Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Sovereign > 1965-1969 Sovereign
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Made it home to Florida, Airstream did very well on the trip-Suburban averaged about 10mpg of diesel for the whole trip, which was about 4000 miles. Good shakedown. No leaks, solar worked fine, never started the genset. Fridge worked well on electric, but not as cold on gas. I think the fridge gas control may have an issue. Tore off one of the casters on the rear bumper, bent the other-I consider them expendable, so put on two more. Worked in New Mexico two weeks to raise $$ for the return trip before the fiesta, and had a really good time there. Now will have time to put the stereo in, bought all the components before, but had no time to install them.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413163205.939238.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	701.0 KB
ID:	224236

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #42
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Sir,

What a great thread and coach! Man, you've done some mighty fine work.

Best travels to you'all take care
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Have enjoyed reading all that you have done to your Airstream. It was all worth it when you took your first trip...what a sense of accomplishment. You have a lot to be proud of.

Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Glad y'all made it home and a very impressive first trip out! I'm not that brave. Our first trip is about 3 miles away. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good to be home in Fl, isn't it? The casters did their job. Let me know how you fixed your fridge, I think I have the same problem. I'm in ne ohio in Hiram at my brothersinlaws farm. Full hookups, what a deal. Glad you had a great trip! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Will post when I find the solution. The fridge is a small early 60's unit-Have not found the correct drawing for it yet either, to start to source the parts. It cools, but won't get nearly as cold as the electric. At first the pilot would blow out when traveling but was able to close most of the bottom vent and then was ok

Old 10-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
Made it home to Florida, Airstream did very well on the trip-Suburban averaged about 10mpg of diesel for the whole trip, which was about 4000 miles. Good shakedown. No leaks, solar worked fine, never started the genset. Fridge worked well on electric, but not as cold on gas. I think the fridge gas control may have an issue. Tore off one of the casters on the rear bumper, bent the other-I consider them expendable, so put on two more. Worked in New Mexico two weeks to raise $$ for the return trip before the fiesta, and had a really good time there. Now will have time to put the stereo in, bought all the components before, but had no time to install them. Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
You say you tore off a caster and bent the other? I'd seriously consider removing them altogether. I've seen them do more damage than good and if you think about it they reduce your ground clearance. The rear end of the frame should have skid plate or drag rails not sure what exactly it called but it's designed to slide along the ground when it bottoms out. It sounds terrible as it drags on the ground but works great. Just my thoughts. Looks like you had a great trip. Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
I have plumbing connected to the black water tank that extends about 3 inches below the expensive aluminum bumper. There were a lot of scuff marks on the wheels during the trip, but on the return trip I got into some really bad on and off ramps that were under construction- my biggest fear is puncturing or ripping the valves off of the black water tank. At 30 feet, there is a lot of overhang. I welded 1/2" plates to the rear of the frame, and drilled and tapped them with 3/8" SS bolts, so,it is easy to change them. If I do remove them, it would be pretty easy to bolt skid plates in there place, which I may do for local use. This was a good trip, and I have a new punch list to take care of before the next one. The next big item is going to be building a air ride hitch for the truck, might stop some of the slamming we experienced on I-20. If anyone has any old Dometic refrigerator gas controls and burners they are willing to part with, I am in the market. Thanks to all, be safe!

Old 10-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
Spending the weekend with the Florida chapter at Daytona- Nice gathering, wonderful weather

Tags