealer.

You then can reinstall the window window into the shell using Olympic rivets, and, Vulkem sealer on the back side of the metal frame, so that it will have an absolute positive seal.

If you obtain the Lexan that has the "scratch resistance" coating on each side, that would be a huge plus. You can actually rub the surface of that type Lexan, with steel wool, and not scratch it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Yippy!!! I got my Olympic rivets and Vulkem today. I might actually get my window repaired before it starts raining. I'm so jazzed.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
When installing Lexan there is a "this side to the outside" so be sure you don't install backwards.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Did I say Yippy? I was so jazzed today at work. I got my rivets and Vulkem. I thought, "yippy, I get to finish my window repair tonight after work". My order was from Inland RV. I asked for Olympic rivets for windows on a 69. I was not specific about 1/8 inch. They sent me item #28100. They are too big to fit 1/8 inch holes. When I went on their site I couldn't even find rivets with this item number.

Anyone know the item number for 1/8 inch Olympic rivets for my window repair? Am I right here? Do I have the right rivets and I just have to re-drill the holes?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Anyone know the item number for 1/8 inch Olympic rivets for my window repair? Am I right here? Do I have the right rivets and I just have to re-drill the holes?
You will need to either use the oversize Olympics, or get a bag of 1/8" buck rivets. I have never seen 1/8" Olympics. IIRC, the drill size you would need would be a #20, or 5/32".
And before you get another surprise, did anybody tell you about shaving the Olympic rivets?
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
You will need to either use the oversize Olympics, or get a bag of 1/8" buck rivets. I have never seen 1/8" Olympics. IIRC, the drill size you would need would be a #20, or 5/32".
And before you get another surprise, did anybody tell you about shaving the Olympic rivets?
Hey there, yep, I know about shaving the rivet. Ah! So I do have to re-drill. Ok. I gotta get this window in before it rains. Any idea where to order clecos?

Tags
1969 sovereign, 31', lexan, wing window