Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > Safari slide out models - all years
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hmmm...go figure. They obviously made some changes as my GVWR is 9100 but my UVW is 6515...slightly less than yours.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Like most others we really enjoy not only the additional space but the openess in the front area. We have not had any problems with our slid. I always ensure the trailer is level, especilly front to back and the jacks are down. We did have one member of our unit who had his slide fail to close. This got me very curious so I got into the manual and studied the procedure for manual extension and retraction. This requires you to crawl under the trailer and remove several screws and remove a panel the length of the slide to access the manual extension/rectraction system. Best to do a practice run on a warn sunny day than wait for an actual failure.

We also use the spray silicone on the seal. You may want to be sure when you extend the slide the seal faces outward and when you retract it faces inward. I have had to slip my finger under the seal twice when there was a small twist. Also be sure you have adequate clearance before extention.
Never had a problem with leaks.

Larry
2004 Classic SO
2004 Silverado 3500 Duramax
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
We were looking for a 28 SO but A/S has discontinued them. Last week we called A/S and they confirmed what the local dealer told us. No more 28 SO's. So we opted for the 27 FB just last week..pick it up tomorrow. It's just us two and one 75 Lb lab...so it won't be too awful tight in there and it's still bigger than our old trailer was. THe lab likes to lay under tables too so under the larger dinette will make a nice spot for her to curl up and snooze.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324
The lab likes to lay under tables too so under the larger dinette will make a nice spot for her to curl up and snooze.
Yes, our Airedale is about that same size. Her bed goes under the dinette and we put up with that just fine. Different story when guests are in...

Congrats on picking up your new 27-footer!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Brow324,
Do you know if AS are still making the Classic SO's?
Good luck with your new 27-footer.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 28
Brow324,
Do you know if AS are still making the Classic SO's?
Good luck with your new 27-footer.
I believe they are still making the Classic 30' and Classic 34' w/so...Tom R in Two Harbors
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
TomR,
Thank You. Sure am glad we got ours. Any idea why they quit making the Safari 28SO.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
They said they had only discontinued the 28SO...but didn't say why. We spoke to both the dealer in our area and the folks at AS. But we're very happy with the 27FB.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #29

2000 34' Limited S/O
Sweeny , Texas
I have had several issues with my slide on a 2000 limited. I have had it to three differen't Airstream dealers and they have all called the factory for help in aligning the slide. Finally the last dealer said that he believes the slide has had a problem since it was made. He told us to take it to the factory and see if they could do something with it. By the way the problem is # 1 it walks out at the bottom while traveling, for this they replaced the drive motor, that as I understand , has some type of electronic brake. #2 the inner rubber seal that scrapes the water off the slide as it is retracted has not touched on one side since we have had it.The gasket was replaced and at this time we were told that we probably needed to take it to Ohio. #3 it has always sat heavily on the carpet but as yet, has not caused any wear problems. # 4 The trailer must be absolutely level with the stabilizers down for the door to operate correctly. If the wind is blowing and the trailer settles at all on the stabilizers the door will not latch. I must keep adjusting the stabilizers on the slideout side.
At this time we have not had the opportunity to take it to Ohio due to the weather.
FRaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Love It Love It Love It

We love our 30' SO and have had no problems with it ...knock wood. I too have found that leveling is semi-critical to getting the door to close / latch effortlessly. We like the way it opens up the living area. Our beagle camps out under the dinette and as we are all on the veritcally challenged side it makes the trailer seem huge. My wife and I can walk out of the trailer without having to stoop to avoid hitting our heads on the door header.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Any truth to the rumour that AS is going to discontinue all S/O's?
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #32

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRaynor
I have had several issues with my slide on a 2000 limited. I have had it to three differen't Airstream dealers and they have all called the factory for help in aligning the slide. .
I wonder if it's an issue with your trailer being a 34' unit? We've had great service on ours with this season being our fifth. I know leveling is important and my dealer warned me day one to make sure I only opened and closed the slide with the stabilizer jacks down. Did you ever move the slide unit without the jacks down?

I am also aware that there was some initial issue with the gaskets on the early slide units. I was up at Jackson Center in the summer of 2001. I met a fellow who was having his slide gaskets changed out. They had brought a fellow over from the factory to do the change since he was more familiar with the process. Supposedly it was a retrofit to bring his gaskets up to par with what was now being put on the new trailers. I wonder if you are still dealing with the original design?

Finally I'm curious regarding the slide moving. Did your slide unit come with the wings and blocks that are used to lock the slide into place. When that system is engaged, I cant see how the slide could move.

All in all, we've really not seen any major problems reported here on the Forum with the slide out units. The most common issue is the potential of water pooling on top of the slide unit in a wind driven rain. I know I agonized long and hard and got lots of advice to not go with the slide. As it has ended up I've been extremely happy with the slide and the space it gives us. In hindsight I would have a slide without reservation.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Any truth to the rumour that AS is going to discontinue all S/O's?
from looking at the a/s website,

which we all know is absolutely accurate on current models...

the 30 s/o has been discontinued.

only the 34 s/o remains, and would guess they make less than 10 of these yearly.

besides aren't they gearing up for the tow hauler models (pan american)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #34

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

only the 34 s/o remains, and would guess they make less than 10 of these yearly.

besides aren't they gearing up for the tow hauler models (pan american)

cheers
2air'
I'm not sure if this could be totally true since the web site still shows the slide out in the specs. Airstream, Inc :: Specifications Specifications

I was just out at the local dealer and he had 2, 2008 30' slide outs in stock. With the AV package they are listing out at $91,xxx. Quite a chunk of change.Even backing out the AV option the list is still $18K higher than the equivalent 2004 model. Now there have been some improvements, hickory cabinets, higher capacity frame, disk brakes, door bell, vista views.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #35
_

. , .
oh well that's why the LOL is on that line/post....

i suspect editing the specs page is harder than just dropping the floor-plan pix.

beside it was 6-8 months AFTER the 28 s/o was dropped before the website noted the change.

BT had a 34 s/o at the rv show here. sadly, it was the WORST constructed new a/s trailer i've ever seen.

took a bunch of pix (very depressing to look at) but haven't taken time to post them yet....

it seems all of their 'design' efforts are currently focused on back door units.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:

That's interesting. Colonial AS has a 2008 30' S/O in their inventory (a nice one too!)
Colonial Airstream NJ - 2008 Airstream Classic Limited S/O 30'

I wonder if they are discontinuing them for 2009. It wouldn't surprise me if they discontinued all slides as they don't sell a lot of them.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #37

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
oh well that's why the LOL is on that line/post....

i suspect editing the specs page is harder than just dropping the floor-plan pix.

beside it was 6-8 months AFTER the 28 s/o was dropped before the website noted the change.

BT had a 34 s/o at the rv show here. it was the WORST constructed new trailer i've ever seen.

took a bunch of pix (very depressing to look at) but haven't taken time to post them yet....

it seems all of their 'design' efforts are currently focused on back door units.

cheers
2air'
Quite a few of the units he had were the "back door" models. Like everything else the orders will dictate whether the slide out continues to be offered. If it doesn't sell it will disappear. Maybe it will make mine more valuable???

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
We’ve gone from a classic 30 to a classic 30 slide… could not be happier… three major reasons for upgrade: more lounge room, more countertop, better weight distribution… (being able to use the coach while ‘in-transit’ was also a real plus- some s/o are not useable unless extended)

OK, before you start flaming me on why 14% tongue weight to gross is ‘optimal’… I am speaking from my own anecdotal experience
The s/o tows like a dream compared to the 30 (somewhere ‘round 7%)…

Ditto on leveling… dead-nuts… front to back, side to side… stabs down.. we’ve had no problems at all…

We must not have experienced a real thunderstorm, because water has never been an issue… the 2” continuous rubber gasket acts like a squeegee when retracting….

My opinion on why the slides are slow movers is the towability- you need a superduty/three quarter ton vehicle *minimum* to move these coaches… (let the flames begin) if you’re a pickup person, you’ve got a lot to choose from… but if you need seating for 6+, good luck

If they are in fact discontinuing the 30 s/o, that’s a real shame…
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #39

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe

We must not have experienced a real thunderstorm, because water has never been an issue… the 2” continuous rubber gasket acts like a squeegee when retracting….

My opinion on why the slides are slow movers is the towability- you need a superduty/three quarter ton vehicle *minimum* to move these coaches… (let the flames begin) if you’re a pickup person, you’ve got a lot to choose from… but if you need seating for 6+, good luck
That top gasket while doing a great job when the slide is either fully extended or fully retracted probably suffers from the tolerances that occur in building a trailer. Fractions of an inch are enough to cause that gasket to squeege that top on some slideouts to not getting quite enough contact. I know on my unit, it's not gallons of water. It's a very small amount that really doesn't show its precence until that slide moves in as it's being retracted. As the angles change in retraction, the water starts to move off the top.

Bottom line, this only happens when we get wind driven rain that gets under the protective awning, and I've learned that when I experience one of those storms, I just use a long handled squeege to pull what little is up there off. Considering I've had this trailer for 4 seasons, I may have had to do this 3 times.

It looks like Airstream has been cognative of the hitch loads and the current specs put the hitch weight at 100-150 lbs. less than my 2004 model. This trailer tracks better than my '01 27' Safari and in strong cross winds it stays behind the van almost like it was on the same rail. I've had a hard time determining if the improvement was based on the fact that I went from a Reese Dual-Cam hitch to an Equal-i-zer, or the increased hitch weight or a combination of both factors.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
That top gasket while doing a great job when the slide is either fully extended or fully retracted probably suffers from the tolerances that occur in building a trailer. Fractions of an inch are enough to cause that gasket to squeege that top on some slideouts to not getting quite enough contact. I know on my unit, it's not gallons of water. It's a very small amount that really doesn't show its precence until that slide moves in as it's being retracted. As the angles change in retraction, the water starts to move off the top.

Bottom line, this only happens when we get wind driven rain that gets under the protective awning, and I've learned that when I experience one of those storms, I just use a long handled squeege to pull what little is up there off. Considering I've had this trailer for 4 seasons, I may have had to do this 3 times.

It looks like Airstream has been cognative of the hitch loads and the current specs put the hitch weight at 100-150 lbs. less than my 2004 model. This trailer tracks better than my '01 27' Safari and in strong cross winds it stays behind the van almost like it was on the same rail. I've had a hard time determining if the improvement was based on the fact that I went from a Reese Dual-Cam hitch to an Equal-i-zer, or the increased hitch weight or a combination of both factors.

Jack
with my sherline tongue scale:
910lbs ready for winter, no LP, no batts, small amounts of antifreeze in tanks/lines/WH
1320lbs ready for a weeklong excursion, full fresh water tank, full LP's (30#)
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote